A/C and heater controls

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

preston75052

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Whats up guys,

Question, do any of you know which actuator controls the vent/ defroster? Not the temp one from hot to cold. Right now its stuck on front facing vents and been trying to switch it to the defroster in the mornings.

If so, is that a easy one to repair or am I facing the tragedy of pulling the dash out?

Any and all feedback is appreciated!

Thanks,

tommyro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Not sure if your issue is the switch or the in dash control... On mine, it is evident that the baffle (?), or perhaps a duct(?) connector which controls where the blown air goes is partly disconnected. My on dash switch moves through the various positions as it always has, but a little air is blown through all ports at all times. Also, the fan on higher settings has a much louder and lower sound, as if some connection is not as tight as it should be. I've never fixed it because; 1- I get some air through all ports, 2- it's a work truck, 3- I have no business taking my dash apart.
I do think it's getting worse. I heard a 'clunk' the other day when first changing air flow positions and now the blower sounds the same but flow out of the ports is weaker. Not looking forward to paying someone to do this...

OP
OP
preston75052

preston75052

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
It would be super awesome if it was the dash control. these things never play in my favor through the many years of Rams i've had facing these similar issue's. I had a 02 once that had all kinds of issue and I just pulled the box from behind the dash and replaced the entire thing LOL.

But yeah, I'm getting no response when trying to adjust from vents to defroster or to floor. It's stuck! It did work for awhile, I would turn it slow, or fast to one side, then back to the desire setting and it would work sometimes. but now, it's giving me the middle finger!

I will also say, the temperature control clicks when adjusting from hot to cold or vice versa.

RR7999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’ve got the same situation on my 04 used to work till about 200,000 now just face seems like the selection actuator isn’t responding. As far as I know there is two ways to deal with the door issue. 1 is pull dash 2 is just pull center and glove cut your way in patch it with some ghetto metal hvac tape. That south main auto guy does a really good utube right fix then tons of getto cut out fix videos. I want to do it right but honestly I’m pretty good at doing getto fixes Nicky so probably what I’ll end up doing can’t have my only rig Dow that long it would take me forever to pull the dash let alone put it back together right with 260,000 almost idk how perfect I want to get probably end up being a mudder soon anyway she’s beat

joepenguin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just bit the bullet last week and tore apart my dash after 18 months of no heat (leaky heater core that I bypassed). While I was in there I also put in new blend doors from Blend door USA. That solved the directional issues on the vents beautifully. I agree with South Main Auto's assessment of not doing a ghetto fix. Before the heater died I used to have to close the vents on the passenger side to get any heat to come out of the driver vents, now the heat goes exactly where I direct without a problem and I have plenty of heat (temp this morning in CT is subzero).
If you are going to do the dash removal, full repair I recommend watching a few videos first, it wasn't too bad but it's got a lot of steps to get the dash open. I stepped through this video during my repair and it was excellent: Good luck,
Joe

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye