A/C Compressor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Primate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My A/C compressor is squealing like a pig and I’m going to swap it out with a new one which I already have. There was no system failure, works perfectly except the bearing squeal. My question is if it’s absolutely necessary to swap the accumulator as well or can I just have the system recovered at a shop then just swap the compressor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
My A/C compressor is squealing like a pig and I’m going to swap it out with a new one which I already have. There was no system failure, works perfectly except the bearing squeal. My question is if it’s absolutely necessary to swap the accumulator as well or can I just have the system recovered at a shop then just swap the compressor?

I highly suggest replacing the accumulator. The accumulator can be picked up for a cheap price and is cheap insurance especially if it is the original 13 year old part.

You can grab a new accumulator from O'Reilly Auto for $44.99

Bloody_Knuckles

USN 81-86
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
The squeal is more likely coming from the clutch. They can be bought and changed separately.

OP
OP
Primate

Primate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The squeal is more likely coming from the clutch. They can be bought and changed separately.

It squeals all the time, whether the clutch is engaged or not... but I already have the compressor so I’ll just swap it and be done with it.

OP
OP
Primate

Primate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I highly suggest replacing the accumulator. The accumulator can be picked up for a cheap price and is cheap insurance especially if it is the original 13 year old part.

You can grab a new accumulator from O'Reilly Auto for $44.99

I ordered an accumulator, your right, better safe than sorry. Any idea how much pag oil to add when replacing these two components of the system? I know the system holds 6oz total but I don’t know how much is lost in the old components and after the refrigerant is recovered.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I ordered an accumulator, your right, better safe than sorry. Any idea how much pag oil to add when replacing these two components of the system? I know the system holds 6oz total but I don’t know how much is lost in the old components and after the refrigerant is recovered.

When I replace a compressor with a new accumulator I only add 3.5oz

OP
OP
Primate

Primate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When I replace a compressor with a new accumulator I only add 3.5oz

Add all into the compressor, or should I put 2 in the compressor and 1 1/2 into the accumulator? Sorry, I’ve never worked on the A/C before...

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Add all into the compressor, or should I put 2 in the compressor and 1 1/2 into the accumulator? Sorry, I’ve never worked on the A/C before...

I would put it in the compressor but I would check to see if the compressor had been filled with oil already. If so then I wouldn't put more than 1.5ozs in the system.

I have never added oil to an accumulator during replacement. I always add oil based on how much was removed during evacuation with my A/C machine. Normally it's around 1-4ozs. depending on the size of the system.

What I do with a compressor that has a factory oil fill is drain the compressor and then inject my oil after the vacuum is complete.