a/c condenser fan not working but a/c turns on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lady

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2007 Ram 1500 2x4 Laramie fully loaded. The a/c blows cold when driving at 30 mph or greater but the a/c condenser fan does not turn on. I have looked for relays but cannot locate any which leads me to believe that the fan is switched on by the computer. How do I troubleshoot this?

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Unplug the fan, put a multimeter set to resistance and put the leads on the plug terminals (make sure it's the two actual wires that go to the motor itself). If the fan is bad (which it most likely is, they go bad, just replaced mine a couple years ago) then it will show an open circuit:

Resistance_1803.JPG

Fishstickz

Reaction score
Ram Year
'06, '16
Engine
3.7, 5.7 Hemi
As lonestar said its probably just the condenser fan. Mine went out a couple of years ago and haven’t had an issue since I replaced it

If you go to replace the fan on your own, save yourself the headache and just take a hacksaw to the plastic rather than mess with those A/C lines

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yeah, if you need to replace it you either have to evacuate the system to get it off the condenser or cut it so you can get it out.

edhead

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Dodge Ram
Engine
I had an issue with my condenser fan, it wouldn't shut off. When the temperature got above 90 here in Phoenix the fan would come on when the truck was started with the A/C in the off position. 90 isn't hot here so I tried a number of things the resolve the problem, relays, in dash controls, ect. Nothing would work. Two weeks ago I purchased a new condenser fan motor from RockAuto. NAPA does not sell just the motor. I replaced the fan motor and everything is working great. Watch a few YouTube videos and you can easily replace the fan motor yourself. It took me under two hours to complete, I wasn't hurrying. Good Luck

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990