A. C. Performance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lawman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Long thread on another forum I've been following...I just posted the following on that thread and thought some here might be interested..

Okay sorta late to this party but wanted to add my 2 cents..Found the Limited truck I wanted at a better price than I ever expected ..Just got back from test driving it and I can tell you without a doubt the a.c. does not cool nearly as well as my 2010 F150..I took digital thermometer and tested the ambient temp on my test drive..The best temp I got was after 10 minute drive including some highway speeds and the lowest it reached was 49 degrees..It took a long time to cool down the cabin and the way the vents are constructed you cannot direct the air to your body nearly to the extent that I can in my Ford..Immediately after leaving the dealership I took the same route in my Ford that I had taken in the Ram and my truck cooled down within a couple of minutes well before I reached the highway...Truck air temp was 43 within 3 minutes.. The outside temp was around 86 F..It was cloudy..The most troubling thing to me was the length of time it took for the Dodge to reach the low temp. and the fact that I was unable to direct any vents on myself..Also I might add the Ram was on full fan speed which I do not like and when I compared my Ford I never went to high on fan speed..I can tell you without reservation the difference between the the two is great..The cabin of the ram just took too long to get comfortable for Texas..I could have bought the truck at 23% below MSRP for $51,000.00 I've decided to pass...

hodl

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
FCA knocked 5th gen out of the park but A/C seems like a huge oversight. Hard to believe FCA wouldn't already know this issue existed relative to miles of pre-production butt-in-the-seat testing.

As far as cooling down the cabin I've noticed the Ram panoramic design isn't the best related to insulating outdoor temps. There's only thin cloth between that sizable panoramic glass and the cabin. The air vent pressure seems to be lacking too.

I doubt Ram/FCA has many tricks up their sleeve for the current Gen 5 A/C design but the larger crew cabin probably makes it even more challenging. I think seat ventilation is a must option for 5th gen.

Of course some 'situational' solutions are disabling the back seat a/c vents, tinting all window glass to legal limits, maybe tinting the panoramic glass, and tucking some insulation or moon blanket material between the panoramic glass and ceiling cloth during summer months.

troutspinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just for the heck of it, I'd go test another one. There are many of us who have no issues with AC. Even 90 degree plus days mine feels no different than a 75 degree day. I do not however have the panoramic roof (I never get sunroofs, they just let heat in) as well as I do have tinted windows but my truck is black, inside and out.

Coop

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Outside temp was reading as 103 today, official current temp in my area is 96. No issues cooling. Air blows cold, quickly. If it can handle this, there's a problem with a truck struggling at 86. It's not systemic to Rams.

'19 Laramie without the sunroof.

atom13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Na
Engine
Na
Fwiw. I had a black rental and it takes longer to cool than my silver.

NorthStar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn/Lone Star 4x2 Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
I have two Rams - 2018 that I drive and a 2019 my daughter-in-law drives. I picked up the 2019 for her about eight weeks ago. Both blow very, very cold air and there is no noticeable difference between the 2018 and 2019. Likewise, we've had zero issues with the truck. Yes, you'll hear about guys having problems and I genuinely feel for them as I've been there with other vehicles in years past but the 2018 and 2019 we have has been flawless thus far.

hodl

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
Hand waving aside, it's best to get a thermometer and test the a/c vent output. I did a quick test this morning between our other car and our 2019 Ram. The Ram's a/c output was 12 degrees warmer than our other vehicle at only 55 degrees and that's pretty typical of 2019 Ram a/c reports on the other forum (53-58 degrees). It's marginal at best and not what anyone should expect from an expensive new pickup. Taking ownership of the problem gives few options like ceramic tinting which dramatically cuts BTUs through the windows but also adds at least $600 of out of pocket expense.

crank1up

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Long thread on another forum I've been following...I just posted the following on that thread and thought some here might be interested..

Okay sorta late to this party but wanted to add my 2 cents..Found the Limited truck I wanted at a better price than I ever expected ..Just got back from test driving it and I can tell you without a doubt the a.c. does not cool nearly as well as my 2010 F150..I took digital thermometer and tested the ambient temp on my test drive..The best temp I got was after 10 minute drive including some highway speeds and the lowest it reached was 49 degrees..It took a long time to cool down the cabin and the way the vents are constructed you cannot direct the air to your body nearly to the extent that I can in my Ford..Immediately after leaving the dealership I took the same route in my Ford that I had taken in the Ram and my truck cooled down within a couple of minutes well before I reached the highway...Truck air temp was 43 within 3 minutes.. The outside temp was around 86 F..It was cloudy..The most troubling thing to me was the length of time it took for the Dodge to reach the low temp. and the fact that I was unable to direct any vents on myself..Also I might add the Ram was on full fan speed which I do not like and when I compared my Ford I never went to high on fan speed..I can tell you without reservation the difference between the the two is great..The cabin of the ram just took too long to get comfortable for Texas..I could have bought the truck at 23% below MSRP for $51,000.00 I've decided to pass...

Where was this deal? I haven’t had that kind of luck during my search.

KC5TGQ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Etorque

It does not blow as cold as my Nissan or Toyota. But, It blows cold enough. I can certainly live with it.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in

Colour me confused.
You say you have a 2019 Ram, yet also say you have a Ford and did not buy the Ram because no matter how great the price, the A/C issue is a deal killer.

why would you even bother to post to a Ram Owners Forum, when you do not Own a Ram and do not intend to buy a Ram, no matter the price?

Is there a reason you would imagine anyone here would give a flying Fart as to your opinion?
Mite as well be a Card Carrying member of PETA, proclaiming your opinion on Meat, at a national BBQ Cookout, packed full of starving Soldiers.

Listen carefully. we all understand that you, like Rosie O'Donnell, Jane Fonda and everyone else has an Opinon. on EVERYTHING.
we simply do not care what they are.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
'Nuff Said

Last edited:

Jus Cruisin

Gearhead
Reaction score
Metro Detroit area after 28 years in Florida
Ram Year
2019 Limited 4X4
Engine
E-torque hemi
I'm beginning to believe that the new A/C system has been designed to meet different temperature specs from past models. They've likely found through the gazillions of focus groups most owners, current and potential, what is comfortable interior temperatures for the majority. Now the system is built to meet the needs, requirements, comfort levels of the majority of the customers. I'm sure that the new system saves weight, money, the environment or whatever over the previous system.

I keep reading the biggest issue is it's not "ice cold" like whatever they're comparing it to. I think this is the crux of the problem. Most people don't want "ice cold", they want comfortable. I guess I'm one of that majority and is why I'm completely satisfied with the A/C performance and why it seems to be performing similar to prior vehicles I've owned. I've had auto climate control equipped vehicles for years and generally have found 73 or 74° to be comfortable for me and my passengers. This Ram gets down to my temperature just as fast as anything in the past. Now, if I wanted, needed to run around in an icebox maybe I'd be dissatisfied.

So that's my theory for what it's worth.

Last edited:

madweazl

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
'13 1500 | '16 2500
Engine
5.7 | 6.4
I think it's a legitimate gripe and something potential buyers would like to know; the a/c in our 13' 1500 Longhorn isnt very good; it cools down but it takes much longer than any of the other vehicles we've had over the years. Our 2500 cools down much quicker; no clue what's different (if anything) but something is.

hodl

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
I'm beginning to believe that the new A/C system has been designed to meet different temperature specs from past models. They've likely found through the gazillions of focus groups most owners, current and potential, what is comfortable interior temperatures for the majority. Now the system is built to meet the needs, requirements, comfort levels of the majority of the customers. I'm sure that the new system saves weight, money, the environment or whatever over the previous system.

I keep reading the biggest issue is it's not "ice cold" like whatever they're comparing it to. I think this is the crux of the problem. Most people don't want "ice cold", they want comfortable. I guess I'm one of that majority and is why I'm completely satisfied with the A/C performance and why it seems to be performing similar to prior vehicles I've owned. I've had auto climate control equipped vehicles for years and generally have found 73 or 74° to be comfortable for me and my passengers. This Ram gets down to my temperature just as fast as anything in the past. Now, if I wanted, needed to run around in an icebox maybe I'd be dissatisfied.

So that's my theory for what it's worth.

Marginal a/c performance works fine in temperate climates or when leaving the confines of a garage but no where near adequate when a window rich pickup cabin is quickly heat soaked with 95F+ outside temps.

A/C systems are designed to satisfy typical outside summer temperatures and the new Ram 1500 a/c ain't making the cut. The video below shows the F150 isn't ice cold but rather comfortable and adequate versus the Ram 1500's dismal performance.

Jus Cruisin

Gearhead
Reaction score
Metro Detroit area after 28 years in Florida
Ram Year
2019 Limited 4X4
Engine
E-torque hemi
Marginal a/c performance works fine in temperate climates or when leaving the confines of a garage but no where near adequate when a window rich pickup cabin is quickly heat soaked with 95F+ outside temps.

A/C systems are designed to satisfy typical outside summer temperatures and the new Ram 1500 a/c ain't making the cut. The video below shows the F150 isn't ice cold but rather comfortable and adequate versus the Ram 1500's dismal performance.

How about sitting outside in Florida 24/7 with a black exterior, black interior, panoramic roof? That's mine and it cools just like my F150, 2014 Ram 2500. I always set the auto climate on 74° hasn't changed for years regardless of truck. They have all gotten to my set temperature within minutes. No different with this truck.

Now if I required the truck to get "ice cold" like 68° maybe it would be different.

If the system was that bad, you'd think my Florida dealership would inundated with complaints. They haven't been. That's why I think for the majority of owners the system is fine. Those that require an icebox to be comfortable aren't happy.

hodl

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
Yep, that seems miraculous from my perspective knowing the issue and solution. Either you or your truck are the exception but there are lots of variables as you suggest including temperature comfort tolerance. Heck seniors dressed in sweaters are more likely to be comfortable in what other consider to be warm to hot temps. There's also attention to detail, personal bias (including the extreme of fan boism), distractions, being uninformed, not mechanically inclined, etc.

A/c performance is independent of the user and data collection still answers the question.

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
my dad, who is 85, 5 foot 9 inches and 158 lb after a surgery that keeps him from ever gaining weight, finds it comfortable or possibly too cool. me, at 250 lb 6 ft having ever insulation, finds it not comfortable. i suspect it's designed for an "average" size human being, not for big guys like me. (i've been 35 lb lighter as recently as last october so I know my body feels much different and cooler at 215 than 250)

FoothillsFixIt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a new 2019 RAM Limited and live in Tucson, AZ, where this time of year it is not uncommon for daytime temps to be well in excess of 105 F. I’ve got no complaints about the AC in my RAM, and find it to be quieter than any of the 8 F-150s I had from 1998 thru 2019. As to the vents, for several model years in the early part of this decade, the Ford had round vents that were the best I’ve seen in any vehicle. Not sure why Ford stopped using them, but what they currently use is not better than the RAM.