A/C Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kodachrome Wolf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
LA 360 V8
Presently I'm working on effectively replacing all of the A/C components on my '86. When I replaced the old HVAC underdash box, I fitted a new evaporator, and then quickly found out that absolutely none of the old equipment would mate to the new parts, save for the compressor, but it too was leaking oil through the clutch, so everything is getting hit.

Now here's my quandary. There are two switches that were mounted to the original system, however the new lines lack provisions for these.

There is one like this:
SqZWtI.jpg

It appears to be on the high side of the system. It originally lived between the expansion valve and the drier on the small line. There's not much information on this switch and on the handful of electrical diagrams I've found, none mention a high pressure switch.

The other one is like this:
I93UIa.jpg

It appears to be on the low side of the system. The capillary probe went into a well on the large hose prior to the expansion valve. Reading online points towards this being used for the clutch cycle switch to ensure the system didn't freeze up.

So with regards to making things work correctly with the new stuff, I'm looking at alternative mounting points. I'm aware that there's a provision on the new drier where a threaded plug could be removed and likely the switch could be placed there. The expansion valve also has a mounting provision, but it seems to be on the port that would be for the high side, not the low side. That takes care of the high side switch if the logic works out there, however...

That brings up the issue to the cycle switch: How do I adapt a capillary switch to something not truly designed for it? I don't think there's an appropriate means to making a conventional cycle switch work. I don't think it would work too well if I took the capillary tube and just tried to make it keep contact with the metal end of the hose, or maybe that would be acceptable with a thermal paste and something appropriate to hold it?

If anyone has an idea, I'm down to hear it. :)