A few questions about the '19 PW (owners)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PwrWgnQs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Hi all. I'm a 2011 Ram 1500 QC 4x4 owner currently. It's leveled (Bilstein Adj) with 35" Yokohama Geolander A/T's on Factory 2014 20" rims. No rubbing, excellent ride quality. No complaints. Now that's out of the way..

I'm going to the dealer this month to look into purchasing the '19 2500 Power Wagon and while I will have the opportunity to drive my truck and the Pwr Wgn back to back, I was wondering if anyone can chime in as to how the Power Wagon is for on road comfort, stiffness and cabin noise long term. My current job requires about 720 miles per month on-road and clearing my property in PA requires something a bit heavier than my 1500 can handle with regards to 4-wheel drive capability. I have no interest in further modifying my current truck (it's also getting older, though only 70k on the odo) and I wanted to know if you guys think the Power Wagon is a comfortable truck on the road. Thanks.

Btw, I would also immediately swap the 33" Duratracs for 35" - I assume this requires no modification? I did read on here about a leveling kit. If so I would have no issues going that route with the 35"s. Is there a preferred leveling kit?

Last Q for now.. what kind of mpg are you guys seeing? I average 13.9 currently with the 4.7l V8 with a tune.

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 17, the most comfortable truck I've ever been in on the road. I run 315 70r 17 bfg ko2s which are a bit on the soft side. I think your tire selection will have a lot to do with ride quality which is all subjective. I had transforce tires on it for about a week before i threw them out and went back to the ko2s.

You wont need any mods to run a 35 inch tire. Id stay away from a level kit if you tow unless you are going to pair it with airbags. You front end will always be higher than the rear if you tow with a straight level kit.

Know your looking for 19 guys but this is my experience. Hope it helps.

Udy2554

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My ‘18 runs down the road VERY comfortably on 35” Duratracs in the winter, and 35” KO3s in the summer!

No lift or level!

AirLift 5000 Ultimate bags for towing my Toyhauler!(10,000lb)

Averaging 10.9mpg with a best of 11.9! All mixed driving! 4x4, highway, city, country! LOTS of hills!

I love my PW!

3TV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
2018 Power Wagon owner here. Very comfortable on road (and off road) ride quality. I traded a Ford Super Duty for my Power Wagon, and the Power Wagon rides much better. And the Power Wagon is completely quiet inside the cab, whereas the Super Duty (also a 2018) had a number of annoying rattles in the cab.

I've never checked fuel mileage.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yea, your not gonna get many reviews yet on a ‘19 wagon. Not sure anyone even has one yet....

If mileage is any importance to you, your looking at the wrong rig. If its just a curiosity, well then thats understandable. I mainly cruise basically unloaded, and typically fetch around 12-13 mpg. Towing drops it into single digits quickly.

Im thinking the 8 speed will make a little improvement in mpg’s, but not much.

OP
OP
P

PwrWgnQs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yeah - mileage is not a major concern. As it is I average 13.9 so as long as it's in that territory I'm fine with it. Good to hear the ride is quiet and smooth. I did read that there was a 10% increase in MPG due to weight savings and the 8-speed over the out-going model. So maybe with the 35's it'll be where the '18 is on stock tires.

Thanks for the replies so far.

Odin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
2018 PW here.

I've had a total of 3 different RAMs...

2013 1500
2015 2500
And my PW

The PW has by far the best ride hands down.

As for cabin noise, it'll depend on your tires and if you do exhaust. Most MTs are gonna have a slight hum cruising on the highway and if you do exhaust and delete the resonator you'll have some drone depending on the exhaust system/muffler.

I've 35 Toyo MTs with resonator delete and MagnaFlow flow muffler and there is a little interior cabin noise but it's nothing crazy annoying. Can easily carry on a conversation with no problem.

Current gas mileage ranges from 12-13 mpg depending on how much I put my foot in it, but my Toyos are also heavy tires and will get switched out to either KO2s or KM3s when I need new ones and those are lighter. Combination of highway and surface streets. With my old 2500 and KO2s I was seeing 13.5-15 mpg.

Best ever mpg with the PW was a roadtrip from Peoria, AZ to Pagosa Springs, CO and I got up to 19 mpg on open roads cruising at 80 mph.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reuben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
2018 here with 37” KO2’s. As quiet as my Lincoln and rides really smooth. You won’t need anything for 35’s.
Enjoy. Fuel mileage I don’t really check that much. I did get about 15 last trip to Grand junction and back. That was running 80 so that made me happy.

OP
OP
P

PwrWgnQs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Thanks again guys.. I definitely have some heavier tires on my 1500.. They contribute to a bit of harshness but with the Bilstein's it seems really tame and quite smooth. The diameter is actually 34.6" However they hold up to the pot holes here in the Northeast. - https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=Geolandar+A/T+G015&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=765R0G015V2&tab=Sizes

Reuben - Funny you say what you did. I've owned Lincoln, a Mercury and a Cadillac and while it was along time ago I would always describe the ride in my current 1500 as "it rides like a Cadillac" - half joking, half serious - especially when compared to my F250. I guess these days I'd like a similar ride with the extra off-road capabilities.

Last edited:

timpaine1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 l v6 diesel
2018 PW here.

I've had a total of 3 different RAMs...

2013 1500
2015 2500
And my PW

The PW has by far the best ride hands down.

As for cabin noise, it'll depend on your tires and if you do exhaust. Most MTs are gonna have a slight hum cruising on the highway and if you do exhaust and delete the resonator you'll have some drone depending on the exhaust system/muffler.

I've 35 Toyo MTs with resonator delete and MagnaFlow flow muffler and there is a little interior cabin noise but it's nothing crazy annoying. Can easily carry on a conversation with no problem.

Current gas mileage ranges from 12-13 mpg depending on how much I put my foot in it, but my Toyos are also heavy tires and will get switched out to either KO2s or KM3s when I need new ones and those are lighter. Combination of highway and surface streets. With my old 2500 and KO2s I was seeing 13.5-15 mpg.

Best ever mpg with the PW was a roadtrip from Peoria, AZ to Pagosa Springs, CO and I got up to 19 mpg on open roads cruising at 80 mph.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Ho Odin,
Thanks a ton for your well details. i am looking for the same inf. as needed fro my car. hope it will add value to my requirement.

pwjouster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
my 18 is a beast and hands down...best HD ride there is.

I run 93 octane and return an average of about 12.
Fuel sucks. It is what it is...yet i put almost 20k on in the first year.

you will love every minute in a Powerwagon 6.4

JoshR104

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Checkout Thuren kits as well if you want the smoothest ride. I just installed his kit on my 2500 non PW but has the 6.4 and I will tell you what it rides much nicer than my buddies PW that did ride much smoother than my 2500.

So much to the point my brother and my buddy are talking about getting one.

Rams.jpg

lawman7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I just purchased the 19 PW. I love it. Ride is very comfortable and road noise is mim. The fuel milage is yet to be determined. I put 700 miles on it across Idaho and Montana all Mountain driving mostly and got 12 mpg. It was a great improvement I think over my 18 pw and really like the 8 speed transmission.

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just purchased the 19 PW. I love it. Ride is very comfortable and road noise is mim. The fuel milage is yet to be determined. I put 700 miles on it across Idaho and Montana all Mountain driving mostly and got 12 mpg. It was a great improvement I think over my 18 pw and really like the 8 speed transmission.
Did you trade the 18 in for a 19? If you dont mind what did it cost you?

lawman7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I traded my 18. Bottom line was 59,500. Fully loaded minus the ram box. Got 42,000 trade in.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
You guys must run more expressway than I do. I run a state/US highway daily to work, and I put down a summertime average of almost 16...Winter drops that down to about 13.5 though.
2017, stock setup, and 27,000 miles.
Gotta agree though - the best riding HD truck I've ever been in.

SeaSickSailor

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I’m about to pull the trigger on a ‘19 but I’m wondering if I should wait a measly month and go for the ‘20. The problem is that nobody can tell me if there are going to be any changes from ‘19 to ‘20. I don’t expect anything drastic but any foreknowledge is better than none. Anyone out there got the inside scoop?

Moparfanatic21

U.S. Marine Vet - 0321, Now a Doctor...of Vehicles
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m about to pull the trigger on a ‘19 but I’m wondering if I should wait a measly month and go for the ‘20. The problem is that nobody can tell me if there are going to be any changes from ‘19 to ‘20. I don’t expect anything drastic but any foreknowledge is better than none. Anyone out there got the inside scoop?
I read they will get the updated cabs and options as the new 1500s do

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
I copied and pasted this from a reply on a similar tread I shared on:

I just bought a Power Wagon and came I from a 1/2 ton. I still have the 5.7 with 105,000 miles. Yes I was getting 15-17 mpg and now I am getting 12 (so far, I only have 1,200 mi on her)
Pros are
the dirt roads are noticeably better to drive on in a power wagon.
the extra foot in the bed is really nice
the height is incredible it’s a beast you feel like you can run over anything.
Luxury is fantastic
very nicely trimmed out and the gigantic screen is sweet!
I played I little with it off road and the Rubicon gear that’s bolted to this beast is incredible.
Headlights look very well done with the leds

Cons
Yes towing is not on par the the other 2500 but it is not for lack of power or tranny (love the 8 speed) it is solely because of suspension and that is an easy fix with air bags if you need to tow more than 12,000.
Gpm is noticeably less but I have not given it a true tank of gas to test as I can’t keep my foot out of it is so much fun. But on a short trip of 366 miles I got 16.9 all hwy

Back seat has like 4” less room. (Something like that)
No shoulder belt in the front center seat.
So far I have no regrets

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
I copied and pasted this from a reply on a similar tread I shared on:

I just bought a Power Wagon and came I from a 1/2 ton. I still have the 5.7 with 105,000 miles. Yes I was getting 15-17 mpg and now I am getting 12 (so far, I only have 1,200 mi on her)
Pros are
the dirt roads are noticeably better to drive on in a power wagon.
the extra foot in the bed is really nice
the height is incredible it’s a beast you feel like you can run over anything.
Luxury is fantastic
very nicely trimmed out and the gigantic screen is sweet!
I played I little with it off road and the Rubicon gear that’s bolted to this beast is incredible.
Headlights look very well done with the leds

Cons
Yes towing is not on par the the other 2500 but it is not for lack of power or tranny (love the 8 speed) it is solely because of suspension and that is an easy fix with air bags if you need to tow more than 12,000.
Gpm is noticeably less but I have not given it a true tank of gas to test as I can’t keep my foot out of it is so much fun. But on a short trip of 366 miles I got 16.9 all hwy

Back seat has like 4” less room. (Something like that)
No shoulder belt in the front center seat.
So far I have no regrets
The cab is the same as all 4th gen cabs. It’s not 4” smaller. Dunno what he’s comparing it to. He left a 1500 with a 100k plus miles so I know it’s not a 19’ 1500. Those have bigger cabs. Weird