A good thing someone happened by with a real truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
LOL! For sure they are not real trucks. I have an EE friend that just loves Tesla. He finally got one of their cars, and has a truck on order. I feel bad for the guy, always looking for a plugin so he can make the drive home. Told me about a trout fishing trip he and his son took a couple of weekends ago. Had to drive 50 miles each way to a charging station during the camping trip, so that he'd have enough charge for the trip.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
LOL!! I have a picture I took of a Rivian RT on the back of a flatbed that's kind of funny too ;)

It's probably the weight that sunk it in the sand. They're heavy. Or the high-torque and instant response they can generate. Know your rig's limits is one of the first tenants of off-road driving. OTOH, driving in loose sand is tough for even experienced off-roaders. Avoid loose, deep sand w/o wide tires and tracks.

The driver might have done their part to sink it too. They never showed that. I would bank on that as part of the problem. I've done my share of off-road driving (trucks, tractors, ATVs). I've seen some great off-road drivers get out of amazingly tricky situations. I've also seen off-road drivers do some insanely stupid things, like just floor-it on sand or go like he// towards an obstacle which immediately put them in a bad situation or needlessly broke something that was due to their ignorant move 100%. Anyone who's off-roaded probably knows what I mean. So we don't really know what happened there.

The Cybertruck is a pretty interesting piece of tech if you read up on them. Eventually they'll get battery weight down on electrics (in general) given enough time. They already charge up pretty quick. Electric cars have their place, usually great for commuting where you know your charge points. I've driven some really neat ones. The Tesla's have been my least favorite...just due to their 'high-tech' minimalistic controls, and goofy looks. Why take the fun out of driving?! But they drive nice. Super comfy seats! Usually a guy can get 280-300 miles out of many EVs.

For trucks at this point, I'll stick to the Ram 1500. Those Cybertrucks look goofy as all he..! Elon should have put that $Billion+ dollars to enhance their current product line or come out with a smaller more affordable Tesla. Something that didn't look goofy.
:waytogo:

Last edited:

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The last one I rented was a Mustang Mach-E ...for like 2 weeks. It was a good, practical, livable EV SUV I thought. Charging was kind of slow compared to others, but if that extends the battery life a bit, it might be a good trade-off.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
The last one I rented was a Mustang Mach-E ...for like 2 weeks. It was a good, practical, livable EV SUV I thought. Charging was kind of slow compared to others, but if that extends the battery life a bit, it might be a good trade-off.
My neighbor has one of the Mach E's, she's not all that happy with it, first its 12V battery went dead caused it to be towed out of her garage to the shop, I also heard about how high the insurance cost went up, over two times the cost of the 2021 Ford Explorer they had, I can say they be happy its a lease so they can get rid of it at the end of the 36 month contract, oh and yes it take along time to change at home without a 240 volt charger..

2Tallguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 diesel
LOL!! I have a picture I took of a Rivian RT on the back of a flatbed that's kind of funny too ;)

It's probably the weight that sunk it in the sand. They're heavy. Or the high-torque and instant response they can generate. Know your rig's limits is one of the first tenants of off-road driving. OTOH, driving in loose sand is tough for even experienced off-roaders. Avoid loose, deep sand w/o wide tires and tracks.

The driver might have done their part to sink it too. They never showed that. I would bank on that as part of the problem. I've done my share of off-road driving (trucks, tractors, ATVs). I've seen some great off-road drivers get out of amazingly tricky situations. I've also seen off-road drivers do some insanely stupid things, like just floor-it on sand or go like he// towards an obstacle which immediately put them in a bad situation or needlessly broke something that was due to their ignorant move 100%. Anyone who's off-roaded probably knows what I mean. So we don't really know what happened there.

The Cybertruck is a pretty interesting piece of tech if you read up on them. Eventually they'll get battery weight down on electrics (in general) given enough time. They already charge up pretty quick. Electric cars have their place, usually great for commuting where you know your charge points. I've driven some really neat ones. The Tesla's have been my least favorite...just due to their 'high-tech' minimalistic controls, and goofy looks. Why take the fun out of driving?! But they drive nice. Super comfy seats! Usually a guy can get 280-300 miles out of many EVs.

For trucks at this point, I'll stick to the Ram 1500. Those Cybertrucks look goofy as all he..! Elon should have put that $Billion+ dollars to enhance their current product line or come out with a smaller more affordable Tesla. Something that didn't look goofy.
Infrastructure and lighter much quicker battery recharging and they'll have a buyer in me.

dennisok

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I saw a Rivian in Arizona. They just purchased along with a new smaller airstream trailer. They were hoping to get something like 150 miles per charge while towing.

Man you can't hardly make it out of town with a 150 mile range. Just ridiculous. I will never own a ev. Especially a truck.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My neighbor has one of the Mach E's, she's not all that happy with it, first its 12V battery went dead caused it to be towed out of her garage to the shop, I also heard about how high the insurance cost went up, over two times the cost of the 2021 Ford Explorer they had, I can say they be happy its a lease so they can get rid of it at the end of the 36 month contract, oh and yes it take along time to change at home without a 240 volt charger..

Yeah, there are definitely some challenges/differences/problems. I agree. My nieghbor works for a towing company. There is a special towing procedure ...which takes more time, costs more $$. And at their yard for storage, if it's been wrecked, they have to allocate the spaces on both sides (in their case) b/c there needs to be a minimal perimeter, in case it catches fire. So the owner gets charged for 3 spaces. When they (or the insurance co) gets a towing bill, it usually makes their eyes water!

Mach-e's contactors were a common failure point (which Ford was fixing on their dime). That's the beauty of renting them. You get to hand them back after yer done. Still ...interesting tech (to me anyway). And they go like heck!

DA Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I saw one of these things a couple of days ago going down the highway in the opposite direction. There's been some ugly vehicles made in the past by different manufacturers but this UGLY thing is the top dog king of the hill UGLY. This old saying comes to mind when you look at this thing it goes like this. Man that's so ugly it would make a Frieght Train take a dirt road!

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Last edited: