A while back I took my 17' Rebel in for a vibration...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Intense-Dakota

Landscape and Nature Photographer
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A while back I took my 17' Rebel in for a vibration and some noise. The tech said they couldn't find anything wrong with it, so I assumed maybe it was just my mind playing tricks on me. I did start to notice though that the vibration/grinding feeling got worse the longer I drove it, so a 5 minute drive wouldn't always show it, but a 2 hour drive would. Fast forward to this weekend when I decided to change my front pads and rotors and noticed this from the passenger side. At first I thought it was rust or something because the rotor, but as you can see it happens ever after removing the rotor and cleaning all rust/debris I could find. There is no play in the bearing, and it actually turns slightly easier than my driver side. I used my mechanics stethoscope on the bearing housing, and I can hear the bearings, but they aren't as crunchy as what can be heard in the video.

The truck is under warranty, but I wanted to get some opinions before I go in because I might just try another dealership in the area if these people say "it's fine".

https://youtube.com/shorts/xaoixumqjh0?feature=share

Phirebeard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Rust between the hub and spindle? It really sounds like it's coming though the dust shield

OP
OP
Intense-Dakota

Intense-Dakota

Landscape and Nature Photographer
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Rust between the hub and spindle? It really sounds like it's coming though the dust shield
Ahhh. I never thought to pull the dust shield. I did get the air hose back there and blow things off though. The fact that when I spin it a constant rate, there is a very repetitive noise based on speed.

Phirebeard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Maybe try a puddy knife in that area then blow it out and see if it still makes that noise.