abs and brake light constant on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
jsl6v8

jsl6v8

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 HFE RCSB
Engine
3.6L V6 And proud.
why yes, yes it is, or atleast from the picture it looks roughly like the one I have. The sensor itself you can pick up for like $25 from autozone.

OP
OP
jsl6v8

jsl6v8

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 HFE RCSB
Engine
3.6L V6 And proud.
I'd try parking it in a clean spot and with the engine running pump the brakes several times. If there is a leak somewhere it should be apparent. Follow the lines to each wheel.

If you don't see any signs of brake fluid leaking and the pedal feels spongy try bleeding the brake lines, there is a bleeder screw on each of the brake calipers.

Thanks, I'm gonna have to bleed it. I'm assuming brake fluid is one of those things the environment doesn't want on the ground, I may have to take it in although I'd prefer to do it myself if I can find a good way to do it. I'm currently living in a hotel for a long while so my ability to store things and have access to tools is pretty limited.

FancyStancy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
why yes, yes it is, or atleast from the picture it looks roughly like the one I have. The sensor itself you can pick up for like $25 from autozone.

Thank you sir very much for the info. I will pick one up soon.

OP
OP
jsl6v8

jsl6v8

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 HFE RCSB
Engine
3.6L V6 And proud.
Well mine turned out to be a slow leak in the Master Cylinder, fixed now though :) Just goes to show you can never skip the simple steps.

FancyStancy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I know this thread ended, but i have a quick question. I still have not replaced my VSS, which i need to do because I have the exact symptoms of a bad speed sensor.
Today in traffic, my truck was idling fine. The usual 600 rpms at idle, but as i was easing up to the truck in front of me, my truck started surging. Nothing crazy bad, like it wasnt throwing me around, but I could hear it. Sure enough, the truck died right there. I started it back up, and drove off no problems. This has only happened 1 or 2 other times. Could this be caused by a bad vehicle speed sensor? Sorry if this sounds just plain stupid lol. Right before it died, my spedo was going crazy, bouncing back and fourth from 0-10 mph. And i wasnt touching the throttle at all, not even off the break all the way... just slowly easing through traffic.

OP
OP
jsl6v8

jsl6v8

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 HFE RCSB
Engine
3.6L V6 And proud.
I've never heard of surging being a symptom but the speedo all over the place is definitely a symptom.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I know this thread ended, but i have a quick question. I still have not replaced my VSS, which i need to do because I have the exact symptoms of a bad speed sensor.
Today in traffic, my truck was idling fine. The usual 600 rpms at idle, but as i was easing up to the truck in front of me, my truck started surging. Nothing crazy bad, like it wasnt throwing me around, but I could hear it. Sure enough, the truck died right there. I started it back up, and drove off no problems. This has only happened 1 or 2 other times. Could this be caused by a bad vehicle speed sensor? Sorry if this sounds just plain stupid lol. Right before it died, my spedo was going crazy, bouncing back and fourth from 0-10 mph. And i wasnt touching the throttle at all, not even off the break all the way... just slowly easing through traffic.
Sounds like you've got two problems: one with your IAC and the other with your VSS.

FancyStancy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
yes, that's what I was thinking.. IAC. I don't know much about it tho. easy fix? cheap? I have a clean TB so I know it's not that. it doesn't really bother me that this happened. it very rarely happens, so no big deal. but would be nice to have fixed.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
The IAC and/or IAC passage could be dirty making it stick.

cj5orion

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
on these older trucks...

I'd recommend replacing the mstr cylinder as well,JUS TO BE SAFE !
$45 buck at Oreillys
mine jus went out...IN TRAFFIC ! scared the hell outa me...NO BRAKES AT ALL !

NStruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
good morning . so yesterday afternoon I decided the weather is finally decent enough that i should work on the truck this weekend . I went to order the part from NAPA , and the guy tells me that the speed sensor for this truck is located on the transmission . Turns out he is correct there is a speed sensor located on the transmission , there is also an ABS speed sensor located on the rear differential . Before I order the parts I thought I would ask , as the parts at napa are $61 for the sensor in the transmission and $121 for the one on the rear diff . chrysler wanted twice that .
my symptoms are that the abs and the E brake light are on , however my speedometer is fine . the break lights don't come on until i hit about 40 or 50 km/hour . This makes me wonder if it is the speed sensor in the transmission . I checked the fluids and everything seems to be fine break fluid is fine and the trans fluid is fine , I am down a quart of oil . further to this i have noticed that at highway speed the truck sometimes seems to have trouble figuring out when to shift gears like when going up a hill . which makes me suspect the trans sensor but that is alot of second guessing on my part . like i said in a previous post my ranger had a similar problem and it was the abs sensor .

anyone have any advice on this ?
I also wanted to ask about parts from Ebay , as i noted above even NAPA wants alot for the parts , but i can find both sensors on Ebay for about $25 each . my thought was to order in both and replace both . Has anyone had problems with ebay parts ?

finally would this problem show up on an obdII code scanner ? i just downloaded torque to my cell phone and ordered the blue tooth adapter for it to read the obd port .

@ jsl6v8 you mentioned that your problem ended up being the master cylinder and i think you said you did not have any problems with your speedometer either . How would I check a master cylinder ?

and advice would be helpful thanks

My truck is a 96 4x4 automatic 125kms , 4" lift 318 v8 if any of that makes a difference . other than this little problem and the need to replace a front shock the truck runs very good , I am quite happy with it .

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
I'm not familiar with your 96' but on a 03 there are two speed sensors on the transmission. Input speed sensor (crank sensor) and output speed sensor. The speed sensor on the rear axle is the vehicle speed sensor (VSS. I went to Advance and bought a sensor and then decided to buy a better one from NAPA. They didn't have one on hand and had to order it. When it came in it was the same as the Advance sensor. Same manufacturer, packaging and part number for about 30% more. So IMO you should shop and compare. I have also purchased from eBay and mostly get what I ordered. Key is being certain about what you are buying. My vote is a bad connection to the VSS or it is broken or contaminated with debris.

NStruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
replaced the VSS on the the truck this weekend , I ordered a part off ebay and it was a perfect fir , saved about $40 . problem is it did not solve the problem . the ebrake light and the abs light still come on after i hit 50 or 6o kms/hr . I have a code reader attachment on order for my celphone which has the torque app on it . once it arrives hopefully i will get a code that will tell me what the problem is . anyone have any suggestions ?

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
When you replaced the VSS did it have any physical damage or debris on it?

NStruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When you replaced the VSS did it have any physical damage or debris on it?

not that i noticed , i will check it again tonight when i get home . I just put it in the box the new one came in . the connections all looked good , the shielding on the cables were in good shape , and the plastic connector easily unclipped and re-clipped . no breakage , and the plastic was not brittle .

the gear oil in the diff has been recently changed , and the diff was inspected and no damage was noticed . This was done because when the truck went through inspection the bearing on the axel had seized and had to be replaced , the bearing and axel were both replaced .

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
not that i noticed , i will check it again tonight when i get home . I just put it in the box the new one came in . the connections all looked good , the shielding on the cables were in good shape , and the plastic connector easily unclipped and re-clipped . no breakage , and the plastic was not brittle .

the gear oil in the diff has been recently changed , and the diff was inspected and no damage was noticed . This was done because when the truck went through inspection the bearing on the axel had seized and had to be replaced , the bearing and axel were both replaced .

I mention this because the clearance is close with the tone wheel and any debris floating around in the housing can damage the tone wheel and/or sensor. With your wiring in good condition and the condition being speed related I would check the front sensors looking for debris and damage from salt, mud or other muck that the truck might have been exposed to..

crxlvr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am having roughly the same issue in my 98 5.2 auto 2wd. Changed the vss and initially the problem remained but every so often the speedo will jump around like crazy eventually dropping to 0. Then it will start bouncing up and down and then just flat line again to 0. Abs and brake light will come on sometimes during this and occasionally just the check engine light. Code is only showing as speed sensor in my scanner

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3