ABS / brake light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mapitts

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996 Dodge ram 2500
Engine
5.9 12V Cummins
I noticed that both my brake light and ABS lights are slowly coming on. Done some research and have found that the sensor is in the rear end. Seems that another symptom is that the speedometer only works above 20 MPH or so. My speedo is working but off. Could this be the problem?

2ndgenramman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.2
sounds about right to me. Funny enough every dodge I've had has done this. Super annoying but cheap. Try to swap the sensor and report back!

jholaway1971

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 99 ram 1500 has the ABS and Brake warning light on too but I have no trouble with the speedometer working. I already changed the rear ABS speed sensor on top of the rear end and back brake shoes, the front were already replaced in Jan 2014 before I bought the truck. I also bled the brakes all four wheels and bled the master cylinder even though I have an excellent brake pedal. This problem is getting on my last nerve so if someone can give me some ideas ?

jholaway1971

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well I just back from my local mechanics repair shop and they hooked the ABS scanner up to my truck and found no error codes or any other problems with my braking system. He was at a loss why the light was on and he tried to reset the ABS and brake light and it wouldn't reset. I asked about front ABS sensors and he informed me that there are no front ABS sensors on my truck just a rear ABS system. I also asked about the main ABS module if there could be a problem with it and he was like well there is a possibility but I wouldn't waste money changing that because they are fairly expensive. He did offer to keep the truck for a few days and go through the whole electrical system to see why the light was on but there was no guarantee that he could find the problem. His honest opinion was to ignore the lights and just drive the truck. I now know why the bulbs were missing in the dash.

Now with that info does anyone have any suggestions of what I could check or should I just say hell with the lights in the dash and just drive the truck ?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ricardo225