ABS light on.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eyemall

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have looked at many posts on here about this issue, my issue doesn't seem to fit in any of the answers. When I first got the truck the ABS/brake light was on. I found out I had issues with the carrier, the metal clips had came out of the clutch packs and had been chewed up. I had metal shavings on the ABS sensor. I had the carrier replaced and replaced the sensor just to be on the safe side. Everything was good till recently. The lights came back on. I checked the sensor and cleaned it. Still the lights came on. I had the codes read came back as the VSS. Changed it. Lights are still on. In looking around some say a bad front wheel bearing will cause this too. I have a wire going to the right front wheel but none on the driver side. What is this wire for? Is it a speed sensor? I have seen where a FWABS should have a wire to both front spindles. The driver side does not have a wire going to it. So is this a two wheel ABS setup or a four?

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

eyemall

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I finally got to look at where the wire on passenger side goes. I have been sick ever since the lights came on and haven't got a real good chance to figure out what is going on. The wire isn't hooked up. Someone bought a ABS wheel bearing and just ran the wire up under the hood and hid the end to make it look like it was hooked up. I also checked the brake fluid. It is full. So I guess next week when I get off midnights I will once again pull the ABS sensor in the diff and the VSS and make sure they are clean and plugged in correctly.

Dave2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018,Previous 1998
Engine
3.6L,Previous 5.9L
I had that diff sensor go bad on both my 1500 and a durango. Replacing the sensor fixed it both times. I don't have any sensor wires on either front wheels. 1998 RAM 1500 Quad cab pickup with ABS on rear only.