ABS nightmare

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trav16C

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Alright, this has been a constant issue with no resolution through multiple shops. 2016 longhorn cummins with 56k.

ABS and Traction control light are on. About 20 minutes after they trigger the TPMS light also triggers. Obviously disables 4wd and cruise. The code thrown every time is the rear driver side sensor. However, from what the last shop told me it just loses power to that sensor at random triggering the light

All speed sensors have been replaced twice.

Abs module and HCU have been replaced twice with reprogramming.

New wires were over laid to that specific sensor.

All fuses, relays, connections, terminals have been gone through multiple times

Continuity testing through that circuit has been done.

ECU/PCM reflashed

Originally when it started happening it was only doing it in damp conditions. Now the lights just stay on all the time.

When the original sensors were pulled they were inspected for any damage, as were the second set.

I am at my wits end with this truck. It's absolutely ridiculous. I've owned the truck for 7 months and it has been in the shop for 3 of those months if not a bit longer.

csuder99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Despite all the issues do you happen to have a good relation with any Ram service manager ? They can look up the service history, I wouldn't be surprised if these issues were present before you got the truck. Or it might have been flooded at one time and it was kept a secret by a PO.

I'm saying this is because I think this is not an ABS issue per se but rather something disrupting bus communications. Functionally the TPMS does not have anything in common with the ABS (don't know about 2016 but in 2013 it was a separate module).

Did any of the shops have a scope on the data bus ? There are people that specialize in diagnosing issues like yours, maybe ask around.

OP
OP
T

Trav16C

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Csuder99,

I started a case file with ram service yesterday. Waiting for a manager to get back with me.

That's pretty much where we got to is there has to be some sort of disruption in the data link system, but they could never find anything specific.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Have the circuits been load tested? Has the tone wheel been inspected for any damage?

rpellicci21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
This might be kind of a long shot, considering you said they did continuity testing and overlaid new wiring the speed sensor from abs module, but I had very similar issue and may be worth a shot.

I had same code regarding rear wheel speed sensor intermittent would come in when it was very wet out or snowing, etc. However, it also would come in when hitting bumpy roads or a pot hole. I found a break in the wire bundle that the driver side rear wheel speed sensor was ran through when it was routed over the transfer case housing/shroud. It is a sharp sheet metal guard and you have to lift the wire bundle off the guard to see where it was rubbing through.

Attachments

• 0324211453.jpg
    0324211453.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 26
  • 0324211453_HDR.jpg
    0324211453_HDR.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 25

Al Handy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am going thru the same problem, so far 3 modules, two ABS pumps, etc etc, last fix was just acouple days ago, left the dealer and the code came back within 10 miles. What in hell is going on here? Can the AlfaOBD turn the ABS off?

LI Guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
Same problem and from what I have learned it is a problem that has affected many many trucks.Im bringing my 2017 2500 diesel into the dealership this week and already have been quoted $1000 parts and labor to replace the abs module and attached unit connected to the ecu (?).