AC Evaporator Cleaning - what really worked for you?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MarineBSP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi - Reporting on my AC evaporator cleaning and hoping to do it better

I'm asking for input from members who have successfully gotten rid of AC smell, that musty, "wet wool", or "old gym socks" smell coming from the heater core and AC evaporator in their trucks.

My 2018 Laramie just turned five years old, has 87K miles, and I've owned it from new. I have changed out my cabin air filter annually. I try to turn off the AC a while before I shut down the truck, to dry out condensation, but I still have ended up with AC smell. With 'fancy' automatic climate control, I think the blend doors move the air stream to bypass the evaporator once AC is shut down - so my drying step might not really help much. Last summer I began getting a musty smell from the AC when I first turned it on. The smell would mostly go way once AC was on a while - when the evaporator core is cold enough, the smelly stuff stays on it or goes with the condensed water. Turn the AC off, and there's a puff of . . . . wheeww ! Winter was okay, with no AC use, but once or twice in freezing rain conditions I needed AC to assist defrost, and that was olfactory torture !

I've read a lot about options, and today I finally used the NextZett Klima-Cleaner. It seems to have gone in the right direction, but it has not completely solved my issue. I have a second can, but I will wait a few days before I walk that out.

I did this with the glove box and the blower fan removed - for better or worse my 2018 Laramie DS blower motor has the blower resistor built into the motor housing, so this removed blower and resistor from harm's way (they didn't get covered in foam). After glove box is out there are 3 screws holding the blower - they are 8mm hex head, but they have a T25 socket head as well. I used 8mm socke to remove, but because the screws have no shoulder, I installed with a T25 driver. I introduced the cleaner foam onto the back (blower) side of the evaporator with a tube from the blower motor opening. I had the cabin filter out and set an LED stick light in the filter opening to let me see as much as possible. I emptied the can in four steps - pausing each time the foam threatened to overflow out the blower motor opening - maybe I should have pushed it harder all at once, but the foam would have ended up on the towel I had protecting the carpet and transfer case electronics (see photos).

I watched a video saying it was important not to introduce foam by way of the evaporator drain, but to hit the back side of the evaporator (blower side). I am now questioning that logic. For a repeat treatment, I will try applying the foam from the drain, which will tend to fill the space on the "front" side of the evaporator (side toward the vents). This may actually get the foam higher up on the evaporator in our RAM trucks? Maybe I just need to treat twice ? Anyone recommend the Toyota or Subaru brand cleaner kits ?

I'd like to hear from you if you have done this cleaning / de-odorizing and felt you had a really great result.

Thanks !

Attachments

• Not my truck - but my drain looks just like this.jpg
    Not my truck - but my drain looks just like this.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 37
  • LED stick light & towel in place.jpg
    LED stick light & towel in place.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 37
  • Dispensing the Foam.jpg
    Dispensing the Foam.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 36
  • As far as I dared to fill.jpg
    As far as I dared to fill.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
OP
OP
MarineBSP

MarineBSP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Self-update:

I removed glove box and blower / resistor again. I introduced another can of the same NextZett Clima-cleaner into the evaporator drain hole this time. As much as possible I added all the cleaner in one shot, but I found that a large part of it began to come back out at me once I got past half the can. There was no foam coming into the blower cavity - so maybe I needed to treat from both sides. I waited the prescribed 20 minutes and watched most of the foamed cleaner return to liquid and drain out of the Evap drain. Put it all back to together, ran the truck for a while - first just with fan, changing from floor to face to mixed to defrost. Then I let the AC run full cold for a while and watched for condensed water coming out the drain. Gave that 8-10 minuteswith a good flow of condensed water. Then I turned off the AC and ran until the Evap drain stopped dripping. The result seems much better than before. I will post back in a week to report whether it stays good.

Hopes this might help someone with similar issue.

Attachments

• Cleaner tube up drain over 50pct.jpg
    Cleaner tube up drain over 50pct.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 29

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi - Reporting on my AC evaporator cleaning and hoping to do it better

I'm asking for input from members who have successfully gotten rid of AC smell, that musty, "wet wool", or "old gym socks" smell coming from the heater core and AC evaporator in their trucks.

My 2018 Laramie just turned five years old, has 87K miles, and I've owned it from new. I have changed out my cabin air filter annually. I try to turn off the AC a while before I shut down the truck, to dry out condensation, but I still have ended up with AC smell. With 'fancy' automatic climate control, I think the blend doors move the air stream to bypass the evaporator once AC is shut down - so my drying step might not really help much. Last summer I began getting a musty smell from the AC when I first turned it on. The smell would mostly go way once AC was on a while - when the evaporator core is cold enough, the smelly stuff stays on it or goes with the condensed water. Turn the AC off, and there's a puff of . . . . wheeww ! Winter was okay, with no AC use, but once or twice in freezing rain conditions I needed AC to assist defrost, and that was olfactory torture !

I've read a lot about options, and today I finally used the NextZett Klima-Cleaner. It seems to have gone in the right direction, but it has not completely solved my issue. I have a second can, but I will wait a few days before I walk that out.

I did this with the glove box and the blower fan removed - for better or worse my 2018 Laramie DS blower motor has the blower resistor built into the motor housing, so this removed blower and resistor from harm's way (they didn't get covered in foam). After glove box is out there are 3 screws holding the blower - they are 8mm hex head, but they have a T25 socket head as well. I used 8mm socke to remove, but because the screws have no shoulder, I installed with a T25 driver. I introduced the cleaner foam onto the back (blower) side of the evaporator with a tube from the blower motor opening. I had the cabin filter out and set an LED stick light in the filter opening to let me see as much as possible. I emptied the can in four steps - pausing each time the foam threatened to overflow out the blower motor opening - maybe I should have pushed it harder all at once, but the foam would have ended up on the towel I had protecting the carpet and transfer case electronics (see photos).

I watched a video saying it was important not to introduce foam by way of the evaporator drain, but to hit the back side of the evaporator (blower side). I am now questioning that logic. For a repeat treatment, I will try applying the foam from the drain, which will tend to fill the space on the "front" side of the evaporator (side toward the vents). This may actually get the foam higher up on the evaporator in our RAM trucks? Maybe I just need to treat twice ? Anyone recommend the Toyota or Subaru brand cleaner kits ?

I'd like to hear from you if you have done this cleaning / de-odorizing and felt you had a really great result.

Thanks !
I gave a second generation Lincoln MKX an "enima" through the water drain.... it fixed it right up!

Rizkit4DBizkit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’ll be doing this soon. My AC seems to have a hard time cooling at times, black on black don’t help much in GA heat for sure. I added the cabin filter about 3 years ago since my 16 didn’t come with one but removed it soon after due to it massively cutting down on the volume of air coming out the vents. I don’t get the smell but probably wouldn’t hurt to clean it.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’ll be doing this soon. My AC seems to have a hard time cooling at times, black on black don’t help much in GA heat for sure. I added the cabin filter about 3 years ago since my 16 didn’t come with one but removed it soon after due to it massively cutting down on the volume of air coming out the vents. I don’t get the smell but probably wouldn’t hurt to clean it.
Here in Houston, we've had 113-115 Heat indexes in recent days. I was out in my courtyard during the hottest part of the day Monday. Heat index was over 110. I touched my 2002 S-Blazer which is white... not TOO hot to hold my hand on, but NOT comfy. I then put my hand on my dark blue Ranger.... not gonna happen! It was akin to touching a hot pan on the stove.
Yeah... black ain't the color to have in this kind of heat! ;)

Rizkit4DBizkit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here in Houston, we've had 113-115 Heat indexes in recent days. I was out in my courtyard during the hottest part of the day Monday. Heat index was over 110. I touched my 2002 S-Blazer which is white... not TOO hot to hold my hand on, but NOT comfy. I then put my hand on my dark blue Ranger.... not gonna happen! It was akin to touching a hot pan on the stove.
Yeah... black ain't the color to have in this kind of heat! ;)

Absolute truth! It looks good for about 30 seconds after you wash it, other than that it's probably the worst color to choose for a vehicle. I have owned around 4 black vehicles and each one I swear would be my last. Seriously considering getting mine wrapped in silver or something along those lines. It would also help with the weak paint Ram put on these trucks.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Absolute truth! It looks good for about 30 seconds after you wash it, other than that it's probably the worst color to choose for a vehicle. I have owned around 4 black vehicles and each one I swear would be my last. Seriously considering getting mine wrapped in silver or something along those lines. It would also help with the weak paint Ram put on these trucks.
Blacks not a colour,it's a career,lol. I owned one and only one black vehicle. It got polished friday afternoons to go out friday night,then polished again sat afternoon to go out sat evening :waytogo: After that one i'll never own another black vehicle:Big Laugh:

Attachments

• ScannedImage-4.jpg
    ScannedImage-4.jpg
    231 KB · Views: 11

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My '18 rebel, I have NOT done a great job of changing the air filter (I think my current K&N is the 3rd filter the truck has had in the almost 6 years I've had it, coming up on 84k, and the wife hasn't complained about it being musty, other than when the truck has been parked for a bit...

I basically set the AC when I first bought it, and other than adjusting the setpoint a couple degrees, I pretty much have just left it on "AUTO", except when someone riding in the passenger seat complains, or ****** me off by adjusting the AC.

Gotta teach the wife that changing the temp when the AC is trying to beat the heat down does NOT change anything. (IE she'll set it to "LO" when she first gets in, but turns the fan speed down, as she doesn't want it blowing mach jesus air on her. At least this is what she does in her car. I've basically told her not to do that in the ram, but she constantly fiddles with everything. Blower angle, turning the vents on and off, ******** about the fan speed, but she almost never changes the one thing she NEEDS to. The temperature.)

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Blacks not a colour,it's a career,lol. I owned one and only one black vehicle. It got polished friday afternoons to go out friday night,then polished again sat afternoon to go out sat evening :waytogo: After that one i'll never own another black vehicle:Big Laugh:
Rick, I'd gladly take that beautiful black '68 Z28 any day.

Got a black '02 Ram 1500, gets hotter than Hell, but so does my white '15 in the blazing sun of FL.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Rick, I'd gladly take that beautiful black '68 Z28 any day.

Got a black '02 Ram 1500, gets hotter than Hell, but so does my white '15 in the blazing sun of FL.
It's one of the ones i should of kept Ed. Wife was pregant and wanted a house,so the car had to go,38 years later i should of sold the wife and kept the car. :Big Laugh: Just kidding dear,in case she happens to see this:Big Laugh:

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
It's one of the ones i should of kept Ed. Wife was pregant and wanted a house,so the car had to go,38 years later i should of sold the wife and kept the car. :Big Laugh: Just kidding dear,in case she happens to see this:Big Laugh:
I would never say anything like that about my wife....... :emotions33:

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I go through the drain tube underneath the truck. I use AC evaporator/coil cleaner. Let it sit 20 minutes then start it up and run the AC on high in recirculate mode. Cabin filter out of course. No musty smell and I live in the humid SE corner of VA.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Love that 68! My dad had a 67 back when I was a kid.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My '18 rebel, I have NOT done a great job of changing the air filter (I think my current K&N is the 3rd filter the truck has had in the almost 6 years I've had it, coming up on 84k, and the wife hasn't complained about it being musty, other than when the truck has been parked for a bit...

I basically set the AC when I first bought it, and other than adjusting the setpoint a couple degrees, I pretty much have just left it on "AUTO", except when someone riding in the passenger seat complains, or ****** me off by adjusting the AC.

Gotta teach the wife that changing the temp when the AC is trying to beat the heat down does NOT change anything. (IE she'll set it to "LO" when she first gets in, but turns the fan speed down, as she doesn't want it blowing mach jesus air on her. At least this is what she does in her car. I've basically told her not to do that in the ram, but she constantly fiddles with everything. Blower angle, turning the vents on and off, ******** about the fan speed, but she almost never changes the one thing she NEEDS to. The temperature.)
Cracking the windows a little bit with fastest blower speed works very well. Once the "infra red" heat has been removed from the cabin (about 1-2 minutes), then turn the blower down to the next lower speed. The slower the air is passed over the surface of the evaporator core, the more time the temperature can be absorbed from the warm air to the colder surface of the evap.

Funny how the "Auto" setting on my wife's Sorento does this for you.... except rolling the windows up after it gets cooler inside! ;)

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I go through the drain tube underneath the truck. I use AC evaporator/coil cleaner. Let it sit 20 minutes then start it up and run the AC on high in recirculate mode. Cabin filter out of course. No musty smell and I live in the humid SE corner of VA.
What cleaner did you use?

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What cleaner did you use?
Frost King foam coil cleaner. About ten dollars for a 19 ounce can on Amazon. I use about 2/3 of the can on the truck and the other 1/3 on one of the kids econoboxes. I’ve also used Lubeguard Kool-it evaporator foam cleaner as it comes with a really long tube that you’ll want to save for future use with other brands. The nozzle tube is about 18 inches long and it really works better than the regular short supply tubes. About the same price but the can is much smaller.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Id run a ozone with the battery hooked up to a trickle. Run it on the recycling cycle for a few hours. That will kill the smell. Trust me if if can kill raw pork that was sitting in a brand new suv for 3-4 days with temps over 100* it will kill it.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Id run a ozone with the battery hooked up to a trickle. Run it on the recycling cycle for a few hours. That will kill the smell. Trust me if if can kill raw pork that was sitting in a brand new suv for 3-4 days with temps over 100* it will kill it.
OMG! :doublepuke:

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Frost King foam coil cleaner. About ten dollars for a 19 ounce can on Amazon. I use about 2/3 of the can on the truck and the other 1/3 on one of the kids econoboxes. I’ve also used Lubeguard Kool-it evaporator foam cleaner as it comes with a really long tube that you’ll want to save for future use with other brands. The nozzle tube is about 18 inches long and it really works better than the regular short supply tubes. About the same price but the can is much smaller.
I will have to look into that. The only foaming coil cleaners I've seen and used are usually the ones that are very harsh and I really hate to use them because you never really get all the residue out and it just eats the crap out of the fins over time, even if you dilute it down before use

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thoffmann517