AC low flow only on long trips

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tyler03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 vin C
I have a long standing problem that is now an emergency as I am planning an 8hr trip with the dogs in a few days.
Anyway, in my 2003 2500 5.9 CR, I lose air flow from the vents, but only after the A/C has been on for a couple hours or more. After that, it kind of gets weaker and stronger (mostly weaker) with no pattern except I can park for a couple minutes and then it’s good for a little while at least.
I take 4 hour trips on the ram pretty much weekly and the problem has been very consistent for over a year. I have a newer ignition switch and blower and don’t know if this issue happened before or after I changed those. I have no recirc door and have bolted both mode doors in place. From what I can see, my coil is very clean. The water drain seems to be working as it is making puddles quickly enough. My blend door still operates as it should, as far as I can tell.
I am thinking my blower is maybe getting tired but it sounds good. I read that the older 2 gens have vacuum controls and I’ve had plenty of issues with that cruise hose over the years, but I don’t think that affects the 3rd gen a/c. Anyone have any tips? I’m completely lost here.

Spoonsize

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1st, check to be sure the coolant levels are correct. I have a similar issue and that’s as far as I got. My “sniffer” came yesterday now I have to find the leak.

OP
OP
T

Tyler03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 vin C
Thank you. I’ve been reading throughout the day and at least one person claimed low coolant can possibly freeze over the coil assembly. I haven’t had any change in performance for a couple years, so I doubt there’s a leak but I’ll reply if I get a successful 8 hour trip with no coil blockage after a recharge.

17CrewCab1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Same thing happened to me. The resistor is bad. You can replace it and be good to go.

OP
OP
T

Tyler03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 vin C
Resistor should not affect top speed though, correct? All my speeds work ok and blower still sounds like it’s working when flow goes down.
Thanks for the input though I’ll look into it and report back if there’s a fix.

xdmshawn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Same problem here. My air is nice and cold, however, very little air volume flows out of the vents. Coolant is good. The fan speed sounds loud like it's working correctly. Just very low air flow overall regardless of how long the truck has been running. When it's hot out, I feel the heat radiatingf glass of the closed windows.

OP
OP
T

Tyler03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 vin C
Same problem here. My air is nice and cold, however, very little air volume flows out of the vents. Coolant is good. The fan speed sounds loud like it's working correctly. Just very low air flow overall regardless of how long the truck has been running. When it's hot out, I feel the heat radiatingf glass of the closed windows.

Your issue is either dirty coil or broken recirculation door. For coil, remove resistor and brush and spray away. For door, remove blower fan and pull out the door that was probably laying on top of it.

My issue was a partially dirty coil that would then the assembly to freeze over after an hour or two, leading to very significant air blockage. I just changed the way I use my ac(click the compressor off for a minute or two every 20-30 minutes) and all is well but I still need to get in there and clean the coil better so it can’t freeze on me.

BenHemi05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
Alright so I haven’t seen anyone mention this. But, the doors in the air box all go bad.

The motors have so much torque that they break the tabs where the doors lock in and cause them to fail in the worst positions.

I have an ‘05 5.9 CR and I had an ‘05 1500 Hemi and they both had low flow. The buddy that I sold my 1500 to removed the blower and reached up and removed the door that diverts air from the outlet of the fan by hand. It was just lying on top of the outlet because of the afore mentioned above.

He shared this with me and I too had low air flow on my 2500. And the same thing!!! Then I shared it with my brother cause he also has an ‘05 2500 5.9 CR and he had been complaining of a low flow for years!!! And he had the same issue!!!

So do your self a favor and remove the three bolts and reach up and see if the door is resting on the fan outlet. Easiest and cheapest fix ever!!

cc297d900e5424dcf4608650a506a20a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BenHemi05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
I found this prior to the easy fix that my buddy found and had already ordered it. And I am going to install this week. I am sure it’ll improve the overall flow and coolness of the truck.

The following link will bring you right to it. It’s a great product and they provide thorough explanation on the failure and repair and have a aawrsome video on YouTube!! Good luck!!

https://heatertreater.net/dodge-ram-02-08

8d9aca29dfe2b22f01a8b534b89b55d9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk