AC Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you have no access to a hose, I've also found that leaving my window cracked about 1/2" for the first 5 - 10 minutes with the A/C on high (not recric) allows the system to push the warm/hot air out faster and replace it with cold air. Then roll the window up.
Not know if I agree on the to do or not to do (recirculate). I always have it set on with Auto, and the vehicles have the humidity sensors and such, doing all that nanny stuff ref system. But I also unless winter (OK U Northern PPL, I know, not the same), have windows cracked and windshield shaded or U could cook friggin brownie's on the dashboard. But alas, with the such low sub par performance of the AC, just not throwing out ice cubes like the old AC Delco units. I do miss those old systems, U definitely could hang meat in your vehicle back in those days.

ADDED: If that hot, I will run with both front winders 1/2 down and rear window open to push out air. If the temps were not gonna work on trying to go a bit lower now, I would have broke down and clamped off the water pump to heater core hose.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Not know if I agree on the to do or not to do (recirculate). I always have it set on with Auto, and the vehicles have the humidity sensors and such, doing all that nanny stuff ref system. But I also unless winter (OK U Northern PPL, I know, not the same), have windows cracked and windshield shaded or U could cook friggin brownie's on the dashboard. But alas, with the such low sub par performance of the AC, just not throwing out ice cubes like the old AC Delco units. I do miss those old systems, U definitely could hang meat in your vehicle back in those days.
With the A/C on high/not recirc you are actually raising the air pressure a little in your cab which forces the warmer air out the cracked window. If you have it on recirc all the system is doing is rotating the same cabin air through the system...at least for the first 5 or 10 minutes.
ADDED: If that hot, I will run with both front winders 1/2 down and rear window open to push out air. If the temps were not gonna work on trying to go a bit lower now, I would have broke down and clamped off the water pump to heater core hose.
I don't have that choice if I'm in the truck alone. I don't have "back windows", I only have the driver and passenger ones; and, my windows are manual and I can't reach over to the passenger door while driving because it's too far. :driver:

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
With the A/C on high/not recirc you are actually raising the air pressure a little in your cab which forces the warmer air out the cracked window. If you have it on recirc all the system is doing is rotating the same cabin air through the system...at least for the first 5 or 10 minutes.

I don't have that choice if I'm in the truck alone. I don't have "back windows", I only have the driver and passenger ones; and, my windows are manual and I can't reach over to the passenger door while driving because it's too far. :driver:
Change vehicles? lol.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Similar issue with my 2021 PW

Org. Post Aug 29, 2021. Power Wagon with marginal AC cooling. Took it to dealership and they performed a performance test which passed barely, again no margin.

Additional detail (R-134A System): Ram Dealer is using FCA Tech Connect performance criteria. I believe they only took temperature at the center vent during the performance test, no gauge hook-up values were discussed. The day I dropped off at dealership unfortunately was fairly cool outside 76F (30% humidity) vs. the 90F, when I checked. The Dealer said my temp was 48F, which was satisfactory for an ambient temp of 80F per the Tech Connect performance criteria.

As for when I checked at 90F (70% humidity) outside, it was 55F on max cooling & recirc at same center vent test location. This reading was fairly constant as I drove 60mi/hr for over ½ hr and the cab seemed to stay fairly humid. Using another chart for R134A, 90F should produce a range of 44-50F at center vent where as FCA only lists a single temp of 55F for this outside temp reading.

As of Aug. 2023, I plan another visit to dealership prior to warranty running out.
UNLESS they changed the spec's since 2019, he's wrong. The factory specs are determined at the center vent, in recirculation mode, and with engine at 1000 RPM:

A/C PERFORMANCE TEMPERATURE AND PRESSURE​

Ambient Air Temperature (Apparent)
21°C
(70°F)​
27°C
(80°F)​
32°C
(90°F)​
38°C
(100°F)​
43°C
(110°F)​
Air Temperature at Center Panel Outlet
7°C
(45°F)​
7°C
(45°F)​
13°C
(55°F)​
13°C
(55°F)​
18°C
(64°F)​
Compressor Inlet Pressure at Service Port (low Side)
138 to 207 kPa
(20 to 30 psi)​
172 to 241 kPa
(25 to 35 psi)​
207 to 276 kPa
(30 to 40 psi)​
241 to 310 kPa
(35 to 45 psi)​
276 to 345 kPa
(40 to 50 psi)​
Compressor Discharge Pressure at Service Port (High Side)
1034 to 1724 kPa
(150 to 250 psi)​
1379 to 2068 kPa
(200 to 300 psi)​
1724 to 2413 kPa
(250 to 350 psi)​
1999 to 2689 kPa
(290 to 390 psi)​
2413 to 2965 kPa
(350 to 430 psi)​

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 97370 miles.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

ALL vehicles made in the USA or for import to USA MUST have flow through ventilation as of 1969. This was in response to people inhaling carbon monoxide while driving in a closed up car. Thanks to Ralph Nader and the NHTSA we can all breathe easier.

That said, opening the windows (my own experience) has proved to be of value only for the first literal minute or 2. Additionally, as much as one thinks it is painful, turning the blower down one notch to the next highest setting after said one to 2 minutes will cool off the interior faster due to allowing the air passing over the evaporator core more contact time to the cold surface of the core.... BUT this must be done in RECIRC mode, because as the air repeats and cools off, every time it passes the core again, it is further chilled. Hot outside air in continuum across the evaporator core is way less efficient than recirculating and further cooling already cooled air. These hot, humid August days in Houston, by GOD, Texas has taught me that in 52 years of driving.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
I have a 2022 Ram 2500 Tradesman gasser that has 7000 miles on it and the AC is not cooling it gets down to 60 if just sitting and only 55 when driving and goes back up to 60-62 when stopped at a light or in traffic. My other 2015 Ram 1500 gets much colder 44-45 much faster even when parked in full sun. I've taken it to 2 different dealers and the claim that everything checks out fine but it still doesnt blow cold. Anyone else have this issue?

Hello krpenn71,

Please know we are here for you and committed to finding a solution to your concerns. We see you mentioned that you already visited two dealers, kindly note you should feel free to try another shop for a third opinion and you would want to make sure it is with one of our authorized dealers. They will evaluate your vehicle and come to a resolution to your concerns. https://www.ramtrucks.com/find-dealer.html

Naudia
Ram Cares

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Unless the outside ambient air is very close to my desired inside cab temperature and not too humid, I usually set the Recirc to enabled for any use of the AC system.

I would truly appreciate learning how I could configure my Warlock to a default of 'Recirc enabled' as soon as I turn on the AC. It seems daft to me that it's not already a SOP with all vehicles.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Unless the outside ambient air is very close to my desired inside cab temperature and not too humid, I usually set the Recirc to enabled for any use of the AC system.

I would truly appreciate learning how I could configure my Warlock to a default of 'Recirc enabled' as soon as I turn on the AC. It seems daft to me that it's not already a SOP with all vehicles.

On mine, I only have to set the temp control knob all the way to the left/counter-clockwise position and it stays on Recirc.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
ALL vehicles made in the USA or for import to USA MUST have flow through ventilation as of 1969. This was in response to people inhaling carbon monoxide while driving in a closed up car. Thanks to Ralph Nader and the NHTSA we can all breathe easier.

That said, opening the windows (my own experience) has proved to be of value only for the first literal minute or 2. Additionally, as much as one thinks it is painful, turning the blower down one notch to the next highest setting after said one to 2 minutes will cool off the interior faster due to allowing the air passing over the evaporator core more contact time to the cold surface of the core.... BUT this must be done in RECIRC mode, because as the air repeats and cools off, every time it passes the core again, it is further chilled. Hot outside air in continuum across the evaporator core is way less efficient than recirculating and further cooling already cooled air. These hot, humid August days in Houston, by GOD, Texas has taught me that in 52 years of driving.
Yes sir, I understand. I just meant that to cool it down faster, crack the window and have it on "flow-through" for a few minutes. After that, you can put it on Recirc for better cooling.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On mine, I only have to set the temp control knob all the way to the left/counter-clockwise position and it stays on Recirc.

That makes perfect sense to me.

Unfortunately, or not, the ambient temperatures in my area versus the performance of the HVAC on my truck, never require such a drastic setting.

Also, I have the Auto temperature setting feature, I set the desired inside temp and forget about it unless on a longer road trip when I must increase the temperature before frostbite sets in.

Unlike many Ram owners, my truck can be like a meat locker at any outside temperature.
The last time I tested the duct temperature, it was 32F while the outside was low to mid-90s, IIRC.

:cool:

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
That makes perfect sense to me.

Unfortunately, or not, the ambient temperatures in my area versus the performance of the HVAC on my truck, never require such a drastic setting.

Also, I have the Auto temperature setting feature, I set the desired inside temp and forget about it unless on a longer road trip when I must increase the temperature before frostbite sets in.

Unlike many Ram owners, my truck can be like a meat locker at any outside temperature.
The last time I tested the duct temperature, it was 32F while the outside was low to mid-90s, IIRC.

:cool:

Yeah, I have no problem with my A/C either. Half the time I have to turn the vents away from me because it's too cold, and that's on a 100 degree day. I also never have mine on Recirc because I haven't found the need. I just noticed that if I turn the knob all the way left it automatically goes there and I can't take it out of Recirc unless I turn the knob back to the right just a bit.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, I have no problem with my A/C either. Half the time I have to turn the vents away from me because it's too cold, and that's on a 100 degree day. I also never have mine on Recirc because I haven't found the need. I just noticed that if I turn the knob all the way left it automatically goes there and I can't take it out of Recirc unless I turn the knob back to the right just a bit.

So, if you were to set the temperature fully CCW, does the blower blast on full tilt until you get tired of listening and reset the temp?

The Auto temp setting on my truck functions almost perfectly and the blower is pretty quiet after the initial cooling period on a hot day.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
So, if you were to set the temperature fully CCW, does the blower blast on full tilt until you get tired of listening and reset the temp?

The Auto temp setting on my truck functions almost perfectly and the blower is pretty quiet after the initial cooling period on a hot day.

No, my blower/fan has a separate control knob that works independently from the temp control.

1693598577872.jpeg

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Not TX, SURVIVAL mode, lmao.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Agreed...weird to see knobs that you turn apparently to make air move faster/slower and a separate knob for warmer/colder air...my mind is blown!!! Haha.
I keep my AC on Auto, recirculate on, auto temp set at 60 degrees. Whether on remote start or hit button in cab. But sometimes, the system over rides your choices and disables recirculation, especially when system senses a humidity/defrost situation. It will over ride recirculate directing some "air" towards the windshield, gotta luv how the truck "outsmarts" U and the controls U want activated, LMAO.

I keep the small round container of Damprid in my center console, to pull some of the moisture out of the air to try and combat the ole get in "wet" windshield anomaly. I check the container every so often, dump out, clean if necessary and refill, so I always use the refillable ones.

Damprid.JPG

Last edited: