Acceleration Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LeftShark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
New to this forum, but I made an account because I seem to be having a similar issue. A ticking/clicking sort of noise that happens under moderate to heavy acceleration. Not noticeable on cold starts or light throttle application. I took my truck into the dealership today. They were able to replicate and wanted to hang onto the truck until Monday when they have more time to diagnose.

I have a 2020 Ram Bighorn 4x4 Offroad with the 5.7L hemi. No modifications whatsoever.

I'm hoping we can troubleshoot this and its minor. Seeing how many other people have issues discourages me. Really love the truck otherwise. If I find anything I will definitely leave another comment here.

LeftShark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I got my truck back last night. My issue was minor and seems to be fixed. From the dealers summary:
"Technician inspected vehicle and saw the flex exhaust shield was rubbing up against the exhaust manifold causing the noise that the customer is hearing. Technician moved the shield away from the manifold and tightened the screws. Technician test drove and vehicle is working properly."

My truck is a 5th gen. I commented on this thread because it seemed to be very similar to my issue and recent. I do not have the cold start tick that lots of people have reported since the 5.7L hemi was reintroduced. Not sure if my situation helps any 4th gen owners, but another place for you to look if troubleshooting.

OP
OP
B

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I got my truck back last night. My issue was minor and seems to be fixed. From the dealers summary:
"Technician inspected vehicle and saw the flex exhaust shield was rubbing up against the exhaust manifold causing the noise that the customer is hearing. Technician moved the shield away from the manifold and tightened the screws. Technician test drove and vehicle is working properly."

My truck is a 5th gen. I commented on this thread because it seemed to be very similar to my issue and recent. I do not have the cold start tick that lots of people have reported since the 5.7L hemi was reintroduced. Not sure if my situation helps any 4th gen owners, but another place for you to look if troubleshooting.
Nice glad you found it. Noticed my post was bumped. I never found mine. I've crawled under and messed with every heat shield and can't find one that rattles or moves or anything touching it, unless its a hidden one I'm not seeing. My heat shield by the manifold was bent when I bought the truck, so it must have hit a rock on a test drive or something from being shipped. Anyways at first I assumed that was it, but I've bent it back out and it never stopped.

RebelRam1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2016 Ram Rebel with air ride removed and a bds/fox coil over conversion, 6” lift with 37s, vararam intake, diablosport t2 tuner with 91 octane tune running 93 octane fuel, bbk shorty headers, flowmaster exhaust, hidden winch, core 4x4 control arms etc etc. my truck makes a rattling sound under moderate acceleration like when it’s lugging a bit, that sounds kind of like a washer rattling on a loose bolt. I have about 40k miles on the truck and it’s been making the noise since at least 30k miles. I’ve been noticing more engine noise, tick, tick, ticking due to the headers and I’ve been suspecting the ball flange may not be sealed good enough anymore so maybe it is the CATs. Does seem to be around when I installed the headers when I noticed the rattling.

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have a 2016 Ram Rebel with air ride removed and a bds/fox coil over conversion, 6” lift with 37s, vararam intake, diablosport t2 tuner with 91 octane tune running 93 octane fuel, bbk shorty headers, flowmaster exhaust, hidden winch, core 4x4 control arms etc etc. my truck makes a rattling sound under moderate acceleration like when it’s lugging a bit, that sounds kind of like a washer rattling on a loose bolt. I have about 40k miles on the truck and it’s been making the noise since at least 30k miles. I’ve been noticing more engine noise, tick, tick, ticking due to the headers and I’ve been suspecting the ball flange may not be sealed good enough anymore so maybe it is the CATs. Does seem to be around when I installed the headers when I noticed the rattling.
do you have the stock y pipe? if so go look at it. the u bolt that clamps it down can get loose and some people have found a rattling tab there too.

Octane

Reaction score
Make sure proper torque on the rear suspension components especially if they have been changed out from factory stuff.

OP
OP
B

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Notice it any louder with your tune? My truck has done it since brand new and stock (now at 48k), but its much worse when I have my pulsar on performance. Had a period of time where it got louder and was so loud it was embarrassing to drive. Was going to take it to the dealer, but moved my Pulsar back to stock and was having trouble making it do it in stock so decided not to go. So emailed Edge about it, and they sent me a new Pulsar. It is much quieter than the last Pulsar, but still doing it if I try to make it. I have always sort of thought it was the torque converter rattling and something about the timing was making it louder when tuned? Mine does it on the lug as well as under load if you are say towing up hill and punch it.

Last edited:

RebelRam1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Y pipe alignment tab is fine. Suspension components are at proper torque. Actually located it last night. Passenger side cv axle where it meets intermediate shaft is the culprit. Thanks for the responses

RebelRam1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I also noticed I blew out a baffle inside my flowmaster muffler so that could be adding to the rattle

Puzzled

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2012 ram 1500 4x4 Hemi 5.7
Sound is getting worse. I also have code po3400 that comes up about the time this sounds starts , either minutes before the sound or shortly after the sound initially starts. I need help .

I have this noise provided in the link below on slight accelerration usually after about a 20 min drive it starts. It will happen at lower speeds but seems to be louder at hiway speeds. bchap05 I think it may be what you are hearing. Has anyone found a fix for this or experienced this issue.

Rasworld84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I 'm having the same issue with the same sound. Did you ever determine where the noise was coming from?

RebelRam1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes the plate on top of the transmission that the o2 sensor plugs are attached to was loose and rattling. Unless you have small hands it’s a ***** to tighten

**It was the bolt on the driver side. Just follow the b1s2 sensor up over the tranny and you’ll find the bolt. Assuming that’s where your problem lies

VARAMV6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
Yeah I've tried video a few times, the problem is its not quite loud enough to pick up very well, with road noise and what not. Although now that its louder right now than normal maybe I can get it to pick it up.

Its hard to describe what the noise is. Its sort of a metal sound but not really. I can make the noise with my mouth. Almost when you go to the dentist and they put the saliva sucker in your mouth with a little more of a metal noise.
Wondering if you ever found out what the noise was? I have this same noise for awhile too. Yeah, it's a weird fluttering sound as the truck switches into 2nd gear.

2022BigHorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's in 2wd, tried in 4 and did the same thing and only at operation temp. However, i did wash it last night and it went away, maybe the last time i washed it in the car wash the wax coating got somewhere where it wasnt supposed to so this time i did no wax and lets see.
Update: when I hit the gas a little harder instead of easing into it, no noise and it sounds like a servo motor? But where and why?

Last edited: