Active Grille Shutters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lagerstout

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Hey guys,

Does anybody know at what speed the Active Grille Shutters automatically close on the hwy?

I didn't see an answer in our forum. Just wondering.

-Geoff

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The service manual just says highway speed. I don't know what exact speed that is though. But engine coolant temp also plays a large role in if they are closed or not. They can close at low speed to help the engine reach operating temp when it is cold. So they can be open or closed at any speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
L

lagerstout

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
The service manual just says highway speed. I don't know what exact speed that is though. But engine coolant temp also plays a large role in if they are closed or not. They can close at low speed to help the engine reach operating temp when it is cold. So they can be open or closed at any speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alright. I wonder what the MPG difference is open or closed at hwy speed.

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
If you did see a MPG change it would be in the .0000000 range. I would see it only really being useful in the winter time if you live in extreme cold weather areas where it can close off to help warm up faster.

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
By itself, a very, very small percentage,,,

All the low-hanging grapes of improved fuel efficiency have been plucked,,,

Today, it's a half a percent here combined with an other 1/2 a percent there, rinse and repeat,,,

Dogeexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just pulled the fuse to them... I didn't put a 180 tstat in to have my coolant at 203... sits right at 185 now :D ( the check engine light is just a reminder to me of how I had to fix a mistake dodge made)

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I always enjoy comments like that!

Not sure why, but I do!!! :)

poweredbyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Must do something as my 13 5.0 f150 fx4 cc luxury pkg got 19mpgs & i was really impressed with that from a loaded cc 4x4 but this sport cc 4x4 is getting 20mpgs easily & possibly capable of more,i absolutely love that part of this pkg & it looks pretty good as well.

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Despite a bolder and more aggressive front end, the Ram 1500 boasts best-in-class aerodynamics and, with active aerodynamics, a 6% aerodynamic improvement on the new truck (cD is now 0.360, vs 0.386 in the 2012, for regular cab / 4x2). The front air dam was extended downward to create a 0.6% improvement in fuel economy, while a new thermo-plastic material is more malleable, preventing breakage.

aerodynamics

A new wheel-to-wheel tubular side-step adds 0.5% to fuel efficiency (vs the 2012 one) by allowing air to pass around the truck more smoothly, while easing access to the forward portion of the bed.

Select 2013 Ram 1500s have a standard, segment-exclusive locking tri-fold tonneau cover. It both protects bed storage and increases fuel economy by 0.8%. Owners can use one, two, or all sections of the cover by folding the system on top of itself. (It also appears to be a $1,500 option on the Laramie.)

shutters

The Ram 1500 is the first truck to use an active grille shutter system (similar to the one on Dart), closing airflow through the grille when cooling is not needed. It increases gas mileage by 0.5%, cuts drag roughly 4%, and cuts warm-up time/defrost time. The computer closes the shutters when cooling is not needed.

Dave Sowers pointed out that the active shutters was normally either fully open or fully closed. When closed, air pressure quickly builds up in front of the slats, deflecting oncoming air over the truck, which has the lowest drag coefficient of any pickup on the market. At all times, there’s airflow over the radiator from other openings. The idea was to avoid drag from radiator capacity which is seldom needed, while still being able to cool the engine under any reasonable conditions. (He also said that riding with the tailgate down

2013-2016 Dodge Ram 1500 pickup trucks

crash_eco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I had to pull the lower air dam off for my plow bracket and I'm still getting 8l/100k or 29mpg on the highway no problem!!

OP
OP
L

lagerstout

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Interesting that the shutters close to help warm up the engine in the cold. I saw on Mopar Owners connect that there's a grille cover for sale to do this on our models.

crash_eco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
In the winter we plug our vehicles in. I like on the Eco that when you start it and turn on full heat and defrost. It high idles till you put it in gear. -1c this morning (not plugged in yet). I had heat and the windshield had the frost off in 5 min.

TRXHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wish they could stay open all of the time. I know if you remove them all, the active shutter recognizes that there are none there, and will throw a CEL. I know this from experience!

Jmhm17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I just pulled the fuse to them... I didn't put a 180 tstat in to have my coolant at 203... sits right at 185 now :D ( the check engine light is just a reminder to me of how I had to fix a mistake dodge made)

Woah, wait. ****.. I forgot about that.. Err.......... Once I get my truck back im throwing in a 180 tstat. Your saying they will not open because it thinks it too cold? Crap, can this be tuned out? I really dont want to have to remove the fuse...

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Interesting that the shutters close to help warm up the engine in the cold. I saw on Mopar Owners connect that there's a grille cover for sale to do this on our models.

I notice it quite a bit in my 2014. The coolant will be at 180 in a few minutes of normal driving when the ambient temp is like 70. In winter it makes a BIG difference

Woah, wait. ****.. I forgot about that.. Err.......... Once I get my truck back im throwing in a 180 tstat. Your saying they will not open because it thinks it too cold? Crap, can this be tuned out? I really dont want to have to remove the fuse...

My truck will sit at around 190-200 on the highway with a 180 thermostat. The shutters don't really make it get hotter.

Jmhm17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
My truck will sit at around 190-200 on the highway with a 180 thermostat. The shutters don't really make it get hotter.

On my last truck (no AGS) I had a 180 and it stayed like it was its job. So it sounds like it does make a difference. Damn.. The shutters are constantly going to be fighting the tstat.

Does anyone know if there's a way to shut them off and keep the light out? And dont say electrical tape to keep the light out - I will cut you

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
On my last truck (no AGS) I had a 180 and it stayed like it was its job. So it sounds like it does make a difference. Damn.. The shutters are constantly going to be fighting the tstat.

Does anyone know if there's a way to shut them off and keep the light out? And dont say electrical tape to keep the light out - I will cut you

I've never had any vehicle sit at the advertised temp for the thermostat.

The advertised temp is usually when the thermostat will start to open. It won't be fully open until 10-20 degrees later.

Geo2slow4u

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I put a 180 in my 2015. It stays in the 200's when at cruising speeds. I figured it was because of the shudders. I'm also interested to see if it can be changed when I get a tune. Wondering if they would change with the electric fan temps.