Added Trailer Brake Controller but get Error Message .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Monsteroyd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L v6 vvt
Hi,

I am not sure if this should go here, so Mods please move it to the correct forum.

I have a 2014 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 Outdoorsman w/towing package. It has the gas 3.6L V6 w/VVT and the short bed.

I installed a Trailer Brake Controller I got from Rock Auto. It is not a mopar part but this one has the name Dorman on it. Anyway, it looks exactly the same as the mopar parts I've seen in YouTube videos. I installed the mounting plate (what a job, those 3 screws took hours) and the switch, then connected everything up, used Alfaobd to enable the itbm and the custmenu items. Everything appeared to be working fine. I have the 7" EVIC and the Trailer Brake showed up in the EVIC menu and in the Uconnect (5.0?, not 8.4) menu for the trailer name, type, etc. 4 trailers showed up also. Now I did not have a trailer connected but I went ahead and said use Trailer 1, and it let me change it to Yes. However when I go back and try to Select No on use trailer, I get an error message that says "Unable to save settings".

My question is, is this normal without a trailer attached? Or do I need to exchange the rockauto part for a new one? Or did I mess up the alfaobd settings?

Thanks in Advance
Monty

OP
OP
Monsteroyd

Monsteroyd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L v6 vvt
Ok I got a replacement from rockauto and swapped it for the installed one and I get the same error message. If I try to select trailer 2, for example, to use that trailer = yes, it times out with the message below. Just as I described in my first post.View media item 28059View media item 28061
So either these Dorman parts just don't work, or it is working but I am getting an error message because I don't have a trailer attached (and won't until I get my travel trailer).

Can someone that has the Mopar trailer brake controller please tell me if they get the same behavior when a trailer is not attached?

My problem in diagnosing this is I really don't know what it is supposed to do. My gain goes up and down with the +/- switches (although it doesn't remember across a restart of the truck) but the bar on the evic doesn't move when I squeeze the other switch. I assume because no trailer is connected.

If anyone has any idea what my problem is I would sure appreciate any ideas.

Monty

Last edited:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
So either these Dorman parts just don't work, or it is working but I am getting an error message because I don't have a trailer attached (and won't until I get my travel trailer).

Can someone that has the Mopar trailer brake controller please tell me if they get the same behavior when a trailer is not attached?

Even without a trailer connected, I can change which trailer # setting and type of trailer brakes without errors. You have to select one of the Trailer settings, you can switch from #2 to #1 but to go back to #2 you have to select it, unselecting #1 does not work.
If I slide the manual lever over, the trailer screen will pop up on my EVIC with or without a trailer attached.

OP
OP
Monsteroyd

Monsteroyd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L v6 vvt
Thanks for your reply. I found a thread on another ram forum site that mentioned they had that same error message because of a blown f11 fuse (power to ITBM). Mine checks out fine, no resistance, not blown. I checked all the other fuses that used the word trailer and they are all fine. So now I am wondering if I have a short in the wiring somewhere and I need to check to make sure the ITBM is really getting power. So now I am off to try to find the pin out of the connector to see if it gets power.

Monty

OP
OP
Monsteroyd

Monsteroyd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L v6 vvt
OK it has 12 volts on pin 4 of the 4 pin connector, so that's working, and all the fuses are fine, except for the one I dropped into the motor compartment which immediately black holed on me. No problem I thought, I'll get one at the auto parts store... WRONG, it is a jcase 20 amp fuse, but the smaller size jcase that no one carries, not even the RAM dealer. So be careful with those fuses, especially the little jcase ones cause they are made from unobtanium.

I am completely befuddled and cannot figure this out, so I made an appt with the dealer to let them have a shot. At this point I'd return the rockauto one if I could. I got a replacement from rock auto and swapped it but I still have the errors, so it is either not the controller and something else or none of the rockauto ones work.

Monty

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
OK it has 12 volts on pin 4 of the 4 pin connector, so that's working, and all the fuses are fine, except for the one I dropped into the motor compartment which immediately black holed on me. No problem I thought, I'll get one at the auto parts store... WRONG, it is a jcase 20 amp fuse, but the smaller size jcase that no one carries, not even the RAM dealer. So be careful with those fuses, especially the little jcase ones cause they are made from unobtanium.
Also check the F87 fuse for the ITBM control module power.
For replacement fuses, I bought a couple online from here: https://www.rvautoparts.com/FMM-20-Bussman-Fuse-Micro-Female-Type_p_16050.html

https://www.rvautoparts.com/FMM-30-Bussman-Fuse-Micro-Female-Type_p_16051.html

Pick up some 30 amp in the same size as they are used for the Left/Right/Stop outputs for the trailer plug.
For all the trail tow fuses w/ sizes and types:
F53 ATR 20 amp Left Trailer lights
F81 ATR 20 amp Right Trailer lights
F29 FMM 20 amp Trailer Park lights
F28 FMM 20 amp Trailer Back up lights
F30 FMM 30 amp Direct from battery
F11 J Case 30 amp Brake Lever
F87 ATR 10 amp ITBM module
View attachment TRAILER-TOW-SYSTEM.pdf

OP
OP
Monsteroyd

Monsteroyd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L v6 vvt
Thanks a ton for that info I will go check those fuses. F28 is the one I dropped and f87 isn't blown either, and all the rest test good with an ohm meter. I am ordering the fuses from that link you sent as I can't find any anywhere.

I am taking it to the dealer next so we'll see if they have any better luck than me.

Thanks again for your help.

Monty

terrible

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Keep us posted on this please, I bought the same controller and hope it's a matter of an install and flash.

OP
OP
Monsteroyd

Monsteroyd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L v6 vvt
Keep us posted on this please, I bought the same controller and hope it's a matter of an install and flash.

Sure I'll post back the eventual solution. Have you installed yours yet? you may have better luck. Once those dang 3 screws are in, the rest is so simple, just snap the control unit in, and plug in the connectors. I saw a post somewhere where the guy just zip tied the back impossible screw which I would do if I were to do it again. YMMV

Monty

terrible

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sure I'll post back the eventual solution. Have you installed yours yet? you may have better luck. Once those dang 3 screws are in, the rest is so simple, just snap the control unit in, and plug in the connectors. I saw a post somewhere where the guy just zip tied the back impossible screw which I would do if I were to do it again. YMMV

Monty

My controller wont be here until next Wednesday. I hope it'll work as soon as I can install it and get away with having the truck flashed the week after to gain the display. We have a camping trip planned and it'd be nice to take the new truck instead of the wifes GC.