Adding an inline resonator to help drone with FM Super 44

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

El_Lobo_Gris1500C

Reaction score
590F7E63-34CF-4757-8502-239104571E64.jpeg I got a Flowmaster Super 44 installed on my 2021 Ram 1500 Classic Saturday, and though I like the time and rumble, the drone at 1700-1900 rpm at highway speed in 8th gear and at times during acceleration is pretty bad. Will be too loud for wife and kids in the truck, and is a little loud at start up on the street, in my garage etc.
Just wondering if anyone else has had this or noticed this on their truck, and did they do anything to help with the drone and knock a little off the volume of the muffler?

I’m thinking of adding an inline resonator before the muffler, a 3” ID in and out to help. So any thoughts or experience would help, thanks.

(Just FYI truck is a 2021 Classic, 5.7 and a 3.92 axle, 8 speed, FM Super 44, stock pipes, cats, rear resonators, 5” Lyell’s Stainless tips)
8D2085D6-A4C7-42CB-B73A-8AAE5DF7E7D1.png

Nick_rp

I=V/R
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500
Engine
5.7 Sport
I got the fm super 44 but kept the stock resonators. No drone to be heard, so its a good place to start IMO

OP
OP
E

El_Lobo_Gris1500C

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, I also kept the stock tail end resonators, but Inam still getting a lot of volume and drone at highway speed, especially above 103km/hr in 8th gear. If I drop to 7th it’s not so bad but I’m then cruising at over 2k RPM. The fuel consumption gauge seemed to show as not bad, around 7-9 L/100km but, sounds like it’s revving too high to me at that speed and 2100-2200 RPM. So I am hoping an inline resonator before the FM might help.

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Not sure if a pre-muffler resonator would do any good, the exhaust is still going through the muffler baffles where the sound pulses occur.
The problem is where the muffler is physically under the cab IMO.
Flowmaster is a loud/louder/loudest muffler, others are 'nicer'.

pld

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
amazon.ca dynomax ultraflow 17220 I just installed inline before my super 44 calmed it down and smoothed the exhaust sound out. Works like a resonator at half the cost.

OP
OP
E

El_Lobo_Gris1500C

Reaction score
I ended up putting a Vibrant Ultra Quiet resonator on before the muffler and it knocked most of the drone down and some volume, but it virtually killed the ‘Flowmaster sound’ and tone I was after in the first place. Looking at taking it all out and going with a 50 HD or a 50 Delta Flow now. So frustrating this whole exhaust thing ...

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
The 50 will still have cab drone, I ran it for 2 years. At some point you realize you can't have a loud exhaust outside and no noise inside and settle for the compromise that works for you.

I personally love the roar & rumble, and have no one to complain about it so I'm running no muffler and 6" tips.:D

gdawg55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I tried putting a resonator before my muffler once trying to reduce drone. I didn't notice any difference......still had drone. Ended up taking that setup off and installing a muffler that didn't drone. I did have a FM Super 40 for a short time that didn't drone, but never tried the 44.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I ended up putting a Vibrant Ultra Quiet resonator on before the muffler and it knocked most of the drone down and some volume, but it virtually killed the ‘Flowmaster sound’ and tone I was after in the first place. Looking at taking it all out and going with a 50 HD or a 50 Delta Flow now. So frustrating this whole exhaust thing ...

Try a Dynomax bullet as a resonator before the Flowmaster. Dynomax 24246 for example.

OP
OP
E

El_Lobo_Gris1500C

Reaction score
Getting the American Thunder 50 HD put on today, resonator and Super 44 taken out. Hoping this mild/moderate aggressive muffler with built in resonator will do the trick for drone yet still give me the rumble and deep tone of a Flowmaster that I’m after.

No wonder the Super 44 was so aggressive and droning, it’s like only two options away from straight pipes or open headers according to the Flowmaster chart of mufflers from stock to aggressive lol!!! IMG_2206.jpg

Sent from my iPhone while trying to avoid distraction

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did you end up with the 50? Do you like the sound? Years ago I did something similar except I went from 10 to 50. The 50 came out next day cause it wasn’t loud enough. 10 droned like a ****. Back then I ended up with the Dynomax bullet and SLP LM2 muffler. This was on a LS1 Camaro though.

OP
OP
E

El_Lobo_Gris1500C

Reaction score
I have the American Thunder bolt on kit muffler on it now, which is the 50 HD muffler, not bolted on but welded in though, stainless, sounds good. Aggressive when you step on it, a little drone but nowhere NEAR what I was getting with the Super 44 at highway speeds and 1800-2000rpm. So far I’d say I’m happy with it.

OP
OP
E

El_Lobo_Gris1500C

Reaction score
Hope you're enjoying your tips!! Appreciate your support

Thanks! Yes they are great, they look awesome and fill the bumper cutouts perfectly. I wanted the black originally but after some thought decided on the stainless as I want to actually see them. The black ones get lost in the shadows of the bumper and blend in with the undercarriage of the truck, so you end up with bigger tips that match the blackout emblems etc. But they get lost in the darkness, from a distance you can’t even see them lol. Something most people don’t think about I guess, or maybe just how I see things.

Either way I am totally happy with mine, thanks again!

Lyle Longboat

2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Sport CC
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have 2 super 44s sitting in my shed. Idk if I’m moving on installing them myself or just have a shop throw them in. Very curious to see how it’ll sound over the current dual magnaflow glasspacks I have installed. I’m
Looking to order custom 7” hexagon tips at the moment, moving from the the 5” I have right now.