Advice on installing door speakers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Darevrin43

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2009 ram 1500 Quad cab and I am finally going to upgrade the audio in it after owning the truck for two years. I am looking at the infinity Kappa 62.11i door speakers but crutchfield says they do not fit. the depth is fine but the top of the speaker will press up against the grill once i put the door panel back on.

Curious if anyone else has had a set of speakers like this and if so did you modify to make them fit while keeping the stock speaker grills in the truck or did you keep searching for other speakers. I have always liked infinity having owned some in the past and these speakers have great reviews but will go another route if that is the best option for finding speakers that fit.

Thanks

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
I had the Kicker KS693's and it pressed the grill out some, maybe do a set of 6.5" components, buy the 6x9 to 6.5" adapters, and put tweeter up in sail, dash, or in plate?

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The issue you will have is there isn't tons of 6x9 coaxial out there that the tweeter sits low in. I'm with Goose a good 6.5 and tweeter in the dash will sound great.

S

scotts2012ram

I've seen the alpine 6x9 type r's fit or as said 6 1/2 components. To be truthfull I find Crutchfield to be off on what will fit most the time. I've put alot of stuff in and fit they said wouldn't.

OP
OP
D

Darevrin43

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Appreciate the tips. The rep said that it isn't the depth of the speaker that is the issue but it is the top of the speaker that sticks out too far. It presses against the stock speaker grill. Is the rep playing it safe and it's just close most likely or should I go about other options if this is the case?

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
You do not want the speaker to touch any of the speaker grill/door panel. The speaker needs clearances to perform mechanically, and audibly. Close is fine...mine is close especially at xmax...but contact is a no no.

Boulevardvette

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you plan on going with a sub stage a set of 6.5 components would sound great.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
I don't think its the surround that will touch, but the hard part of the tweeter, and press out the plastic factory grill.

OP
OP
D

Darevrin43

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes it is the tweeter that the guy at crutchfield is claiming will touch the speaker grill. But I am wondering if they are for sure of this or just playing it safe because it will be close and just running with the "it will not fit."

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
I'm sure they have the measurements, they are one of the best in the industry, Id take their word for it.

OP
OP
D

Darevrin43

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Spoke to the rep one more time. He was pretty certain that the speakers would not fit and provided dimensions for why they wouldn't. I'm thinking a component set is my best bet. Will putting the tweeter in the dash work and will two tweeters in the dash fill the whole cabin? Or does the rear doors need tweeters as well?

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
I put 6.5" in door, and 30mm tweeter in dash. Play with placement, use double sided tape, and put them in door, listen to it, put them in sail, listen, dash, repeat until you find YOUR sweet spot.

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
From the Harmon website on the 62.11i: 2 1/8 mounting depth, 2 15/16 overall depth. The 6x9 mounting depth is 3 3/16 with an overall of 4 inches. So you're gonna need 13/16 from the factory mounting hole to the back of the factory grill for each speaker.

Take out the factory speaker, stick something across the factory hole that is 1 inch thick to be on the safe side. If you can get the door panel back on with no rubbing, you should be fine. If not a dremmel is a great investment. Cut the support fins of the back of the grill if there are any. You will want to check your depth from factory cutout to the door/window hardware too.

What are you powering these speakers with anyways?

Here is a link to the harmon PDF if it shows up.

http://demandware.edgesuite.net/aau.../dw61881aaf/pdfs/Kap_52-11i_693-11i_OM_EN.pdf

OP
OP
D

Darevrin43

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
By looking at that chart it seems as if the infinity kappa 52.11i (5 1/4) will be a very close fit, that is adding in the mounting bracket that will have to be put in. The 62.11i (6 1/2) will push into the speaker grill for sure with the mounting bracket. That is a good idea though I will try to put something that is an inch thick and see if the door gets pressed against it.

Nothing will power these speakers right off the bat. Everything will be bought individually but the amp will come not long after. Will research amps once I find the perfect speaker combination that I can get.

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
Crutch has always been great with me regarding returns. So if they don't fit, get an rma and send them in for credit.

I say go for it and modify the door as needed. Just do it before your return window closes.

Will probably be easier to put the tweeters in the sail. This way you don't have to run the wire from the crossover through the door and to the dash.

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
By looking at that chart it seems as if the infinity kappa 52.11i (5 1/4) will be a very close fit, that is adding in the mounting bracket that will have to be put in. The 62.11i (6 1/2) will push into the speaker grill for sure with the mounting bracket. That is a good idea though I will try to put something that is an inch thick and see if the door gets pressed against it.

Nothing will power these speakers right off the bat. Everything will be bought individually but the amp will come not long after. Will research amps once I find the perfect speaker combination that I can get.

If you need an amp let me know I have a Skar Audio SK125.4 that I am letting go for $250 shipped CONUS. Also stick with either 6.5 or larger for speakers, our doors are huge and you want to take advantage of that as much as possible.

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
One last thing: The infinity are 2 Ohm. Most headunits don't like that low of an impedance. Infinity says the stock wiring sufficiently increases the resistance so the headunit sees 4 Ohm or close to it. It might work for a short time, but I doubt you will be able to turn it up without significant distortion. Most headunits push no more than 20-25 watts rms per channel. I know first hand that the 6.5 kappas can handle their rated 75 watts (2-3 year old model).

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
20-25wrms is very very generous I would say without a factory amp its closer to 7wrms.

daggertats

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 ram reg cab 4x4
Engine
i installed infinity reference 6.5 components in my truck. they sounded great till i put a new head unit in just this week.......now they are outstanding .