JBL GTO 6x9 front and back speaker upgrade. Thoughts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yekimtrof0331

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the stock 6 speaker system in my 2017 ram 2500 and it doesn't sound terrible. I've been thinking about putting JBL GTO 6x9s in the front and back doors. MY QUESTION IS, why doesn't Crutchfield or any other website say that they will fit? Is it possible to use these speakers? If not, why? If yes, what is required to do so?

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Most of the time they are too deep. You might be able to space them out but it's going to depend.

With that said, don't expect big results by just changing the speakers. I've done it and wasn't impressed with speakers alone. I later added an amp and sound processing and that made a huge difference....

Gwerner74

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
It's the depth that's preventing them from fitting.

EDIT: Looks like I misspoke, there are multiple 6x9s on Crutchfield's site that fit.

Last edited:

White six four

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I got some pioneer 6x9's from Crutchfield last year for my 6 speaker truck. Fit perfect in front and rear doors. It wasn't a huge improvement but sounds cleaner then the stock ones. Got them on sale for $25 a pair. Just a quick look on their website it shows they have 11 different 6x9s that fit our doors.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
hard to imagine 12$ speakers sounding that good.

ewheeler454

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
They would work in the back doors but not the front due to the depth. Also, the factory radio doesn't have enough power to drive most aftermarket speakers and will most like distort at higher volumes. I'm running Kenwood KFC-D691 6x9's in the back doors, Kenwood KFC-D161 6 1/2" in the front doors, and Pioneer TS-A879 Tweeters on the dash with a DS18 DX4 Amp powering it all. This amp is small enough to mount in the factory location on a factory bracket and pushes a LOT of power and looks clean. I have a Kenwood KSC-PSW8 sub under the driver's seat. System sounds great and I've yet to get it past 20. :)

Gwerner74

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
They would work in the back doors but not the front due to the depth. Also, the factory radio doesn't have enough power to drive most aftermarket speakers and will most like distort at higher volumes. I'm running Kenwood KFC-D691 6x9's in the back doors, Kenwood KFC-D161 6 1/2" in the front doors, and Pioneer TS-A879 Tweeters on the dash with a DS18 DX4 Amp powering it all. This amp is small enough to mount in the factory location on a factory bracket and pushes a LOT of power and looks clean. I have a Kenwood KSC-PSW8 sub under the driver's seat. System sounds great and I've yet to get it past 20. :)
I don't know about the Harman Karden 8.4 units but I can tell you the Pioneer units from 2018 are surpringly clean with no distortion up to max volume. I just verified mine using both an oscilloscope and the Steve Meade Designs distortion detector.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357