Aftermarket back up camera rolling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bperrine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm having trouble with my aftermarket back up camera rolling. Is there a better place to get 12v to the camera and the reverse signal than the reverse light?

Eng50

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.6l
I'm having trouble with my aftermarket back up camera rolling. Is there a better place to get 12v to the camera and the reverse signal than the reverse light?
Several questions:
-Make, model and year?
-Have you tried a separate power supply for testing purposes ie, a battery just to see if it is indeed the reverse light circuit?
That's where I would start as it's possible the circuit is driven by pulse width modulation and that can affect the camera, conversely if it continues when tested with a battery source it is likely a bad camera or interference being picked up in wiring..
Reply with results and I'll be glad to help you continue to diagnose it..

Bill

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When i added one to my old '13 i used the power in the 7pin trailer and a relay with the reverse lights only triggering the relay. I am very cautious about putting power draws on electrical systems now days. the slightest draw can trip a CEL.

OP
OP
B

Bperrine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Several questions:
-Make, model and year?
-Have you tried a separate power supply for testing purposes ie, a battery just to see if it is indeed the reverse light circuit?
That's where I would start as it's possible the circuit is driven by pulse width modulation and that can affect the camera, conversely if it continues when tested with a battery source it is likely a bad camera or interference being picked up in wiring..
Reply with results and I'll be glad to help you continue to diagnose it..

Bill

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
I got pow and ground from the trailer harness

OP
OP
B

Bperrine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I got pow and ground from the trailer harness. The camera works now. 12v from the reverse light will not work. I don't know why. It's working now though. Thanks for taking the time to help me out.