aftermarket back up camera soft key button in '14? is it an option?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

p8ntballa9362

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hello all, i recently installed an aftermarket rear cam and tapped it into the factory u connect. after going through that hell of wrong connectors and having the video feed wires reversed, ive programmed the truck with alfa obd and i get the camera when i back up, but i dont get the soft key to turn it on while im in park. when i activate the cargo cam in alfa obd it gives me that soft key for the cargo cam but not the rear view camera. ive done extensive googling and cant find a solid answer. some people say they have it, some people say the 15 and older dont have that option. am i going on a goose chase trying to figure this out or is it just not possible to activate that button option on a 2014 ram? thanks

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I have it on my '14, BUT my radio is out of a '16. I seem to recall the soft button being there before I swapped to the 8" radio (it had the 5" from the factory) but I'm not 100% certain. One thing that might be the issue though is that the factory backup camera is not just a camera. It's actually on the can-bus and reports it's status to the BCM and Radio. An aftermarket camera probably doesn't have that capability.

-K

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
hello all, i recently installed an aftermarket rear cam and tapped it into the factory u connect. after going through that hell of wrong connectors and having the video feed wires reversed, ive programmed the truck with alfa obd and i get the camera when i back up, but i dont get the soft key to turn it on while im in park. when i activate the cargo cam in alfa obd it gives me that soft key for the cargo cam but not the rear view camera. ive done extensive googling and cant find a solid answer. some people say they have it, some people say the 15 and older dont have that option. am i going on a goose chase trying to figure this out or is it just not possible to activate that button option on a 2014 ram? thanks
I'm pretty sure it 16+ trucks only...

OP
OP
P

p8ntballa9362

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i appreciate it fellas, ive got the option for static gridlines enabled and those dont show either. and i thought about it not reporting to the CAN system but when i enable the cargo cam, that soft key shows up....so idk.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
some people say the 15 and older dont have that option.
I have a UAQ in a '15 and have the button to turn on the back-up camera on my radio. It shows up in the Apps page

OP
OP
P

p8ntballa9362

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
not sure if anybody cares but i did find out that if you splice an aftermarket camera into your uconnect, enable all the rear view camera options in alfa obd and then enable the CHMSL camera present option, it will allow you to add the soft key and activate the rear camera at any time while youre driving. but it will not automatically show the camera when you put it in reverse youll have to hit the cargo cam button. this is on a 2014 1500 bighorn

deeretech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I have the button for rear cam on my 2013 with factory 8.4. Did not come with cameras factory, I added the factory kit for tailgate and activated with alfa. I also added an aftermarket camera on the back of my wife's horse trailer and tied it into the CHMSL feed, works great other than every time you shift to reverse with the trailer you have to push the soft button to select the CHMSL cam