Aftermarket LED Tail Lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Benji123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Bought new aftermarket tail lights for my 11 ram 1500 and they are LED. They did come with load resistors however while the truck is off the right tail light randomly flashes in intervals of about every 1 minute. Hasn’t killed my battery yet but I’m worried about it happening eventually. Anybody every experience this or have any idea what could be wrong?

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
What brand tails did you purchase?

OP
OP
Benji123

Benji123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
They are DNA Motoring “c” style LED’s.

Garry Ram 1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I replaced all my bulbs with LED on my 2010 1500, no issues at all with flashing when the truck is off. Do they ever stop flashing? Could it be the load resistors just dumping power? I imagine an LED flash does not use a lot of juice.

AE5548

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I replaced all my bulbs with LED on my 2010 1500, no issues at all with flashing when the truck is off. Do they ever stop flashing? Could it be the load resistors just dumping power? I imagine an LED flash does not use a lot of juice.

You are correct, LED flashes draw absolutely minuscule amounts of power. So i wouldn't be too concerned with killing your battery. But something is not right. I would remove the tail light on that side and connect a multimeter with a peak setting and leave it sit for awhile. Ideally watch it and see if you are seeing stray voltage coming through the wiring.

Resistors don't typically store energy so it wouldn't seem likely that is the issue but with LED's taking so little energy to operate it's possible.

Lone Star Land

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Similar LED issue here...Let me know if I should start this as a new thread...

2012 DrW Ram 3500- Tail Light prob.

I put in LED lamps and capacitors 'Resistors' from Napa; same as the LED bulbs, btwn the ground and flash, power lines...those work okay....
3 wires to the bulb- flash, ground, tail...

The same bulb has a separate wire for the tail light/night marker which does not come on w/auto or manual headlight-driving lights....
tested with a probe & sometimes works (lights the probe btwn ground & tail marker wire) on the wire & ground (but not @ the bulb)....
Thoughts on troubleshooting this...??

Last edited:

Lone Star Land

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
resistor...
Should I try jumping across the flash/brake power line and not onto the ground line?
I know 120v, 240v AC home electrical...not so much 12v, DC

Cannot drive at night without paranoia of smokey on my tail
:cool::driver:

Last edited: