Aftermarket tow mirror problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dav8388

Reaction score
Ram Year
In limbo between trucks
Engine
3.6 pentastar
So I just converted my 2017 ram from crank windows do power windows. Let me tell you it is not easy, but the main problem. I installed a set of eBay towing mirrors, and now the temp is just showing dashes. Also the CEL is on for ambient temperature sensor. I looked on Alfaobd and looked at temp sensor location but not sure which one to select. Has anyone had this issue with aftermarket mirrors?

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I'm not positive on this but I recall a thread that discussed the temp sensor. They said it is in the mirror. Hopefully someone with real knowledge will chime in.

OP
OP
dav8388

dav8388

Reaction score
Ram Year
In limbo between trucks
Engine
3.6 pentastar
Ya I should have mentioned that. It has a sensor in the mirror. I just have no reading.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Do those mirrors actually have the sensor? IIRC up to 2012 the sensor was in the grille but when they switched to the active grille shutters in 2013 they moved the sensor to the drivers mirror. If your mirrors are from a 2012 or older then they likely don't have the sensor. You should be able to see it.

Me and my son both bought Trail Ridge tow mirrors from 1A Auto and both worked fine

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Probably won't help but maybe try unhooking your battery for a few minutes. I really doubt that will change anything but it's a cheap try. Aside from that I'd say maybe the sensor in the new mirrors is bad.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
So I just converted my 2017 ram from crank windows do power windows. Let me tell you it is not easy, but the main problem. I installed a set of eBay towing mirrors, and now the temp is just showing dashes. Also the CEL is on for ambient temperature sensor. I looked on Alfaobd and looked at temp sensor location but not sure which one to select. Has anyone had this issue with aftermarket mirrors?
Check VehConfig 5 ambient temperature sensor location, and make sure it’s set to DCM, and not CBC.

csuder99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ya I should have mentioned that. It has a sensor in the mirror. I just have no reading.

Did you actually verify that there is a working sensor or is this merely based on what the eBay seller claimed ? As you hopefully still have the old driver side mirror, basic troubleshooting steps: Connect the old mirror and see if the readings come back. If yes the tow mirror doesn't have a working sensor. If no, something went wrong with the power window install.

OP
OP
dav8388

dav8388

Reaction score
Ram Year
In limbo between trucks
Engine
3.6 pentastar
Ya I did set it to dcm. I cut off the oe sensor since the plug is completely different I inserted the wires into the plug on the mirror and still get nothing. I checked continuity to see if any wires are broken and it has continuity with the heater circuit Which doesn't make any sense.

csuder99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I happen to have a set of 2014 mirrors sitting around and the temperature sensor wires are the white and the black next to it. It shares the black wire with the heater element (likely ground) so that checks out. Resistance read ~12k for high 70s.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I happen to have a set of 2014 mirrors sitting around and the temperature sensor wires are the white and the black next to it. It shares the black wire with the heater element (likely ground) so that checks out. Resistance read ~12k for high 70s.
Does the white wire for the temp sensor on the new mirror go in pin 5 of the black C2 mirror connector that plugs into the door module?

OP
OP
dav8388

dav8388

Reaction score
Ram Year
In limbo between trucks
Engine
3.6 pentastar

OK. I did swap the mirrors with a friends truck and it still didn't work, So it looks like it is a wire problem in the cab. I changed out the entire cab harness and this is the only thing to go wrong. I guess I can't complain, but it looks like im gonna have to trace the harness to find the problem.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
OK. I did swap the mirrors with a friends truck and it still didn't work, So it looks like it is a wire problem in the cab. I changed out the entire cab harness and this is the only thing to go wrong. I guess I can't complain, but it looks like im gonna have to trace the harness to find the problem.
Did your truck originally come with basic mirrors, and was the original VehConfig 5 sensor location set as CBC?

OP
OP
dav8388

dav8388

Reaction score
Ram Year
In limbo between trucks
Engine
3.6 pentastar
Did your truck originally come with basic mirrors, and was the original VehConfig 5 sensor location set as CBC?

Yes. I set it to dcm after everything was installed.