Aiming Driving Lights....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grubrunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
It's been a little while since I ran a set of driving lights.

About to install some PIAA 5264's this week I picked up recently.

I know it's app. 20FT from a wall parked on a level surface. But are you working off the low-beams' hotspot OR the high-beams' hotspot as far as lining up the driving lights' hotspot?

Thanks.

2K10HemiRam

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Hometown: Tacoma, WA Stationed: Alamogordo NM
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When I installed a set on my 99, I just went out to a road that saw no traffic in the middle of the night and aimed them to what I thought looked good, lol. But if you're going to line them up to either, I'd probably say the high beams because I'd imagine in order to get the best use out of them, they should be higher then your lows.

OP
OP
Grubrunner

Grubrunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
It just occured to me to check the manufacturer's website.

Here's what I found --

DRIVING LIGHTS

Typically, driving lights are mounted above the front bumper about 14-30 inches from the ground to provide extra high beam illumination. Driving lights can be mounted below the bumper, although they will not be as effective because the light will hit the ground sooner and reduce the range of the light. Visual aim is made with the center of the beam hot spot 1.5 inches below the lamp center at 25 feet with the lamp facing straight forward. (See below.)

aiming-driving.png

FOG & FOUL WEATHER LIGHTS

Traditional fog lights are usually mounted under the front bumper about 10-24inches from the ground. There are two important issues to address when installing fog lights, the first is to minimize the amount of return glare into the driver’s eyes, and the other is to minimize glare into oncoming driver’s eyes. Both must be accomplished while putting as much light as possible on the road. These fog/foul weather light aiming instruc- tions are suggestions taken from common practice and the S.A.E. standard J583. Some modifications to these instructions may be necessary to minimize glare. Visual aim is made with the top of the beam 4 inches below the lamp center at 25 feet with the lamp facing straight forward. (See below.)

aiming-fog.png