Air bags to increase pay load

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Westwind1124a

Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 ZR2Hd
Engine
6.6 Duramax

From this thread a while back it looks like it was determined that no, the components are not all the same. what difference it makes, who knows. but its not just the soft springs

But aren’t the axles, diff, brakes, frame etc on the PW all full-on 3/4 ton grade and it’s just the softer ‘off-road’ springs that result in the lower payload ratings? Seems if there’s one truck you can use air bags too carry somewhat over rated load its the PW.

Yep. Exactly.

Yup. I’ve been down this rabbit hole with people before. Unless you have a super **** retentive state no trooper will ever stop you hauling a big load because they realize it’s a 2500. Everything else except the springs are identical

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

From this thread a while back it looks like it was determined that no, the components are not all the same. what difference it makes, who knows. but its not just the soft springs
In a 2500, all the main components that matter are basically the same…motor, trans, tcase, axles, brakes…the main difference is the taller/softer springs and d-rated off road tires.

Westwind1124a

Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 ZR2Hd
Engine
6.6 Duramax
In a 2500, all the main components that matter are basically the same…motor, trans, tcase, axles, brakes…the main difference is the taller/softer springs and d-rated off road tires.
I hear ya. But they simply aren't identical. the front arms look like tooth picks on the pw vs the non. Not knocking the pw either. I loved mine

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I hear ya. But they simply aren't identical. the front arms look like tooth picks on the pw vs the non. Not knocking the pw either. I loved mine
They are nearly identical other than the articulate arm/added joint.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

They are nearly identical other than the articulate arm/added joint.
I agree with olyelr on this one. And regardless, I'm not sure how somebody thinks that the front control arms would be the reason for the differences in payload and towing ratings.......
Don't get me wrong, a factory PW does not handle higher payloads and heavier towing as well as a regular 2500. Nobody debates that. However a PW can handle decent size payloads and trailers when stock. I see people post all the time and they basically say a PW can't tow or haul anything (seriously, they basically say that). That is not my experience and adding a $400 set of airbags makes mine handle a load just as good as my previous 2500HD non-PW truck. And yes, I know that on paper and legally that airbags or other mods do not increase the ratings. But in real life use I have personally found that dealing with the soft rear PW springs was the only thing needed.

Westwind1124a

Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 ZR2Hd
Engine
6.6 Duramax
I wasn't saying that the arms are the deciding factor in payload/towing capacity. Just that they are different, unlike the myth around here that everything is exactly the same except the soft springs. The front axles are different too. Why, I dont know. if anyone has that info I'd love to know the reason. Same with the front arms. Are they different to accommodate the articulink, maybe?.?.?. And yes, they tow well. I said it before, Great trucks.

Attachments

• Untitledhjh.jpg
    Untitledhjh.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 15
  • Untitledcfdfc.png
    Untitledcfdfc.png
    736.8 KB · Views: 15

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wasn't saying that the arms are the deciding factor in payload/towing capacity. Just that they are different, unlike the myth around here that everything is exactly the same except the soft springs. The front axles are different too. Why, I dont know. if anyone has that info I'd love to know the reason. Same with the front arms. Are they different to accommodate the articulink, maybe?.?.?. And yes, they tow well. I said it before, Great trucks.
I think the different view points are coming from whether you are just talking about a certain trait of the truck (i.e. payload specific question of this post), or if you are comparing the trucks overall. Sure, there are many differences between a Power Wagon and regular 2500. But this post is talking about payload capabilities, and in that regard the main difference is just in the different springs.

Just for information. The articulink front arms on a PW can be directly replaced with normal arms, or vice versa. If you look at pictures of both they are almost identical with the exception of the articulink arms have a jointed front upper axle connection versus a solid mount on a regular 2500. I would say 75% of the arms literally looks identical to each other with the exception of the joints. For differences in the front axle, it's the same basic axles assembly with the PW having the locker installed in the axle. You can instlal the locker assembly into a non-PW front axle, and again vice versa.

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Just used mine yesterday. 4 wheeler in the back with a loaded trailer behind. Worked like a charm