Air suspension: Is it worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bIackjack95

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
hi, im going to get a 3500 regular cab SRW and was going to get a dually 5500 with a flatbed but I decided to get a 3500 truck for my personal truck and for towing my lift for my business (around 11k). I want the gooseneck prep in case I need it but most if not all the time I will be using the hitch. Do you think I should I get the air suspension as I can order a truck I want now without it or wait for the 2020 with the auto air suspension from the factory. I also am curious if anyone knows the maximum weight for the hitch I know on the towing graphs it says max but that could be with the gooseneck.

13ram1500crew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
With a 5th wheel, i would get the air suspension. Tow behind, no air. Ive read a lot about the air suspension preventing the anti-sway systems from working properly.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Air leveling is the only way to go. I have it on my 2016 2500 Mega Cab and WHAT A WORLD OF DIFFERENCE. It's perfectly level under a 15k load. Tows fantastic as well. My truck and trailer geometry stays as it should. Headlights are properly aimed at night. I use all the time when hooking up my trailers. Lower the suspension, back under the trailer, raise the suspension, done. I just bought a 2019 5th gen (4 1/2 gen in my book) with air leveling. I will never buy another truck without it. Hope this helps.

Ram3500Owner1971

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Turbo Diesel
hi, im going to get a 3500 regular cab SRW and was going to get a dually 5500 with a flatbed but I decided to get a 3500 truck for my personal truck and for towing my lift for my business (around 11k). I want the gooseneck prep in case I need it but most if not all the time I will be using the hitch. Do you think I should I get the air suspension as I can order a truck I want now without it or wait for the 2020 with the auto air suspension from the factory. I also am curious if anyone knows the maximum weight for the hitch I know on the towing graphs it says max but that could be with the gooseneck.

The 3500 has a class v hitch, which is generally 12k gvwr without a distributed weight hitch, and 17k gvwr with a distributed weight hitch.

Tongue weight is usually 10% of your total weight. This means 1200 lbs without a distributed hitch and 1700 lbs with a distributed hitch.

Any more than 10-12k and you'll need to be using your 5th wheel, and depending on options, using the 5th wheel brings you up to about 21k.

These are the ratings for my 3500 SRW Cummins 6.7, your mileage may vary depending on other options. I bought mine from a dealership without educating myself greatly in it until after the purchase. I'm not unhappy with my truck, in fact I love it, but there are a couple of things that in hindsight, if I ordered the truck I would have got.

Like an 8 spd transmission, and that auto cruise option that follows other vehicles speeds.

Last edited: