Phone overheats while using wireless charger

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FlyFisher99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've used a wireless charger on my Samsung S21 for years, just put it on the charger when I go to bed, pick it up in the morning and it's at 85% (battery protection mode On). Never a problem.

Yesterday I used the wireless charger on a 12 hr drive on my 2023 Laramie 1500, while running both Google maps navigation, stteaming IHeartRadio music, and talking on phone, all via android auto.

All worked, battery went from 30% to 50% in a couple hrs, but then the Ram/android auto screen flashed "phone over heating" message (something like that don't remember the exact wording).

Is there a problem with the wireless pad in the Ram? Or, is there a problem in general using wireless charging while the phone is under heavy load ( navigating and streaming music at same time, for several hours)?

PolarisCobra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
In general, I think you should be able to do this just fine. May depend on the age of the phone (battery condition), and how many apps you are using. My phone does get warmer when using my bedside wireless charger, running more apps will make it warmer as well.

Maybe try plugging the charger into the USB port, see how warm it get when running all the apps.

Pastor Bob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a brand new Iphone (work issued, else it would be an Android) and it gets hot to the touch even in an otterbox case using the truck's wireless. Never have that on my wireless charger at home. I don't know if it should do that or not.