Air Suspension Kit for 2500 - Recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Members - not sure where to park this post. I put it here in Heavy Duty since I think it needs a unique suspension.

My truck is Gen IV, of course, 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 with 6-1/2 foot bed. This model year added all coil spring suspension. It rides pretty good - until the Feds forced OEM's to enforce rated load air pressure warnings for all tires regardless of actual loads. Ram revised the control software about a year ago. Now I can't lower the rear tire pressure below ~ 72 psi without the low tire pressure warning going off.

Before the Feds forced dummy-proofing on us, I rode with the rear tires between 50-65 psi, then aired them up to full 80 psi when pulling heavy loads. But since we're obviously too stupid to protect ourselves, I'm wondering if a rear air ride suspension would help?

Proposal:
Leave rear tires @ full rated pressure 80psi.
Remove Coil Springs
Add Air Springs with self-compensating load adjustment (similar to semi trailers).

Since the stock springs are rated for full load, I'm thinking I'd have to toss them? Unless they're progressive load rate springs.

Suggestions? Best brands, etc.?

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Or just lower the PSI where you like it to give a smooth ride and ignore the stupid TPMS light. And it's free!

OP
OP
HEMIMANN

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Or just lower the PSI where you like it to give a smooth ride and ignore the stupid TPMS light. And it's free!

:emotions34: Um, yeah, but it is distracting. That's how I found out that they messed with it - while they were fixing a software problem elsewhere.

OP
OP
HEMIMANN

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Or you could lower the pressure warning threshold using AlfaOBD and run lower tire pressure...

Ah - yeah, I forgot about this magical AlphaOBD. I've read someplace here that it still won't allow this parameter to be modified.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Ah - yeah, I forgot about this magical AlphaOBD. I've read someplace here that it still won't allow this parameter to be modified.

It absolutely will modify it, I did it on my 2016. So much better for daily driving.

OP
OP
HEMIMANN

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
It absolutely will modify it, I did it on my 2016. So much better for daily driving.

Huh. Wonder why conflicting recommendations? What do I need to do this? Is there a specific device / vendor / etc.?

lpennock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L & 6.7L Cummins
You need the security pin. The dealer parts is supposed to give it to you with proof you own the truck. Some dealers refuse to provide it but there is pin pulling app in Google play store that can pull the pin for about $20. Then you just need AlfaOBD, an android device and a obd Bluetooth adapter (recommend is a MX or MX+).

Sent from my SM-T500 using Tapatalk

Rick Ram-jet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 4x4 CC / LB
Engine
6.4 L
:emotions34: Um, yeah, but it is distracting. That's how I found out that they messed with it - while they were fixing a software problem elsewhere.

Or, run tire pressures that ride smooth, then go to the dollar store and get yourself some dot stickers and put one on your dash over the dummy light!

As for air suspension, unless you tow heavy often, you don`t need it!

OP
OP
HEMIMANN

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
You need the security pin. The dealer parts is supposed to give it to you with proof you own the truck. Some dealers refuse to provide it but there is pin pulling app in Google play store that can pull the pin for about $20. Then you just need AlfaOBD, an android device and a obd Bluetooth adapter (recommend is a MX or MX+).

I appreciate all that. But I barely understand it.

I know how to plug in a device to my OBDII connector port. I did that to flash my Edge Pulsar Tuner ECM. Was pretty proud of myself @ age 62. But demanding a security pin for service? Um, not so sure - my former company would not provide it without a company qualified technician.

I assume AlfaOBD is some kind of service software? Not sure what an adapter is for Bluetooth (I know what Bluetooth is). I had to buy an OBDII Port cable with USB end to connect between my laptop and the truck with Edge Pulsar ECM installed. I was successful at that.

I have an "Android Device" = Samsung Galaxy 8+ Smartphone.

G. Mcpherson

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Ram 2500 CC SB Tradesman
Engine
6.7 Cummins
There is a Large Thread on Alpha here on the Forum. It has everything you need to know about doing what you are looking for. Check it out for sure. It will take care of your TPMS setting.

lpennock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L & 6.7L Cummins
I appreciate all that. But I barely understand it.

I know how to plug in a device to my OBDII connector port. I did that to flash my Edge Pulsar Tuner ECM. Was pretty proud of myself @ age 62. But demanding a security pin for service? Um, not so sure - my former company would not provide it without a company qualified technician.

I assume AlfaOBD is some kind of service software? Not sure what an adapter is for Bluetooth (I know what Bluetooth is). I had to buy an OBDII Port cable with USB end to connect between my laptop and the truck with Edge Pulsar ECM installed. I was successful at that.

I have an "Android Device" = Samsung Galaxy 8+ Smartphone.
http://www.alfaobd.com/

Start by downloading AlfaOBD and installing.
You can run in demo mode to see if it is too confusing.

You will want the body module. Once you've chosen the year click the icon that looks lie a car with the hood open.

Then on the "select procedure to start" scroll to close to bottom and there will be a "update pressure thresholds". Choose the pressures you want.

That is as far as can go without the obd adapter. Use Google search "obdlink mx". The MX and MX+ are the best to use with AlfaOBD.

OP
OP
HEMIMANN

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
http://www.alfaobd.com/

Start by downloading AlfaOBD and installing.
You can run in demo mode to see if it is too confusing.

You will want the body module. Once you've chosen the year click the icon that looks lie a car with the hood open.

Then on the "select procedure to start" scroll to close to bottom and there will be a "update pressure thresholds". Choose the pressures you want.

That is as far as can go without the obd adapter. Use Google search "obdlink mx". The MX and MX+ are the best to use with AlfaOBD.

Thanks - I know the AlphaOBD Forum is a million posts & I'm late to the enthusiast party, so I'm very appreciative.
I think I get it, I'll muck about and try some stuff.

However - I might have goofed myself up because I already installed and downloaded DiabloSport's Edge Pulsar in-line ECM Tuner Module. If this AlphaOBD service software is expecting the unmodified OEM ECM, it's still there, it's just that the Pulsar ECM is piggybacked to it.

lpennock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L & 6.7L Cummins
AlfaOBD doesn't do much to ecm, most things you do are for the bcm. I doubt your Diablo will have any impact other than you'll probably want to unplug the obd part when changing things with AlfaOBD.

miles01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I got my PIN number using ALFAOBD
Then I changed the tire treshold limit

Ericnottelin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys. What would you recommend for psi recommendations for unloaded front and rear tires after the alpha OBD2 tpm mod? Thanks