Air Suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Norman Roach

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just got back from Florida April 5, 2019. My Ram Sport has been in my garage since January 23, suspension set at normal ride height, battery was disconnected. Air suspension was still at normal ride height. Reconnected the battery, started right up, I did not hear the compressor start, so that tells me there are "NO" leaks anywhere. I had the suspension purged in December after getting messages. From now on I am getting the system purged before freeze up and change the air filter behind the right tail light. I really like my air suspension system, but Dodge needs to make the system completely closed loop like an air conditioning system and stop checking those air lines behind the right tail light for blockage.

Arth

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Limited 4x4
Engine
6.7 HO Cummins Turbo Diesel
Just got back from Florida April 5, 2019. My Ram Sport has been in my garage since January 23, suspension set at normal ride height, battery was disconnected. Air suspension was still at normal ride height. Reconnected the battery, started right up, I did not hear the compressor start, so that tells me there are "NO" leaks anywhere. I had the suspension purged in December after getting messages. From now on I am getting the system purged before freeze up and change the air filter behind the right tail light. I really like my air suspension system, but Dodge needs to make the system completely closed loop like an air conditioning system and stop checking those air lines behind the right tail light for blockage.

You got a pic of this air filter?

Arth

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'll take a photo tomorrow for you and post it if I can figure out how to do that.

Or even a part number or anything? I've got the air suspension on my 2014 and this is the first I've heard of this.

OP
OP
N

Norman Roach

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'll take a photo tomorrow for you and post it if I can figure out how to do that.
There are some photos. The filter is water and dirt $10.00 for two in a package. They are used on spray paint guns, must be free flow, no resistance. The fittings are from my junk box, compressed air fittings. The old filter was just paper, not water filter. I got mine at Princess Auto or any other supply store.

Arth

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There are some photos. The filter is water and dirt $10.00 for two in a package. They are used on spray paint guns, must be free flow, no resistance. The fittings are from my junk box, compressed air fittings. The old filter was just paper, not water filter. I got mine at Princess Auto or any other supply store.

Well well I learned something new today. Pulled out my right tail light and found what you posted tucked up high on the fender. So if I am understanding you correctly I need to change this filter out periodically.

I am down in Florida so I don't have to worry about snow but humidity sure.

I always wondered where that blow off sound was coming from. My system would sometimes run after sitting for a long period of time. I might give my dealer a call and ask them about a purge for the air suspension. I have a funny feeling they won't know what I'm talking about.

So this filter takes in air when the air compressor needs it and that other line is a blow off line?

Pics of what I found on my 2014.

full

full

OP
OP
N

Norman Roach

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi: You won't have a freeze up. When the compressor test those two lines, it is checking for blockage, my understanding is that if the system runs out of nitrogen it uses air. When air is compressed water is developed. Air contains water. This little filter prevents water droplets that fly up from the rear wheel from entering the system, but it does not filter out the vapor in the air. It will help. Every time the computer test the lines, air on the incoming line and a bit of the nitrogen to test the out going line. Eventually the nitrogen will have to be topped up as one of the messages will indicate nitrogen "LOW" on the data reader that the tech uses, but the message on the truck will simply say service air suspension. Mine went for about a year and a half before I got that message. The tech that services my truck told me a couple years ago to get the system purged before freeze up to get the water out and refill with nitrogen, but I just did not bother getting it done. If your suspension drops down, you probably have a leak. To my knowledge each wheel is independent with a sensor on each wheel. I saw the sensors on the front wheels, but I did not check the back wheels. There are six ports on the valve body, one for each wheel, one for the out line and one for the in line. If a little bit of water gets up to the valve body, it will probably cause erratic operation, but you may not get a message. I plan to change the little filter in the fall before temp drops to freezing and get the system purged and refilled with nitrogen. Hope this helps you..

Last edited:

Arth

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi: You won't have a freeze up. When the compressor test those two lines, it is checking for blockage, my understanding is that if the system runs out of nitrogen it uses air. When air is compressed water is developed. Air contains water. This little filter prevents water droplets that fly up from the rear wheel from entering the system, but it does not filter out the vapor in the air. It will help. Every time the computer test the lines, air on the incoming line and a bit of the nitrogen to test the out going line. Eventually the nitrogen will have to be topped up as one of the messages will indicate nitrogen "LOW" on the data reader that the tech uses, but the message on the truck will simply say service air suspension. Mine went for about a year and a half before I got that message. The tech that services my truck told me a couple years ago to get the system purged before freeze up to get the water out and refill with nitrogen, but I just did not bother getting it done. If your suspension drops down, you probably have a leak. To my knowledge each wheel is independent with a sensor on each wheel. I saw the sensors on the front wheels, but I did not check the back wheels. There are six ports on the valve body, one for each wheel, one for the out line and one for the in line. If a little bit of water gets up to the valve body, it will probably cause erratic operation, but you may not get a message.

Well this is all very interesting.

I think at a minimum I will contact my dealer and see if I can get any information from them about purging the system and re-filling it. Currently though my system has worked without issue. I've only ever gotten service air suspension message once and that was sometime last year and it went away pretty quickly.

Do you have a link to that filter you used? I know you're in Canada so it'll be different but at least I'll have something to go on. I've got a funny feeling no one will know about this filter and I'll be wasting my time trying to have the parts department help me look for one.

OP
OP
N

Norman Roach

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just came home from Florida where I went to Harbor Freight near Orlando. There are Harbor Freight everywhere. You can probably get them there or a auto supplier. They are used on spray paint guns and or compressor parts stores. I use it on my paint guns to filter out water from the air from the compressor.
Here is where you can see the filter.
https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/2-pc-disposable-in-line-moisture-filters/A-p8528598e
You can use the photo to show to a supplier. Just get a male and a female brass fittings to put on the filter and plug the hoses in.
I found the filter at Harbor Freight.
https://www.harborfreight.com/disposable-inline-moisture-filter-68224.html
$2.49 each US, it is the same filter just red in color.

Last edited:

Bigpaul13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well this is all very interesting.

I think at a minimum I will contact my dealer and see if I can get any information from them about purging the system and re-filling it. Currently though my system has worked without issue. I've only ever gotten service air suspension message once and that was sometime last year and it went away pretty quickly.

Do you have a link to that filter you used? I know you're in Canada so it'll be different but at least I'll have something to go on. I've got a funny feeling no one will know about this filter and I'll be wasting my time trying to have the parts department help me look for one.

Please post back with what they say. I thought this was a closed system unless you had a problem. Definitely would want to do any maintenance that may extend the life of the system as those replacement parts are expensive.

Arth

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Please post back with what they say. I thought this was a closed system unless you had a problem. Definitely would want to do any maintenance that may extend the life of the system as those replacement parts are expensive.

Called my dealer this afternoon and the lead tech was very aware of this purge and refill procedure. Quoted me $224 to do the job taking about 2 hours.

I also found the OEM part number for this OEM filter. Mopar doesn't sell it as just a filter but as a hose kit that includes the filter. I couldn't find any service information or anything about it. I think I will take the OP's suggestion and pick up one of these air/water filters from harbor freight.

I also might let the dealer go through with this purge. I have an appointment set for Monday.

Kit for sale from a vendor here on the forum: https://parts.allmoparparts.com/oem-parts/mopar-hose-68204390aa

And here's a picture of it. https://www.moparoneonline.com/oem-...9cmFtJm89MTUwMCZ5PTIwMTUmdD1sYXJhbWllJmU9NHg0

Bigpaul13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Called my dealer this afternoon and the lead tech was very aware of this purge and refill procedure. Quoted me $224 to do the job taking about 2 hours.

I also found the OEM part number for this OEM filter. Mopar doesn't sell it as just a filter but as a hose kit that includes the filter. I couldn't find any service information or anything about it. I think I will take the OP's suggestion and pick up one of these air/water filters from harbor freight.

I also might let the dealer go through with this purge. I have an appointment set for Monday.

Kit for sale from a vendor here on the forum: https://parts.allmoparparts.com/oem-parts/mopar-hose-68204390aa

And here's a picture of it. https://www.moparoneonline.com/oem-...9cmFtJm89MTUwMCZ5PTIwMTUmdD1sYXJhbWllJmU9NHg0

Thanks for the update. I'll have to bring this up with the dealer next time I'm there. Wish there was more information about these systems. All of the research I've done and never heard of the purge as preventative maintenance or this filter.

Arth

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the update. I'll have to bring this up with the dealer next time I'm there. Wish there was more information about these systems. All of the research I've done and never heard of the purge as preventative maintenance or this filter.

You and me both. Kind of blew my mind when I took off that right tail light and found it.

Bigpaul13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You and me both. Kind of blew my mind when I took off that right tail light and found it.
I can imagine. I wonder how many guys at the dealership even know about it. Come back and let us know how the service goes. Scares me a bit that you have to go through them for service. The last dealership I went to said they had to make an adjustment to the rear end of my truck when I was getting an alignment... Couldn't believe what I was hearing.

Arth

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I can imagine. I wonder how many guys at the dealership even know about it. Come back and let us know how the service goes. Scares me a bit that you have to go through them for service. The last dealership I went to said they had to make an adjustment to the rear end of my truck when I was getting an alignment... Couldn't believe what I was hearing.

I am tempted to wait until I get back this summer. I will be gone for a few months for work and my truck will be parked in my garage the entire time. I suspect I have a small leak so this was step one in isolating that.

Bigpaul13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am tempted to wait until I get back this summer. I will be gone for a few months for work and my truck will be parked in my garage the entire time. I suspect I have a small leak so this was step one in isolating that.

Okay well post back when you do. I'll do the same.

Michael123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Hey guys, New to this thread. I am having some big problems with my ram!

Here's the story, the truck is a 2016 ram 1500 bighorn/slt 5.7L hemi 4door auto transmission 43k miles. It was recently involved in light front end collision. the front right side ride height sensor linkage / assembly cracked, so i replaced it. I checked all of the fuses and they seem to be good. Yet the airride suspension does not want to work... While the truck is running i click the button on the inside to raise the truck but it doesnt work. The light illuminates that it is on the bottom setting (entry/exit) and will not blink (which would indicate that it is raising) when i click to raise it. On the dash, a light reads (service air suspension). as of right now, none of the tires have tpms sensors in them because 3 wheels are aftermarket, and one wheel is the spare tire because the aftermarket one cracked in the accident. Do you think that would have anything to do with it? also, will driving it help? I feel like it might be bad to drive it when its on the bottom level but on the other hand, I thought maybe driving it would get the compressor started...

Also, I thought of getting AlphaOBD and trying to find something in there to maybe reset the airride system? but not sure if Alpha OBD has something like that in there...

The truck is in the process of being repaired so I cannot drive it to the dealer anytime soon.

If you could help me out in anyway that would help me very much and would be greatly appreciated.

Bigpaul13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's not the tpms sensors. Ive had the service air ride message come up once and when it did the air ride did not function. So if that message constantly appears, you need to get it scanned and see whats going on. My message went away after I restarted the truck and I haven't had any other problems. I'm guessing there's more going on with yours because of the accident.

Did you try disconnecting the battery?

Michael123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I did try disconnecting it. I will probably buy the AlphaOBD and see if i can find anything on that.