Airbag light on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

9chester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi guys. I'm new to the forum and to Rams in general. I just bought an 05 1500 slt as my son's first ride. There are a few things that need attention on the truck we are sorting through, one being the airbag light stays lit on the dash. I've tried searching here on the forum, but if I missed what I'm looking for, I apologize. So far, after reading different threads, I've checked the 2 15 amp fuses under the hood, the 2 plugs under the cup holders, and the "off" light for the passenger airbag key switch. I checked under the seats for the plugs I keep reading could be the problem, but apparently 05s don't have those? (As I said, I'm new to the Rams!) I looked up the VIN and both bags were replaced with the recall. The horn and cruise both work so does that mean the clock spring is ok? So, have I checked about all I can or am I missing anything? I assume the next step is to get it scanned and see what the code says. Like I said, I tried searching the forums and these are the suggestions I came up with. I was just hoping I've missed something simple. Thanks!

Recoil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi 9chester,

I had a very similar problem on my 03 Ram 1500 SLT. Check out my thread here:

With that being said, do you happen to have access to a scanner that can scan the SRS module? Standard OBDII scanners usually cannot scan that.

OP
OP

9chester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Recoil, thanks for the reply and the link to your post! I appreciate the detail you went in to. Certainly sounds like our issues are pretty much the same. My next step was going to be removing the clock spring and testing it. I just couldn't convince myself that is the issue with the horn and cruise still working. Was all that stuff still good on yours? I can get the truck scanned, I just have to find time to get it to my uncles shop. Unfortunately, I'm waiting for my new oil pan and gasket to get to the house tomorrow. It is rusted up pretty good and seeping oil, so the airbag light sorta went to the back burner. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on your thread for any update, and will post back here as to what I find. Thanks again!

Recoil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey 9chester,

Yep, cruise and horn worked without any issues... And the funny thing with mine is that it just came on one day - it wasn't intermittent when it came on, it just came on and wouldn't go off.

If it helps, I got my clockspring from O'Reilly Auto Parts. I got the Dorman one - they had another one but it was almost twice as much and it wasn't OEM... Looks like this is the one you need:

The 2005 is different than the 2003 as I only have 1 squib connector on the back of my airbag but other than that they look pretty much identical. If you get it at O'Reilly's (or AutoZone), rent the steering wheel puller right away too. Nice thing with that is you will get all your money back when you return the tool.

OP
OP

9chester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Awesome! Thanks for the link and the heads up on the puller. I'll be getting back on the airbag as soon as I get this oil leak straightened out. Good thing is, this is going to be my son's first truck, so I have a few more weeks before he finishes up and gets his license to get all this sorted out. I appreciate the responses!