airbox mod for cone filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

firepuppet66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The last similar post I see is from 2022 from Lyle Longboat so I thought I would do a new post with some other details.
I decided to try and retrofit a reusable cone style filter within the 2009 5.7L stock airbox. I had done this on a 2011 Ford Escape, the filter just clamped on the air outlet, easy-peasy, and gave the old 3.0L a lot more get up and go. Why not try it on the Ram? Cheaper than a new CAI.
I decided on a Spectre cone filter (I later read some stuff on line where people do not think much of this brand, too late now) because it has a larger outlet,( 4"?) and supplies rubber ring adapters for 3" and 2" diameter.
The Ram airbox was going to need a 90 degree turn to go out the airbox side outlet to the Throttle body rubber hose ( I read rubber is used to allow for engine torque). As it turns out the outlet is around 3" in diameter. So I used a 3" PVC elbow to a 3" PVC pipe of 4 3/4" length glued in, it slides out nicely, fits tight enough, and the hose still clamps on the stock outlet. Then, for the cone end of the elbow, I cut the female boss back about an inch leaving enough so the filter would clamp on. this was done to gain clearance to the front of the airbox. I used the 3" adapter ring but I now think any 3" filter would fit on the elbow using some elbow grease, pun intended.
It all fit in with a slight downward tilt of the filter within the box. That's a lot of words for a simple cheap mod, I'll see if I can attach pictures.
End result is, I think, a little better throttle response and maybe a little more "roar" but not much. I will think about adding an extra opening to the box But as Lyle pointed out in 2022 I would be concerned about sucking in more dirt, snow and rain. Because of the cone orientation facing the truck front I think a front air box opening would be best for airflow into the cone as opposed to a side or bottom opening but might not be best for the reasons just mentioned.

Attachments

• 20240320_131301filter in air box top.jpg
    20240320_131301filter in air box top.jpg
    207.1 KB · Views: 28

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I'd be keeping a very close eye on intake dusting with that filter. Wouldn't be much of a gain if it fills the intake with fine dust particles and consequently takes out the piston rings.

OP
OP
F

firepuppet66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
That seems like good advice so I will check it often to see if creates a dust issue. I do drive on dirt roads often enough and I have seen other posts raising concerns with some reusable filters. The right amount of oil is important, not too much, not too little.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The right amount of oil is no oil. I wouldn't use any filter that requires any oil because over time it will gunk up on the MAF sensor. Not to mention the dusting issue.

Why add a cone filter anyhow? The airbox on the Ram is surprisingly efficient.

OP
OP
F

firepuppet66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I added the cone filter because I had good results with a similar install in my 2011 Ford Escape with the 3.0L V6. It greatly improved acceleration in that vehicle. I have not had any oil gunk issues with that install so I figured why not try it on the RAM? Since I did not cut holes in the airbox it would be a simple return to stock if I find there are issues as noted here. So I will monitor the entire setup, checking the the throttle body. All your comments are appreciated.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
If you're wanting benefits with a DIY intake set up, and not have to compromise the OEM filtration capabilities...

Suggest you look at installing the Eco-Diesel/392 Ram lower air box and its associated intake horn, too (the one that connects the the inner fender area and pulls in the outside cooler air), and use the same Eco-Diesel/392 Ram air filter.

Relocate the IAT from the elbow of the intake tube to the center of the air intake horn with an IAT extension.

If you really want better throttle feel, get rid of the stock corrugated intake mid-tube altogether and get a nice 4" smooth pipe and feed it into a silicone elbow for the connection to the throttle body. This will provide greater smooth air flow from the intake assembly right into your throttle body.

Or, perhaps look at the Legmaker kit and get it all in one package.
https://www.legmakerintakes.com/product-p/lmi-ram-truck-mid.htm

Personally, I did the lower airbox & filter mod and also purchased this Legmaker intake kit.
Best thing I did, and I don't need to worry about poor filtration either.

Last edited:

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
It's your truck so do what you want but you haven't done anything good here and prob hurt performance and reliability. The stock filter has more filter area than your cone filter, you've added a hard 90 to the intake track which reduces flow and acts like 4ft of straight tubing restriction. Depending on filter brand/quality you have likely increased restriction and hurt flow or you sacrificed filtering to gain flow (K&N etc). Opening up the inlet to the box would have been a better idea.

The best option is the stock box with dry flow filter or get a real dedicated CAI like S&B etc. They have larger filters and don't add bends to the intake for a reason.

zrock

Reaction score
It's your truck so do what you want but you haven't done anything good here and prob hurt performance and reliability. The stock filter has more filter area than your cone filter, you've added a hard 90 to the intake track which reduces flow and acts like 4ft of straight tubing restriction. Depending on filter brand/quality you have likely increased restriction and hurt flow or you sacrificed filtering to gain flow (K&N etc). Opening up the inlet to the box would have been a better idea.

The best option is the stock box with dry flow filter or get a real dedicated CAI like S&B etc. They have larger filters and don't add bends to the intake for a reason.
Ahhh here is some common sense.. Stock filters on 90% of the veh out their are more than enough for a stock and mild built engine... Only thing something like this does is give you more sound making you think you are getting better performance..

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I added the cone filter because I had good results with a similar install in my 2011 Ford Escape with the 3.0L V6. It greatly improved acceleration in that vehicle. I have not had any oil gunk issues with that install so I figured why not try it on the RAM? Since I did not cut holes in the airbox it would be a simple return to stock if I find there are issues as noted here. So I will monitor the entire setup, checking the the throttle body. All your comments are appreciated.
I can't speak to the Ford Escape as I have no experience with those. But I seriously doubt acceleration was improved on that vehicle simply by replacing the stock filter with a cone filter. More likely it changed the sound, which can make it seem faster (as mentioned already by CanuckRam1313). Butt dynos are notoriously inaccurate in measuring actual gain.

It's your truck. Feel free to modify it how you want. But it's good to know if you are actually seeing gains or losses before advising people to do the same mods in a forum environment. And not basing your opinions on whether if feels faster. Most aftermarket CAI's by themselves generally do not add any real performance unless they are replacing a highly restrictive factory intake. Most modern intake systems are not restrictive and pull in air from outside the engine bay (in other words, a CAI), and provide more than enough flow for a stock engine.

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 laramie 4x4 crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^^^^^
Agreed...stock cai is plenty(which reminds me i gotta check mine on this dam dirt road)..but as others have said.Your vehicle do what you want.you feel good at the end of the day...nothing wrong with that.
Doesnt k&n claim something like 5-15hp gain?
Ehhh,.....I don't care,Im not looking it up.
I aint buying into that voo-doo stuff.

Last edited:

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The main problem with the filters that require oiling (like K&N) is that the oil makes its way into the engine. Dave's Auto Center on Youtube recently did a video where a truck had a CAI. During the engine teardown he showed exactly what that oil does to components, such as the MAF sensor. No matter how hard you try, that oil makes its way into those parts and gunks them up over time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat