Earth magnets on oil filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
The oil that touches the sides has passed through the filter medium.

And that oil is moving.

Better to put the magnets on the oil pan and remove them before changing the oil.
Any filter i've ever seen, the unfiltered oil is fed to the outside of the filter/can then passes through the filter media and then out the big center hole. Unless you're running things backasswards from a standard filter,the unfiltered oil is against the can,and the magnets will attract the metal particles before they hit the filter media.
Why would you put magnets on the oil pan,instead of using a magnetic drain plug,magnetizing the oil pan still leaves a slight magnetic charge in the pan even after you remove the magnets,so magnetizing the drain plug is a way better option,as the particles stick to the drain plug ,instead of the oil pan,and can be easily removed when the plug is in your hand

Last edited:

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 laramie 4x4 crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Redline killed my hemi tick, as in wiped it out now going on year 15! My hemi wear was very high, triple that of other hemi's since new. And it is now on year 15 with no cam lifter issues, no hemi tick either. As for magnets, I put them on to see for myself if there was any wear in my oil, clearly I dont need magnets, clearly what they caught was low wear metals and low micron in size. I don't use them anymore, just did to see where I was at.

As for isn't redline supposed to be low wear, for one I don't know I stopped doing uoa's, and two HP oils are full of additives that create good wear. In theory wear should come down when you run out of sharp edges, maybe if I get another uoa we all would be surprised, I kinda moved on from caring. I fixed my hemi issue by using a lubrication strategy and I just don't care about the minutia, maybe I should, but I don't care. All I know is the engine is absolutely butter smooth. if I start caring again, i'll get a uoa, but for now every penny I can keep in my wallet I am keeping in my wallet.
My man!.....im all for not caring on an older engine/vehicle and keepin the cabbage in the wallet....I got that way on my last truck....it didn't die.
I tried all this magnet stuff on that truck,maybe it helped maybe it didnt..better for my piece of mind at that time when I did care though...still didn't die..
Bottom line I dont think it hurts anything doing it wherever you put it..i think it would help catch even the most micro sized particles if one wants to nit-pick what's in their oil.
Basically my way of thinking on this is that...how many zillions of vehicles/engines,motorcycles,lawnmowers,etc.etc all over this world that have been out there in say the last 100 years with the same lubrication/filter design settup?..seems to be working to me....
Can it be better? he// ya and it has been improved upon over the years im sure..
My .02 on the matter.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Can it be better? he// ya and it has been improved upon over the years im sure..
My .02 on the matter.
Chrysler went backwards when they moved the cam tunnel farther away from the crank,and stuck an oil passage under the cam,that restricts oil to the cam lobes. Tom Hoover worried to much about valve train geometery when they redesigned the block for VVT in 09,instead of worrying about keeping the cam alive in the average daily driver.Sure the valve train is good to 8,000 rpm,but the guys running a hemi above 7500 rpm,aren't even a drop in the bucket compared to the avarage daily driven hemi.

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 laramie 4x4 crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^^^^^^
Well ,ya theres that.......lol
I was kinda thinkin more along the lines of oil formulas and filter compositions...lol

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Anatomy_Oil_Filter_Flow.jpg

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
^^^^^^
Well ,ya theres that.......lol
I was kinda thinkin more along the lines of oil formulas and filter compositions...lol