Airtex Fuel Pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EvilSpirit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Fuel pump on my 96 5.9 Ram has been acting up for a while now - if it sits for more than 10 minutes it has to crank +/- 10 rolls before it starts, indicating an issue with the return valve in the unit. It will start right up if I cycle the key 4-5 times, which drives the automatic door lock cycle nuts. Pump time. With 180K on the clock (and probably 75% of that below 1/4 tank LOL), it's paid it's dues.

Not interested in the $65 economy Rock Auto specials, or spending $230 on an OEM - trying to get a decent midrange $100-125 unit. Airtex E7093M has good specs and a lifetime warranty - Summit lists them $115 to the door.

Anybody have good/bad luck with the Airtex pumps? Carter was my second choice, but the Airtex showed higher flow.

Hero6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I put an Airtex fuel pump in my 04 expedition about 75,000 miles ago, no issues. Just put one in my sons 97 Ram a few months back. Seems to be a good pump for the money, I would recommend.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
At my uncle's shop Airtex is the only pump he will install. He told me he's never had a problem with one and can't way that about any of the other brands.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Probably be fine with the Airtex. That being said, fuel pump jobs are one of the few I would rather hedge my bet and spend the extra coin for OEM parts.

dav8388

Reaction score
Ram Year
In limbo between trucks
Engine
3.6 pentastar
Y'all seem to have better luck with them than I have. I used to work at an independent shop I've seen airtex pumps come bad out of the box. Most would die soon after we installed them.

OP
OP
E

EvilSpirit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Only bad pump out of the box I ever got was a Spectre one for a 93 Caravan. I talked to a couple local shops and neither one of them had issues with Airtex, so I ordered one Wed. I'm on the advisory board for a local schools auto shop program, so in a few weeks I have access to "chimp labor" to lift the box off for easy access to the tank. Box was just off in spring for shackle and shock replacement, so all hardware is fresh and anti-seized. Of course, the pump wasn't acting up then LOL.

Thanks for the replies. Willie