Alfa OBD and 4 digit pin.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jammer24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
So I jumped on the wagon with alfaOBD and the mx+ on android. I attempted to program a new fob and it asked for the four digit pin. So I called the dealer and they told me they couldn't give it to me. Had to take my truck to them and pay them to do it. I was able to change tire size and TPMS thresholds with my autel ms906 with no issue. So i was able to go into the alfaobd and find a four digit pin. However when I tried that pin it didn't work. It said the key needed to be in the lock position. I would guess that the key just needed to be inserted in the position allowing you to pull the key out.....The one message said that I only had three attempts and something would be locked. second attempt was the same only i put the key in the run position. at this point I backed out and are looking to the pro's

Also I read the page or pages for setup of alfaobd and found I didn't have to do any of the settings it was showing in the setup instructions.

KSell5500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I attempted to program a new fob and it asked for the four digit pin. So I called the dealer and they told me they couldn't give it to me.
Same here.... 2019 5500
Everything I read was all about "it's so easy" "do it yourself" bla bla bla...

I haven't done it yet, because I live about an hour away from the dealer, but from what I understand with my situation is the dealer has a security code that even they have to enter to access specific settings. The dealer has to physically connect to the truck to gain access to the code. It's not something that can be provided over the phone.

All of this could be absolute garbage info that's being provided from the dealership, but I have yet to locate another workaround.

OP
OP
Jammer24

Jammer24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have not seen in any video someone entering anything more than one four digit code......I was able to get in with alfa and pull my trucks four digits. questions is......................is it the correct one? the other choice or default as I took it was 0000 if it didn't have one. Now I watched a video where a guy went in and pulled the pin with alfa......so I'm sure i'm in the right place......not sure this is why I'm reaching out.......thing is once we learn all this it will be easy for us.......ROTF

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I was able to get in with alfa and pull my trucks four digits. questions is......................is it the correct one?
AlfaOBD pulled the correct 4 digit code when I programmed a new fob for my '15.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I used a different app, Chrysler Pin Puller, cost a few bucks for the "tokens", but it worked first time. Same use, I was programming a tip key.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Everything I read was all about "it's so easy" "do it yourself" bla bla bla...

Because it is. :cool:

Alpha ODB gives you the 4 digit PIN you need. Unless they did sumthin different on the 5500s

OP
OP
Jammer24

Jammer24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The four digit pin I pulled didn't work for my programming. I tried did two different trucks...... How soon does the (three failed attempt lockout rest??)

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine pulls no pin at all. It fails.
This happened to me too on my buddies 2019 classic. Alfa couldn't pull it, I ended up going the pin puller app route. I think it has to do with updates they make to the app. Some options just stop working after updates in my experience. I have had to email the developer a few times with issues in the past such as the VGT calibration procedure being broken, speed limiter not working etc... Send the dev an email through the contact link in the app. He has always gotten back to me within a few days.

OP
OP
Jammer24

Jammer24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
AlfaOBD pulled the correct 4 digit code when I programmed a new fob for my '15.
Not sure what I did wrong if anything. I had no issue pulling the the pin. I scrolled down to read pin and there it was.....I guess i'm a little worried to try again until I find out when and if the (3 failed attempt lockout resets).
So just went to find the link for the fob's I purchased to realize I purchased the wrong ones. They only cover up to 2012. Not sure how I missed that...

ramtruckrob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just FYI, 2019+ years started using rolling 5 digit pins for programming key fobs. You guys with the newer trucks can no longer do it on your own.

Fselrahc

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I jumped on the wagon with alfaOBD and the mx+ on android. I attempted to program a new fob and it asked for the four digit pin. So I called the dealer and they told me they couldn't give it to me. Had to take my truck to them and pay them to do it. I was able to change tire size and TPMS thresholds with my autel ms906 with no issue. So i was able to go into the alfaobd and find a four digit pin. However when I tried that pin it didn't work. It said the key needed to be in the lock position. I would guess that the key just needed to be inserted in the position allowing you to pull the key out.....The one message said that I only had three attempts and something would be locked. second attempt was the same only i put the key in the run position. at this point I backed out and are looking to the pro's

Also I read the page or pages for setup of alfaobd and found I didn't have to do any of the settings it was showing in the setup instructions.
For what its worth...My dealership gave me the four digit pin without charge. They wouldn't do it over the phone, logically. I had to go into the dealership and show proof of ownership. Registration and DL.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357