Alfaobd and deep doodoo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Heatstud

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys, I’ve got a 2009 Laramie. It was low miles, but plenty if electrical challenges. The typical heated seat issues, leaking 3rd brakelight, and then just a few months ago, the TPMS low tire icon. It happened after a snow and a deep freeze and it was the rears (which got low due to the cold). Pumped everything up and still the icon.

Long story short, alfaobd to the rescue! Along with the obdlink MX in the socket. I tried to change the tire size, when I go to initialize ECM, it fails immediately and states “condition not correct or request sequence error. Plus, my truck is Canadian, so everything is in liters, so tried to change tank size, which says right now 292 liters and it win’t change. And trying to change it caused the fuel level to go to empty along with fuel level low warning. I know its long, but I’ve read enough threads in hear to know someone can help!

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Did you copy your settings in AlphaOBD before you started changing things? If so, reset to original to get back from worse to just bad. I also recommend you read through the entire AlphaOBD sticky thread to fully understand all that others have been through, you may find answers in there. At least search through it with key terms of your problems. There are a lot of knowledgeable, helpful people here but they do appreciate if someone takes the time to review all the work already done, especially if they know they answered the same issue more than once.

For example, there are at least 7 pages of results just by searching tire pressure.

OP
OP
H

Heatstud

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
thank you tron67j! I did as you said and searched alfaobd and tire size change. Good lord, there is a ton of info in here about it. My only problem is it hasn’t solved my issue no matter how I try to initialize the ECU it fails. I’m getting vehicle incompatibility error from some other change. I know where my changes where made and plan on changing them back and hope they “take”.

Let that be a lesson for us newbies!

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
My truck is newer than yours. But when I changed the tire size, I didn't do the initialize ECU. Wasn't needed. On newer trucks there is an issue, it won't take higher values, but for 2009 it should be fine.

Gas tank should be in Liters, no matter US or CA , at least newer ones, never did 2009.

Look for the country code. You should be able to change it to US, I forgot the exact location.

OP
OP
H

Heatstud

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was thinking I’d change it to US, but everything else I’m experiencing with the ABS codes, I wanted to limit. Weird thing is, I downloaded my VIN for my truck through something in this forum and it states a 32 gallon tank, but if that were true my mpg would be 4-5 mpg less. So I had seen where a 32 was an upgrade? So it says 24 gallons now, but still no fuel gauge and low fuel icon. So I’m going to put it back to 32 (in liters) and hopefully these items come back.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
So, I take it you did not save your original settings? Might try posting in the Alfa thread to see if anyone with your same truck (year, engines, options, etc) can see what their settings are for tire and tank size.

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
so tried to change tank size, which says right now 292 liters and it win’t change

So it says 24 gallons now, but still no fuel gauge and low fuel icon. So I’m going to put it back to 32 (in liters) and hopefully these items come back.

Isn't 292 liters somewhere around 75 gallons?

OP
OP
H

Heatstud

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So, something I’ve discovered beyond my OCD and ADD. When you change the tank size in liters, you have to add a period and 3 zeros. Example: 26 gallons is 98.000. That is what you enter. I downloaded my VIN today with the options and it says 32 gallons. So I entered 121.000, and whalah, my fuel gauge, battery gauge, and oil temp gauge came back and the low fuel icon went away. So I guess I’m glad it works now, I just have to live with it. And I don’t care which one it is! So, in my brain, I thought you had to add the .000 when you entered millimeters for tire size. Because I did that, it threw all of the ABS codes. When I removed the .000 and used 2720 only. Whalah! All lights turned off and it accepted the size. No initializations needed. Nowhere in everything I’ve read said to do what I did. Super simple, but it might be because I have a 2009, not newer. So, 2650 for my 275/60/20 tire puts me at dead on for speedo. Whew! Now! Get rid of the TPMI light! Yeehaaaaaaw!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357