Alignment question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burstingbb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you need to have your truck realigned after adding new wheels and tires?

Just had an alignment about a month ago

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
I replaced the OEM Goodyears with Nittos in the same size, and didn't do an alignment. I would say if you changed wheel and tire size, then yes, you'd need to get it aligned.

co-pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Im no professional but I would say if your front end is aligned then it is aligned ....no matter what tire or wheel you put on it...... just my thinking...

OP
OP
Burstingbb

Burstingbb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I replaced the OEM Goodyears with Nittos in the same size, and didn't do an alignment. I would say if you changed wheel and tire size, then yes, you'd need to get it aligned.

The only thing size wise that changed was the width. Once applied I will see how it sits

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
a post I came on online. mirrors another one from a guy who works for a tire shop:

One REALLY good reason to get an alignment when you purchase new tires (even if you don't think you need one) is because of the new tire warranty. New tires often have defect and "odd wear" warranties that cover the first 2/32" of tread, and a mileage warranty. These warranties may be much harder for you to collect on if you can't prove that your tires were properly cared for, which includes making sure the car is properly aligned. The tire installer also wants to prevent customers from coming back and complaining about odd wear on their tires, so it's well within their rights to refuse to sell you tires if you won't agree to an alignment.

Joshua Collins

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 & 2023
Engine
6.7 & 5.7
While the above post is a valid point. If it was literally a month ago when you had your alignment than there is no need for one. Ask the installer if they want to do an alignment check when they are installed for warranty purposes other than that i highly doubt your alignment being off unless you off road a lot or hit a lot of pot holes.

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
yeah its a question thats been on my mind lately too since i got my rims (but kept stock SRAs) i just had my alignment done 2 weeks ago when i got Billy's so be damned if i would get another one now. if all plays out as it should, i won't be buying tires eariler than March and will consider an alignment when i do. I agree with your thought Joshua. hell, i could only hope i prematurely wear out the SRAs to give me an excuse to get new shoes. lol.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
If your alignment is set correctly, the only thing that changes that is bent parts or worn parts. If parts are worn, it can't be correctly aligned. Most abnormal wear comes from improper tire pressure or lack of rotation.

Jbp19classic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If your alignment is set correctly, the only thing that changes that is bent parts or worn parts. If parts are worn, it can't be correctly aligned. Most abnormal wear comes from improper tire pressure or lack of rotation.
Maybe I’m not quite understanding your statement, but alignment settings can be thrown out of whack without anything being broken. Even though all the adjustment bolts are pretty tight, if you drive on s lot of rough roads or hit some big potholes it can knock things out of spec. Having said that, if your alignment is correct and your old tires aren’t showing any signs of abnormal wear then there’s really no reason to pay for an alignment with new tires.

OP
OP
Burstingbb

Burstingbb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Awesome, thanks for the input everyone. Ordered my wheels and tires last night while falling asleep, kind of forgot I did when I woke up. Should be in end of this week or early next

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
IMHO--an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. I've wasted more money than an alignment would cost on a lot stupider stuff. Piece of mind for me--but it's your money
Jay

OP
OP
Burstingbb

Burstingbb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
IMHO--an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. I've wasted more money than an alignment would cost on a lot stupider stuff. Piece of mind for me--but it's your money
Jay

Yeah, I prob will get the alignment checked once they are installed. N

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
Maybe I’m not quite understanding your statement, but alignment settings can be thrown out of whack without anything being broken. Even though all the adjustment bolts are pretty tight, if you drive on s lot of rough roads or hit some big potholes it can knock things out of spec. .

Read what i said again: "the only thing that changes that is bent parts or worn parts". Toe is adjusted by the tie rod ends. If the adjusters are tight and don't move, and the tie rod ends(a swivel or "ball joint") doesn't wear, and the tie rods themselves don't bend....How will the toe go out of spec?

Same for caster/camber...If those are adjusted using eccentric adjusters, and the ball joints don't wear and develop play, and the adjusters remain tight or the shims stay in place...How will that alignment go out of spec?

On most vehicles, the adjustment points NEVER come loose(Unless you own a 2500 :-( ) So, if the adjustment points don't come loose...and nothing wears out or bends....How does the alignment magically go out from where it was set?

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not sure on a ram but I have seen changing to wheels that stick out farther have an effect on Camber . I think it was on a twin traction beam ford a few years ago . I would just check your camber with a digital angle finder before installing and recheck after you swap tires and wheels and drive it some then recheck. Probably wont change much but this way you are not chancing your new tires on opinions this way you know for a fact what you need plus you will have a baseline to recheck at a later point in time . Their is normally quit a bit of tolerance with camber