Alignment question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi all, I have a 2018 crew cab SB 4x4 riding on LT275/65 20’s and Bilstein 5100’s set on 2.1. Below is the printout of my alignment from today. My wife picked up the truck and didn’t ask any questions. Any idea why my left front is out of spec? I’m a DIYer but don’t know much about alignments. I installed the 5100’s myself over two years ago and have had zero issues with them and previous alignments. My truck also has Mevotech UCAs and at 2.1 on the Bils the angles are near factory. I don’t want to sound like an idiot tomorrow when I go back to the tire shop to ask why. What should I ask and how can this spec be out?

Attachments

• IMG_1169.jpeg
    IMG_1169.jpeg
    116.9 KB · Views: 31

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
all you got in that alignment was a toe and go Special. They didn’t bother with the cam adjusters and because you have oe UCAs you may not have enough adjustment in your UCAs to fix both caster and camber. Your camber is not bad. It could be better though. You caster is in the lowish ok range. If they bring the driver side camber more closer to 0 the caster might go down because again the oe UCAs don’t have enough adjustment for a 2”+ lift. Aftermarket UCAs with built-in offset would give your alignment tech more freedom to adjust that geometry and bring in more caster with zero out camber and thus giving you better driveability and better tire life.

Last edited:

TotallyHucked

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport CCLWB
Engine
^Came to say exactly this. You probably won't have any weird wear or very little on the tires with that, but new UCAs with corrected ball joint angle should be on your list for sometime in the future.

OP
OP
Atcer2018

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
all you got in that alignment was a toe and go Special. They didn’t bother with the cam adjusters and because you have oe UCAs you may not have enough adjustment in your UCAs to fix both caster and camber. Your camber is not bad. It could be better though. You caster is in the lowish ok range. If they bring the driver side camber more closer to 0 the caster might go down because again the oe UCAs don’t have enough adjustment for a 2”+ lift. Aftermarket UCAs with built-in offset would give your alignment tech more freedom to adjust that geometry and bring in more caster with zero out camber and thus giving you better driveability and better tire life.
Thank you and TotallyHucked too. I laughed at the “toe and go” special, never heard of that saying but that’s exactly what I got. I went back the next day and asked the assistant manager if she could give me more information about the numbers. She got the tech that did the alignment and he tried to explain something about how the cross camber numbers were very good at the settings on the paper. Knowing very little about alignments I shrugged and the manager said I could bring it back in and they’d do it again. I’ll wait 5000 miles and take it back in for a tire rotation and alignment as I have a 5 year alignment contract. Let them rotate the 70 pound tires lol
I crawled under the truck and neither camber bolt has a mark on it. Both were dirty and the dirt hasn’t been moved. From my limited understanding both bolts appear to have a lot of adjustment remaining as far as the lobe sitting against the stop. As for the UCA’s they are not OEM, they are Mevotech’s which are drop forged with fitted ball joints which are clipped in not pressed like the OEM. Bilstein 5100’s are height adjustable via an adjustable spring seat not a puck spacer. The UCAs and ball joints are near level without any unusual wear on the tires which have been on the truck for 30k miles. Y’all hit the nail on the head, it was a crappy alignment.