All over the Road!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WhiteCitadel

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Ram 2500 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ve got a 2010 Power Wagon with 1” day star level, standard height suspension after that, have 35 nitto ridge grapplers, carli ball joints (1 yr old), spicer ujoints (1 week old), Thuren sway bar links (1 yr old), Mopar steering box (1 yr old), Bilstein 5100’s (1 yr) , and 4 different shops have supposedly completed an alignment over the past year. So what’s happening... when you drive down the road, any road, curvy, bumpy, straight. The truck saunters all over, but you don’t have to fight the steering, but you’re always correcting. If you have to make sudden merge you feel like you’re going roll over. Everything is tight underneath, so wondering if shocks are under sized? If springs should be replaced? At this point having difficulty trusting shops as it seems they want to replace and hope it works.... looking for some guidance from the experts. Thanks

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
Sway bar bushings? Stock Track bar?

Low_Sky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
You’re in a 2010 with an original front track bar? I’d wager a dollar that is shot. They’re wear items, not meant to last for ever.

There’s also a joint in the steering shaft with a rubber bushing in it (inside the dash/steering column). When the rubber breaks down it introduces a lot of play into the steering. EMF makes aluminum bushings you can press into it to tighten it up, but I’ve also heard they transmit a lot of noise from the power steering into the cab. I have a set that came with my EMF balljoints and I haven’t put them in yet, not sure I’m going to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
WhiteCitadel

WhiteCitadel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ve babied her pretty good. Only have 98,000 miles. I appreciate the feedback!

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
In just for info. I am pretty clueless when it comes to a solid front axle, but I’m very interested since 2018 and 2019 jeep wranglers have had wandering steering and dead spots in the steering wheel

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
In just for info. I am pretty clueless when it comes to a solid front axle, but I’m very interested since 2018 and 2019 jeep wranglers have had wandering steering and dead spots in the steering wheel
Solid front axles are a whole nother animal feeling wise. Strong reliable and proven. But simple and reliable lol. Like the best and the worst haha. Love solid front axles

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Solid front axles are a whole nother animal feeling wise. Strong reliable and proven. But simple and reliable lol. Like the best and the worst haha. Love solid front axles
Honestly I have gotten used to it and don’t feel I have the “real” problems that people have had with 2018’s but any opportunity to lean about the whole system I will jump in on

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds to me like an issue with either your steering gear box or the shaft like low_sky was saying.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Moparfanatic21

U.S. Marine Vet - 0321, Now a Doctor...of Vehicles
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wonder if the assignment specs are wrong in their machines? You do need some toe to counter the curve in the road.

Hydraplane

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’ve got a 2010 Power Wagon with 1” day star level, standard height suspension after that, have 35 nitto ridge grapplers, carli ball joints (1 yr old), spicer ujoints (1 week old), Thuren sway bar links (1 yr old), Mopar steering box (1 yr old), Bilstein 5100’s (1 yr) , and 4 different shops have supposedly completed an alignment over the past year. So what’s happening... when you drive down the road, any road, curvy, bumpy, straight. The truck saunters all over, but you don’t have to fight the steering, but you’re always correcting. If you have to make sudden merge you feel like you’re going roll over. Everything is tight underneath, so wondering if shocks are under sized? If springs should be replaced? At this point having difficulty trusting shops as it seems they want to replace and hope it works.... looking for some guidance from the experts. Thanks
I just want to ask a few questions.
1-How long have you owned the truck?
2-Did you ever drive it stock with NO mods?
3-Are you running stock wheels? If not, what is their offset.
4-When you say the truck is all over the place do you mean like a drift, bump steer or a side to side roll, kinda like you don't have a sway bar at all?
5-Did you get the printed results of your last alignment?
STU

OP
OP
WhiteCitadel

WhiteCitadel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the questions,
- I purchased the truck almost 3 years ago with 57k on it.
- Most mods were completed before I took possession. It had 33’s and I went to 35’s.
- wheels were on there already -12 mm offset
- kinda like you don’t have a sway bar
- don’t have the results of the last alignment

Hydraplane

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok concerning the sway bar, I would first determine if it is actually "connected", there may be other suggestions out there... use a paint pen or magic marker and make a reference line on where the bar enters the disconnect and the bar on both sides. This should give a visual reference of movement. Jack one side of the front axle near the knuckle and look at your reference marks. If not still aligned, you may have a problem inside the disconnect mechanism. I know my TJ behaves badly on the street with the sway bar disconnected... If that is not the problem you would need to look at your mods from stock and figure out what is happening. The best way I can think of is a 4 wheel alignment at a shop with the latest optical equipment. You want to get a printed record of it. Before and after if they make adjustments. Be sure they include the actual readings not just "red, yellow and green". Some mods can magnify drivability issues when combined with others...

OP
OP
WhiteCitadel

WhiteCitadel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I appreciate the suggestion. I will let you know what I find out. Thanks!

Mike Murphy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Deleted
Engine
Deleted
First thought would be sway bar or sway bar links (bushings) as they keep the vehicle from rolling. Caster keeps the vehicle from wondering and returns the wheel to center after turning on its own. It sounds like the alignment has already been done. Torsion bars and coils are for bounce (up) and shocks are for rebound (down).

I was in Kentucky a couple weeks ago for SkillsUSA, the students placed 11th for the nation. Awesome place, I really enjoyed the crawfish and gator tail.

Nickx86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I appreciate the suggestion. I will let you know what I find out. Thanks!

Any updates what’s going on with your truck?

By some chance have you looked into a bad tie rod end or steering linkage. My old Jeep had a bad pitman arm tie rod and it would exhibit similar symptoms

OP
OP
WhiteCitadel

WhiteCitadel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry no update yet, still waiting to get some time in the shop. Been on the road quite a bit with work. May be a few weeks. Can’t thank y’all enough for the suggestions. I will definitely keep everyone up to date!