ALTERNATOR NOT CHARGING NEED HELP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Anthony Lowry

Anthony Lowry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Really appreciate all the help guys I would have never figured any of this out. Big thanks and if y’all are ever in Houston I’ll have a beer waiting for you

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
I don't think the fuse is 3 prong it probly just grabs power off the same circuit. Tipm modules also do weird things with the power so I wouldn't doubt it has something to do with that. Git er dun. [emoji23] Need any more help well be here.

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
The 3 prong fuse is probably either a relay or circuit breaker of some sort. Glad you were able to figure out the issue. I think I have a project late next year in Houston. Too bad it’s too far to drive my truck down since I live in Chicago. That would cost me a few winning lottery tickets for that much gas. Lol

michael harpe

U.S. Army 2001-2014
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 hemi
The mechanic in me liked reading this. Props to everyone for helping the OP. Now if the rest of the world could be so forthcoming with knowledge and considerate... maybe we wouldn't be going down to [emoji90][emoji90][emoji90]

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
He believes it’s his ECU (the engine control unit). Some people call it the PCM as well. It has the regulator controller for the alternator built into it. Try some of the wiring checks in it as that’s what gave him the final answer.

OP
OP
Anthony Lowry

Anthony Lowry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah I’ve narrowed it down to being 99% sure it’s the pcm. You can read through and see everything I tested (thanks to all the suggestions) to rule stuff out. Then running the wire from battery to Alternator field control wire to check if it begins charging and it should mean pcm is bad. I ordered a new one from carcomputerexchange.com great reviews and they program it for your truck so you won’t have to take it to the dealer. Cost about $260 with shipping and it has lifetime warranty once you ship back your computer (return label included) mine will be here hopefully Wednesday so i guess we’ll see if that is it.

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Good luck! Glad you’ve been to narrow it down to the point where you’re pretty positive on what it is. I’ll cross my fingers on Wednesday for you.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow you guys got your noggins together to help out the young OP, we've all been there, I'm very fortunate to of joined this Ram Forum one thing I can add is make sure all of your Grounds are good esp. the battery neg cable connection and the cable itself and any connectors that are hit by water, clean with CRC contact cleaner and put die electric grease on the connection, and zip tie it out of the way I hope its the ECM as well

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Hey just wondering if you're all figured out up and running now? Did u find a broken wire or end up taking power from a switched source?

OP
OP
Anthony Lowry

Anthony Lowry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don’t want to run a constant wire to the alternator control out of fear of burning something up or over charging the battery. And I can’t find a good external regulator that I can just pick up in store so I’m waiting on the pcm to be delivered. My mom went on vacation so I’m in her challenger for now. Only catch is I have to help install the headers she just bought.

jlilnc14

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4l
did you check the 230 amp alternator fuse on the end of the red terminal?

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
did you check the 230 amp alternator fuse on the end of the red terminal?
It's not the main battery to alternator. it's the exciter wire that goes to the field windings.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I don’t want to run a constant wire to the alternator control out of fear of burning something up or over charging the battery. And I can’t find a good external regulator that I can just pick up in store so I’m waiting on the pcm to be delivered. My mom went on vacation so I’m in her challenger for now. Only catch is I have to help install the headers she just bought.

Allow yourself lots of time,and buy some flexible Gear Wrenches to do the headers on your Moms Challenger.I just put 6.4 manifolds and mid pipes on my wifes 5.7 Challenger,and trust me there's a few of the bolts that are a bit nasty to get at,nasty enough I told the wife that's all she's getting,as i'm not going through that battle again to install long tubes once it's off warrenty,lol.

OP
OP
Anthony Lowry

Anthony Lowry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Allow yourself lots of time,and buy some flexible Gear Wrenches to do the headers on your Moms Challenger.I just put 6.4 manifolds and mid pipes on my wifes 5.7 Challenger,and trust me there's a few of the bolts that are a bit nasty to get at,nasty enough I told the wife that's all she's getting,as i'm not going through that battle again to install long tubes once it's off warrenty,lol.
Don’t want to get too off track but yeah. Once she’s back we’re going to rent a hoist. Pop the exhaust off then hoist the engine up a little to pull the headers. That’s the plan at least. But got to figure out this alternator issue first. Gonna call the computer place today and see about getting it expedited if it hasn’t shipped yet.

OP
OP
Anthony Lowry

Anthony Lowry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So if anyone is still following this I’m still waiting on the computer. I was expecting it Wednesday but it has turned into a hot mess and will now be here some time today or tomorrow. If this isn’t the issue then I’m at a complete loss. I’ve checked all the grounds and ran continuity test on I’m pretty sure every wire having to do with this system as well as the fusible link.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Don't stress my friend. I will instruct you how to fun a key on fused hot wire if it comes to it.

OP
OP
Anthony Lowry

Anthony Lowry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Update new computer is in truck is working perfectly fine idles still 14.1v not sure if that’s too high but it runs and drives fine now

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
That's perfect!!! Glad it worked.