Amazing this thing still runs.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jessyj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Bought this 98 5.9 gasser a month ago, changed the oil and filter then did a 500 mile road trip. Stopped for gas at 250 miles but it was so cold and windy I didn,t check the oil. Got to my destination and checked the oil the next day. Horror, no oil on the stick. No leaks under the truck either. Topped it up with 4 quarts. So I,m thinking the plenum has failed for sure. I,m amazed that it didn,t blow up. Drove it home all the way adding oil on the way. Now I have a job again. It,s feels so good to be usefull again. HAHA.

Reactions: Mop

Nysm1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Bought this 98 5.9 gasser a month ago, changed the oil and filter then did a 500 mile road trip. Stopped for gas at 250 miles but it was so cold and windy I didn,t check the oil. Got to my destination and checked the oil the next day. Horror, no oil on the stick. No leaks under the truck either. Topped it up with 4 quarts. So I,m thinking the plenum has failed for sure. I,m amazed that it didn,t blow up. Drove it home all the way adding oil on the way. Now I have a job again. It,s feels so good to be usefull again. HAHA.
How many miles does it have?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Nysm1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
It only has 130000 miles on it.
Take the air cleaner off and see if there is a massive amount of oil in the intake... thats a massive amount of oil being consumed

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
My truck used to burn half a quart of oil every ~100 miles when my intake plenum went. I still remember the big cloud of blue smoke that would always belch out whenever I started the engine while it was hot. New spark plugs never made it a year before they fouled and I amassed quite the collection. Every day during the drive home from work, I'd ask myself "hmm, which cylinder is going to throw a misfire code today?" Those were...dark days, LOL.

Nysm1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
My truck used to burn half a quart of oil every ~100 miles when my intake plenum went. I still remember the big cloud of blue smoke that would always belch out whenever I started the engine while it was hot. New spark plugs never made it a year before they fouled and I amassed quite the collection. Every day during the drive home from work, I'd ask myself "hmm, which cylinder is going to throw a misfire code today?" Those were...dark days, LOL.
My trucks plunum was welded and pressure tested, which fixed my oil consumption issue until recently when my misfire started up again. Now I've found a series of small cracks throughout the stock heads

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Old trucks with low miles are suspect of having stuck rings.

One thing you may consider doing is a crankcase cleaning. Im a very big fan of Marvel Mystery oil and it's nack for getting stuck rings unstuck. Do an oil change with a good quality synthetic. Put your 5 quarts in and add a quart of the MMO. You'll be a quart over filled but the filter will take 1/2 quart and burning oil like it is, you won't be that remaining 1/2qt over for long at all. I run it for about 500 miles and change the oil and filter again.

Similar to the seafoam treatments some guys like or the old school atf treatment. MMO is just better. More lubricity and stronger detergents