Could a bad thermostat cause this?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deviate

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 4x2
Engine
I've had an issue where when I first crank up on cooler mornings and take off, when I come to my first stop before the truck is warmed up good, it will try to stall and sometimes actually does stall. It cranks back up just fine. Then Saturday after this happened I was driving on and I get a Check Gauges ding and see my temp gauge is over to hot. I immediately pulled over and shut off the engine. Checked everything...the coolant reservoir is full, no leaks anywhere even the radiator cap feels cool. Get in and crank it up again and the temp is back to normal and has been that way ever since.

So, wondering if the thermostat has just been going bad. I know that could cause the overheating thing, but could it have anything to do with the stalling? I've cleaned my throttle body, changed the spark plugs and oil recently. I need to get a voltmeter so I can check my TPS I guess. Any other ideas?

zack

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2004.5 packing the smarty
Engine
5.9 cummins ho
its only 20 bucks change it out to a jet 180

05singlecabHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
If the radiator cap was cool and it was over heating it has to the the tstat. And if you go with a 180tstat i recomend the Jet brand. Most of the other brands you have to make your own air bleed or somthing lime that. So ive heard.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
The rad being cool is deff pointing to the T-stat.

OP
OP
Deviate

Deviate

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 4x2
Engine
Can I get a Jet 180* t-stat at Napa or Advance Auto? If so, does anyone happen to have a part number for it?

TexasRammer

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
im not sure if they sell it, i never checked in stores because their website didnt have it. i bought mine online for pretty cheap