AMP vs Go Rhino Power Running Boards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pudge

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Power Wagon 75th
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Has anyone thoughts on the Go Rhino Power Running Boards? It looks like fewer installs, but I'm wondering if anyone out their has them and can provide a review for me. I'm looking at the AMPs, but would like a little more info on the Go Rhinos.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
We offer both AMP and GoRhino. This is a newer product so we have yet to sell the GoRhinos. We have sold a ton of the AMPs. We can offer you either one. Please message me if you would like a quote

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
You should also look at Aries power steps. I installed them on my 2500. It gives you 2 steps, which the wife needed before and after her hip replacement.

mvmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
hey pudge i got a set of electric running boards from rough country nice solid product price point is a little lower than the amp steps have had them on now for about 6 months no issues or problems

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I haven't heard a lot about the Aries ones. The little we have heard is that the lights fail very early on

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
I haven't heard a lot about the Aries ones. The little we have heard is that the lights fail very early on
That is correct. Mine lasted a couple months. But i bought some green led strip lights to replace and they are much better.
The steps themselves have been flawless for almost 3 years.

OP
OP
Pudge

Pudge

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Power Wagon 75th
Engine
Hemi 6.4
hey pudge i got a set of electric running boards from rough country nice solid product price point is a little lower than the amp steps have had them on now for about 6 months no issues or problems

Those look pretty good. Are they connected into the odb port like the AMP? Or like the Go Rhino which uses switches behind The doors?

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Those look pretty good. Are they connected into the odb port like the AMP? Or like the Go Rhino which uses switches behind The doors?
you add door switch sensors. We offer that brand as well so when you decide on which ones you want shoot me a message

mvmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
hi pudge the rc boards are wired to the battery with a switch inside the cab that i mounted to the right of my steering wheel out of the way its not wired to the obd port it has magnets installed at the lower door sills that activate the boards when you open up the door work great and have not had any issues

Tohopko

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2006, 2019
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've used AMPs on two vehicles, but they were both manually wired vs the OBD interface. Comparing the AMPs, GoRhino, and Rough Country now. AMP uses the OBD interface, which means you need a splitter to keep an open OBD. AMP also uses a single powered arm on each side. My previous experience demonstrated that they have to be perfectly aligned, or you will get a "walking" effect as the board comes up, and it may not come up completely flush in the rear.

GoRhino and Rough Country both seem to be almost exactly the same setup (dual motors and magnet sensors), with differences in the wire routing and magnet placement. Rough Country seems to have a little better security on the blind nut plates with the rivet attachment than GoRhino, but the kits seem damned similar. Trying to wrap my head around what seems to be a gross price difference between these two, but I do think I prefer the dual motor and non-OBD interface over the AMP system, despite having great experiences with hard wired AMPs.

Last edited:

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
You should also look at Aries power steps. I installed them on my 2500. It gives you 2 steps, which the wife needed before and after her hip replacement.
The 2 steps caught my eye, I'm looking for a better solution than the factory boards on my 3500. When I saw the price tag it damn near sent me to the ER. They look nice but aren't in the budget :(

OP
OP
Pudge

Pudge

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Power Wagon 75th
Engine
Hemi 6.4

They would be handy for my wife, grandkids, etc, but I prefer the disappearance effect of the AMP and Go Rhino.

2wheelsor4

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I installed Rough Country E-Boards and mostly installed AMP on my 2023 Rebel 6.4. Rough country hardware is easier to install and feels much more robust than AMP, I really like having 2 motors per board vs the one that we get with AMP. The blind nut design with RC is much easier to use than AMP's rivnut. The wiring with AMP is probably easier but I did not get that far due to AMP advertising that their boards are compatible with 2023 Factory Air Suspension vehicles if you use their bracket kit, they are not. The instructions with RC are horrible, AMP's are ok. It took me some time to get the wiring the way I like it with the RC boards but by lifting the weather stripping on the door and running the wires under it I was able to get a clean install and I never notice the magnet switches.

Things I wish RC did that AMP does- the AMP manual switch controls in/out/auto, the RC switch is only In/Auto.
The AMP boards have a 2 second delay before going in, I wish AMP did this. I will close the back door after my daughter climbs in and then open my front door, it is SLIGHTLY annoying that the boards go in and back out again during this process.

If you have a 6.7 then I believe you can get 2 motor boards from AMP but they will cost about 2x the AMP boards.

I did business with Nick@GotExhaust and he was great to work with.

If you go AMP, I have the switch that I can sell you cheaper than you can buy it elsewhere; I was not required to return it with my boards when I sent them back.

truck2014

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Has anyone thoughts on the Go Rhino Power Running Boards? It looks like fewer installs, but I'm wondering if anyone out their has them and can provide a review for me. I'm looking at the AMPs, but would like a little more info on the Go Rhinos.
Can’t speak for any other brand but Amps, but my son , and I both have run them for years without one issue . I see it mentioned on one of the replies about not folding back up even , have no idea what that’s all about, nothing remotely close. I bet I’ve watched those steps hundreds of times go up , and down , and about smooth , and even as you could ask for .

In conclusion I can’t find a reason to change brands . Without knowing I would think prices are pretty competitive, I probably would not get hung up on prices unless it was pretty significant.

To the OP , all I can tell you is pick a brand, IMO you COULD have issues with any of them , I suppose mine could have issues , but so far so good . I do know you don’t hear any real bad mouthing with Amps , other than that previous post about them not folding up even , that’s a first I’ve seen about that . I sorta get a kick out of the two motor versus one . I think that would come down to comparing the power of one motor to the power of the two combined , and of course how stout the arms are , without comparing, and seeing the max weight allowed on the steps , I think again that is insignificant if there’s not a great difference, but as said I sure have compared them , nor do I care . I just know how well my Amps have performed, and when the time comes to put them on a new truck I would without hesitation. I say all this because it’s been asked , and I didn’t have anything better to do right now . :D

Danny Phillips

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have a 2015 2500 I bought new and had the AMP steps installed then 8 years later they are still going strong. I like the fact that if you don't shut the door all the way, The steps stay down.

truck2014

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I've used AMPs on two vehicles, but they were both manually wired vs the OBD interface. Comparing the AMPs, GoRhino, and Rough Country now. AMP uses the OBD interface, which means you need a splitter to keep an open OBD. AMP also uses a single powered arm on each side. My previous experience demonstrated that they have to be perfectly aligned, or you will get a "walking" effect as the board comes up, and it may not come up completely flush in the rear.

GoRhino and Rough Country both seem to be almost exactly the same setup (dual motors and magnet sensors), with differences in the wire routing and magnet placement. Rough Country seems to have a little better security on the blind nut plates with the rivet attachment than GoRhino, but the kits seem damned similar. Trying to wrap my head around what seems to be a gross price difference between these two, but I do think I prefer the dual motor and non-OBD interface over the AMP system, despite having great experiences with hard wired AMPs.
Completely flush in the rear , something I’ve not seen in the few Amp
Installations I’ve been around . Two motors versus one , you prefer two , any big reason , other than the walking effect you claim , which I haven’t experienced, nor seen as said on others ? I can’t think of one reason just having one instead of two , and the flawless experience I’ve had with Amps .

truck2014

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have a 2015 2500 I bought new and had the AMP steps installed then 8 years later they are still going strong. I like the fact that if you don't shut the door all the way, The steps stay down.
Same experience here , and also my sons .

2Tallguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 diesel
AMP's are a quality product.

OP
OP
Pudge

Pudge

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Power Wagon 75th
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The guys at my truck accessory shop said they have noticed the two motor ones are a lot snappier coming in and out, be they the extreme AMPs or Go Rhino. Also, if one motor fails, you’re still in business, and risk of failure is a little higher in colder climates, where I am.

I’m going to go with the Rhino’s and I’ll post my thoughts after I get them on and using them for a bit. Thanks for all the input everyone!

LemmysDad

Chairman of the bored.
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 RAM Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The 2 steps caught my eye, I'm looking for a better solution than the factory boards on my 3500. When I saw the price tag it damn near sent me to the ER. They look nice but aren't in the budget :(
In Canada (not sure if it’s the same in the US) RAM offers a rebate to have running boards installed if you have a note from your doc stating some type of impairment ie back, knees, etc. I believe it was up to $700 CDN. I’m not sure if it applies to the power running boards, but if it does it might knock some $$ off the price. Might be worth asking the dealer. I’ve had both sets installed gratis on my 18 Sport and 22 Rebel. They were the standard type but nonetheless I was zero beaver bucks out of pocket. Only cost me a trip to the doc.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat