What grease/lube for power running boards?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MSDelta

Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Etorque
I am really loving the power running boards on my new Laramie coming from my 2016 Laramie. I want to keep them functioning well and know that they need some periodic lubing/grease on the friction points. What are your recommendations? The more details the better. I live in the southeast and don’t have to deal with icing and corrosive road treatments, but would like something that will hang in there and keep them functioning smoothly. Appreciate your advice!

DanAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Not sure what would be recommended but I like TriFlow for stuff like this. Kroil penetrating oil would be another option.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I am really loving the power running boards on my new Laramie coming from my 2016 Laramie. I want to keep them functioning well and know that they need some periodic lubing/grease on the friction points. What are your recommendations? The more details the better. I live in the southeast and don’t have to deal with icing and corrosive road treatments, but would like something that will hang in there and keep them functioning smoothly. Appreciate your advice!
The owner's manual does not mention any type of maintenance on the power running boards unless I'm missing it. I've not heard anyone posting about using any lubricant on the friction points. Mine have made it through two winters without any issues. I don't think there is a need to lubricate them. Adding a lubricant could cause premature wearing by attracting dust and dirt acting as an abrasive inside the swivel points.

I do live in a climate that offers corrosive road treatments both for snow and ice and calcium chloride as dust control on the dirt roads I live off of. When I wash my truck, I use the pressure sprayer to clean the pivoting joints of the side boards as well as the rear deployable bed step.

brian42

Military
Reaction score
Installed AMP Research power boards on one of my dad's trucks many, many years ago. Several years in one of the boards was binding and the motor would stop retracting due to the resistance.

We tried several lubricants (WD-40, lithium grease, etc.) but were only temporary fixes. Some of them collected dirt defeating the purpose.

I think we finally settled on a spray wax that is used for cycle chains (motorcycle/bicycle) as it lubes and keeps the dirt out after it dries. We'd only do it a couple of times a year after we started using it. Unfortunately I don't remember the brand.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MSDelta

MSDelta

Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Etorque
Good input everybody-thanks! Yes, the more I think about it some type of dry lube would be best if anything as they are in an area that would attract a good bit of road grit and sand. I will admit that I haven’t looked that closely at them to see if there are any type of bushings or spacers that reduce the friction and wear.

Longhorn1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Longhorn
Engine
Cummins SO
Someone on a forum (not sure if it was this one) recommended silicon spray lubricant, they said that they spray some on the pivot points after every wash. For my new to me '19, I sprayed them with silicone the first time a week ago. We'll see how it works.

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I know there is a dry spray on type graphite lube we used to use on our snowmobile clutches. Comet clutches? That dries and wouldn't attract dirt.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Someone on a forum (not sure if it was this one) recommended silicon spray lubricant, they said that they spray some on the pivot points after every wash. For my new to me '19, I sprayed them with silicone the first time a week ago. We'll see how it works.
What is this thing called "wash" of which you speak. Mine gets that when it rains.

DodgeDude99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I had installed Bestop boards on my ‘14 when I first got it. I mentioned the linkages sticking to Bestop, they recommended silicone spray.

I live in Chicagoland and was replacing the linkages once a year.

lgjhn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I've had the Amp Research ones on 3 different Rams....and love em (so does my wife).
FWIW, and IMHO, they're in a location to take a beating....lubrication-wise (heavy use, relatively low to the ground, pounded by road dirt/debris etc.)
On all three trucks, I put mud flaps on to help protect em somewhat.
I always give my pivot points just a very light spray of 3-IN-1 garage door lubricant, usually after I washed the truck, or IF they appeared to start binding a little.
I guess some silicon spray would also work just as well.
Regardless of what one decides to use, it's gonna take re-application over time just due to their location and use, but that's a small price to pay when compared to their convenience.

VOwens

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have AMP's on my 2017 Ram. They do take a beating down there. I had one stop working once, but a good cleaning with the hose took care of the problem. I'll try some regular lube as recommended and see if that helps. Thanks for everyone that commented here.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
That was me. Almost three years, we see a lot of winter and heavy salt use, still lubing after every wash, still working top notch. Big advantage to silicone is it does not degrade rubber or plastic, nor does it mess with electrical connections.
1710177783106.jpeg

1710177965933.jpeg

Last edited:

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have had mine going strong for over 10 years (knock on wood). I've always sprayed the bushings with silicone spray on a regular basis (I think I had seen that in a maintenance section for them at one point), especially before the winter as I'm on the east coast and they salt the **** out of everything. The motors are coated with undercoating as well to keep any potential moisture out

howie12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6 gas
Mine is a 2020 LAramie Longhorn in Northern Wisconsin and I haven't used anything to lube them. I hear no noise or squeaking and assumed lube was not necessary. AS previously mentioned the book mentions nothing that I have seen. If I were to use something I would use the wet silicone that dries dry and not sticky. Seems like the last you want is anything to attract and hold the fine road dust to grind things up. I expect that is why they mention nothing about lubrication.

Danny Phillips

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Tri flow is one of the best oils out there. The Mooney airplane factory tested it against WD 40, 3 in one oil and tri flow. They sprayed 3 identical Heim joints with each oil and set them out back for 3 years. I went to the Mooney maintenance service school at the factory and was a Mooney mechanic for 11 years. Only the tri flow joint was free. the others were frozen solid. I gave a can to a fisherman at Eagle Lake when his outboard motor went overboard while it was running. I told him to pull the spark plug out and get as much water out as possible and spray the cylinder down with tri flow. It started right up. He was totally flabbergasted. Oh, Triflow does not attract dirt/dust.

OP
OP
MSDelta

MSDelta

Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Etorque
Thanks, my dad had a M20(don’t remember the variant) back in the late 60’s to early 70’s. Lots of good memories from my childhood flying around the country.

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab old/ now 2019 Laramie Hemi
Engine
eco diesel old / now Hemi missing the eco's mileage
A dry spray powdered graphite would be my go to. Anything that attracts and holds dirt and dust will cause issues.

CRC® Dry Graphite Lube​

Ideal where a dry lubricant is required or where petroleum products must be avoided. Resists dirt, dust and oil build-up. Wide effective temperature range

Joseph Godvin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would recommend " Motor-Kote" spray, as it is a hyper lubricant and is absorbed into the metal parts, which resits moisture to prevent rusting.