Android Auto Now Messes with UConnect Stereo Volume Control

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
2018 Big Horn with stock six speaker 8.4 UConnect.

(BTW, this is not the usually reported problem with the Google Assistant voice being unusually loud and unable to be reduced in volume.)

I had occasion to use Android Auto recently after a couple of months of not needing to use it. Up until now it has worked as advertised. However, when I use it now, when Android Auto turns on it hijacks the stereo's controls. The stereo's volume control is either muted or else the volume level is frozen at whatever setting it was at before AA was engaged. Turning the volume control has no effect. Another time I had volume control working but only had the right audio channel, no left channel. I also noticed when any of these symptoms appear when AA is engaged, my graphic equalizer is set to flat tone control and cannot be altered and the balance/fader control is unresponsive. Basically when AA is engaged the stereo volume and other controls are not working. I am able to change input sources, that is, I can switch between FM, AM, and USB inputs.

Things I've tried to fix it:
* Swapped USB cables
* Swapped USB ports
* Removed USB flash drive (music) from USB port
* Uninstalled/reinstalled Android Auto
* Checked and confirmed proper settings in AA.
* Power cycled my phone off/on.

I found a workaround though. If I tap on the Google Assistant microphone icon in the lower right hand corner of the AA touch screen and then tap anywhere on the touchscreen I regain control of the volume (and all other stereo controls.) So, apparently engaging Google Assistant resets something internally which enables the stereo to be controlled by the user.

Anyone else experience this loss of control of the stereo when using Android Auto?

Any explanation as to why this is happening?

I did have the battery replaced about 3 weeks ago but don't see how that could cause this problem.

Is it possible an update to Android Auto caused the problem?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
2018 Big Horn with stock six speaker 8.4 UConnect.

(BTW, this is not the usually reported problem with the Google Assistant voice being unusually loud and unable to be reduced in volume.)

I had occasion to use Android Auto recently after a couple of months of not needing to use it. Up until now it has worked as advertised. However, when I use it now, when Android Auto turns on it hijacks the stereo's controls. The stereo's volume control is either muted or else the volume level is frozen at whatever setting it was at before AA was engaged. Turning the volume control has no effect. Another time I had volume control working but only had the right audio channel, no left channel. I also noticed when any of these symptoms appear when AA is engaged, my graphic equalizer is set to flat tone control and cannot be altered and the balance/fader control is unresponsive. Basically when AA is engaged the stereo volume and other controls are not working. I am able to change input sources, that is, I can switch between FM, AM, and USB inputs.

Things I've tried to fix it:
* Swapped USB cables
* Swapped USB ports
* Removed USB flash drive (music) from USB port
* Uninstalled/reinstalled Android Auto
* Checked and confirmed proper settings in AA.
* Power cycled my phone off/on.

I found a workaround though. If I tap on the Google Assistant microphone icon in the lower right hand corner of the AA touch screen and then tap anywhere on the touchscreen I regain control of the volume (and all other stereo controls.) So, apparently engaging Google Assistant resets something internally which enables the stereo to be controlled by the user.

Anyone else experience this loss of control of the stereo when using Android Auto?

Any explanation as to why this is happening?

I did have the battery replaced about 3 weeks ago but don't see how that could cause this problem.

Is it possible an update to Android Auto caused the problem?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

The flat equalizer means a audible notification overlay is playing (or trying to play). That would account for a few (all?) of the symptoms you described. Your workaround falls in line with this too.

Edit: updates to AA frequently cause problems like this.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
PowrRam

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
The flat equalizer means a audible notification overlay is playing (or trying to play). That would account for a few (all?) of the symptoms you described. Your workaround falls in line with this too.

Edit: updates to AA frequently cause problems like this.

What kind of an audible notification? Because I wasn't getting notifications when it hijacked my volume control. If I were to get into my truck right now, certain I didn't have any notifications, start it, plug in my phone to the USB cable (which auto starts Android Auto) it would hijack my stereo volume and EQ settings. Only after I do my workaround does AA function as normal.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
What kind of an audible notification? Because I wasn't getting notifications when it hijacked my volume control. If I were to get into my truck right now, certain I didn't have any notifications, start it, plug in my phone to the USB cable (which auto starts Android Auto) it would hijack my stereo volume and EQ settings. Only after I do my workaround does AA function as normal.
It could be an error in any app on your phone but I'd start with uninstalling and reinstalling AA. If the play store version doesn't fix it. I'd try to use the latest AA apk file to install AA. A beta version is likely available or conversely you can go back to an earlier version of AA.

If that doesn't work, try disabling Google Assistant completely to see if that removes your inaudible (audible) notification issue.

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Yup, might be a problem update to the AA app. I had to pull the fuse by the brake booster today.

Just checked and there was an update to AA yesterday.

OP
OP
PowrRam

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
I tried using Android Auto today and it worked as it should. It seems everything is back to normal. Weird.