ANDROID Head Unit Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dr. Righteous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
GREETING..........
The pure ANDROID powered head units are a great value if you really do not desire CD/DVD playback. A descent unit is about $200. I install this unit last week and am overall all very impress with the features and performance. Sound quality is better then the factory unit it replaced. When you start the truck the unit comes on in a few seconds. If you are thinking this is a good direction for your truck this is what you will need:

I just wanted to show how easy the process is and let you know what you need to make this work smoothly.
My Ram is a 2014 Express with none of the extra options of audio or navigation, etc. Just the plain jane radio/XMsat.

The head unit I purchased was the ATOTO A6 (model A6Y2721PB). I paid $230 at Amazon. The base model of this unit is $199 and the main difference is it only has 1 GB of RAM.

You will need 4 other parts. (prices what I paid on Amazon)
METRA double din bezel. 95-6518B $11
METRA Antenna adapter 40-EU55 $10
METRA wiring harness AX-ADXSVI-CH3 $15
METRA Axcess AX-ADXSVI canbus interface $38

NOTE: it is possible to install this unit WITHOUT the canbus interface but I do not recommend it. It will require more difficult wiring and you will loose all the "smart power" features that the stock unit had.

The installation of this is about as straight forward as you can get. It is the same with about any double din head unit out there so I'm not going to focus on connections, or setup. There was a couple minor modification I had to make to make all this work.
FIRST and common to all, you have to cut out and remove the metal structure in the dash that prevents a double din unit from going in.
SECOND. The size of the bezel was just a HAIR wider than the METRA adapter bezel.
THIRD: I desired to use the build in satellite antenna, the terminal on the head unit required a modification.
Lets take a look.

0522181738.jpg
Here is the unit, the forward part of the bezel protrudes into the bezel adapter. The adapter has to be slightly modified to fit.

0522181800.jpg
I took some sand paper and sanded the left and right insides of the bezel till the fit was nice. Really using a flat file would have been more effective. All you need to do is take a small mount of the back edge of the left and right side of the bezel and it fits perfectly.

0522181802.jpg

Once the bezel is seated then you can use the supplied screws to bolt the side brackets on.

The unit comes with it's own GPS antenna but I wanted to use the OEM one since it was already installed.

I'm going to borrow this picture from the thread concerning installing the T-Syle 10.4" LCD unit posted by MDIFILIPPO. The connector is the same and the same modification needs to be made.

109986-510d09cb6c88aa14792fe63b105db5f0.jpg
Cut off the alignment tabs with a razor knife. They kind of "shave off" that way so you want a smooth finish.
This way the OEM satellite antenna connector will snap right on.

All the rest of the connections are very straight forward. The instruction with the head unit are great.

The unit looks GREAT installed.

0531181004.jpg 0531181006.jpg

Using the wiring kit and and accessories outline your install should go just as smoothly.

That is the basic install. I Liked this unit so much I'm planing on taking advantage of the DVR function and getting a front camera. I'll add a rear backup camera also later. I'm also planning a 10" sub and 5 channel amp install in the near future. This head has opened up a lot of cool possibilities for my truck.
Cheers!

MK96

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I'm considering one of these units also. Since I imported a car from US, all I can tune are odd radio frequencies, but I need both, even and odd. I've got a RHB 430N unit. let us know how long this thing will last ;-) I'm interested in either 10.1" or factory looking 7". Both outperform the 2011 Mopar headunit and with all the functions included and screen resolution they also outperform modern units like Alpine, Pioneer, ... Question is for how long :)

Neil E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've been looking into the android units, even for my old car. But the main concern has been reliability. Good luck and keep us updated. Nice write up also.

Michael Fendley

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How quickly does it switch between functions? I did an upgrade to my previous truck, and it seemed to take 5-7 seconds going to/from NAV functions.

OP
OP
Dr. Righteous

Dr. Righteous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Sorry I've not been updating this thread. I've have this unit installed for over a year now and it preforms 100% fine.
Response time from app to app can very. Large apps can take a couple seconds (like GPS) but usually it switches between apps instantly.
I added a front facing camera (unit supports 720p) DVR. So whenever I'm driving I'm recording the road ahead. I've also installed a back up camera and a 4.1 channel power amp plus a 10" sub. The head unit sounds GREAT; much better than the stock unit even powered from the tiny build in amp.

Would I buy the same unit again? Probably not. Some of the other brands offer features like a built in SIMM card slot so you can assign a phone number to your truck, and have your a dedicated internet connection via cell service. This unit doesn't offer that. I have to hot spot my cell phone and connect that way.
Also it does not support ANDROID AUTO naively. you have to purchase an external dongle for the USB port to make it work at the tune of 50 bux.
But for what it does, it works great and I've not had any issue with something breaking or not working. The -only- issue I've had with this brand head unit was it crashed running WAZE after a couple hours. I've run several other GPS apps and not have the same issue. Blah, I didn't like the advertising in WAZE anyway. Right now I'm running Sygic NAV and it works great.

OP
OP
Dr. Righteous

Dr. Righteous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Just thought I would give a status report.
This unit was install in may 2018 and as far as working; I've not had any real issues. But I plan to upgrade soon mainly because it is getting old and there are some features I would like it doesn't have. I'm going to upgrade to a unit with a 10" screen plus one that has a built in audio DSP and supports Android Auto/Carplay.
This 7" screen unit is destined for my 2014 Jeep Compass we gave to the boy.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
I had that same Atoto A6 in my 05 F350. Loved it and never had issue either. I used my phone as a hotspot so for up to date traffic I'd use Google Maps. Also had Torque Pro and other apps on it for monitoring. If the unit in my RAM ever goes I'd definitely do an android again.