Another 2001 Ram Lowering Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1st Ram Sport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
Hey guys, I've recently acquired a 2001 Ram 1500 extended cab that is 4x4 with Off Road package. While I do like the Off Road package features like limited slip and 4.10 gearing, I will most likely never off road this truck and would like to lower it at least 3" front and back for an even look. This is mostly for ease for me and my kids getting in and out of truck and I do like a lower vehicle appearance.

I do have experience of lowering cars with coilovers, springs and so on, but the truck suspension setup I never go into and it's new to me.

Upon doing research, I see that the 2001 year, especially with Off Road package, seems to be the most difficult to lower.

I obviously need shorter shocks as a start to accomplish this from DJM or Belltech but what else do I need? Seems like a lot of guys are doing custom things to lower this year model and info is all over the place.

Is it possible to use a setup off of 3rd Gen Ram1500?

I do still plan to tow a car trailer with this truck every once in a while so keep that in mind.

Appreciate all the info and glad to join the Ram community.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Standard non-offroad edition coil springs will result in about a 1.5-2" drop as will the leaves for the same. Can also delete the rear block.

Problem you're going to run into is the front suspension. Dropping further you'll have problems with the track bar and clearance with the axle and engine. It won't take much to put you on bump stops

OP
OP
1st Ram Sport

1st Ram Sport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
so basically the rear is possible, front, don't mess with it

I guess it's staying the way it is

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
You might have a little wiggle room but in my research nothing else from other years or other models fits up front and nothing aftermarket is made either. You'd be cutting coils.

But yeah just leaving it would prob be best unfortunately