Another Coolant Leak Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Holy Smoke, so there are at least two versions of prestone max? And one isnt dex? That is what is appears like, and I happily stand corrected. That is awesome for you, the reason for 45-55% EG is because it is pre diluted, so for sure that version is not a dex clone. Not only that but the coolant you used if that was it might be the best choice out there, looks like a peak global life clone. So now just find the leak and fix it, buy a couple more bottles of that, coolant stores well anyhow. yeah, your good and I learned something new.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I think it is a mistake, but prestone has a bunch of lineups, and they call them all "max", lol. So this is great and great that it is purple, perfect choice as it will keep factory color. This is likely even better then peak global life because it is purple, PHL is not, so you get a funky color. This may be the best replacement choice for mopar coolant known.

OP
OP
theskier74

theskier74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Holy Smoke, so there are at least two versions of prestone max? And one isnt dex? That is what is appears like, and I happily stand corrected. That is awesome for you, the reason for 45-55% EG is because it is pre diluted, so for sure that version is not a dex clone. Not only that but the coolant you used if that was it might be the best choice out there, looks like a peak global life clone. So now just find the leak and fix it, buy a couple more bottles of that, coolant stores well anyhow. yeah, your good and I learned something new.
Woof, I was having a heart attack reading your earlier responses. This is a relief. The only thing is, on the spec sheet it only mentions Ethylene Glycol but the actual product also says contains Diethylene Glycol. I have no idea what that is but figured it would be worth the mention.

OP
OP
theskier74

theskier74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think it is a mistake, but prestone has a bunch of lineups, and they call them all "max", lol. So this is great and great that it is purple, perfect choice as it will keep factory color. This is likely even better then peak global life because it is purple, PHL is not, so you get a funky color. This may be the best replacement choice for mopar coolant known.
https://www.autozone.com/antifreeze...ic-purple-50-50-premixed-1-gallon/1277692_0_0

That is the actual product link from ol' Autozone.

The only thing is, on Autozone's website it says it is a P-HOAT. Should I be concerned about that? It says on the bottle it is compatible with OAT, which I know is recommended.

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Woof, I was having a heart attack reading your earlier responses. This is a relief. The only thing is, on the spec sheet it only mentions Ethylene Glycol but the actual product also says contains Diethylene Glycol. I have no idea what that is but figured it would be worth the mention.
DG is a by product of EG, it isnt HOAT, I will show you HOAT, least I can do after almost stroking you out.

They took away msds on hoat, but anyhow you see sds on prestone, it is only base which is OAT, not hoat. They say is compatible with hoat, but I dont buy that, it is oat according to sds.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
You can see sds on hoats, they all have stuff like borates or nitrates or stuff along those lines. You can see this sds, nothing but EG.

OP
OP
theskier74

theskier74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
DG is a by product of EG, it isnt HOAT, I will show you HOAT, least I can do after almost stroking you out.

They took away msds on hoat, but anyhow you see sds on prestone, it is only base which is OAT, not hoat. They say is compatible with hoat, but I dont buy that, it is oat according to sds.
So in non-techy terms...still good to go with this? Haha

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Prestone max ram/jeep formula is a mopar 10 year clone fluid, sds don't lie, yes your good. If I had a mopar 10 year coolant spec, I wouldn't hesistate to buy this. Purple dye, water, and EG and nothing else.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There is a difference between lifetime coolant and "universal" or all "vehicle coolant". Lifetime coolant is just base, it is a great product. What you just put in your ram is a dex clone, see the 2eha in sds. They call it universal, that couldnt be farther from the truth. Run a dye pack through the system find the leak. I guess you will just have dex cool now, hopefully it works out, true flush is not easy at all. coolant thread for more info

Coolants dont have detergents, because they are meant to leave protection on the surface and detergents would clean that off. Look into rmi 25, if you get any dex damage which is gunked up, rmi 25 takes it away and deposits into the coolant resevoir where it gets trapped.
I've seen some real ugliness in cooling systems using Dex Cool, even on vehicles where it was supposed to be used.

I would run over my grandmother to get that stuff out ASAP. And I would take great pains to ensure it's flushed good.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 95755 miles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357