Another help with this noise thread.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vegas988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi there. I hope I’m in the right forum. I have a 2014 Ram 1500 2wd. 65k miles. About 4 weeks ago I replaced the pads and rotors all around on my truck. (Powerstop extreme duty drilled and slotted for towing). Now in the past few weeks my truck has developed some strange sounds.

Sound 1: not EVERY time but half the time I will get a pretty bad clunk when I turn somewhat sharp.

Sound 2: creaking also when turning sharp at slow speeds. This sound almost seemed to happen right after we had a heavy rain I drove through.

Sound 3 and probably the most annoying: Humming. At about 45mph+ I get this humming noise almost as if I had mud tires. Doesn’t change with braking or accelerating. Also still there in neutral BUT it does seem to go away on long sweeping RIGHT turns?

I have pulled the wheels and checked the brakes. Everything is in place and tight. There is no drag. I have taken a temp gun to see if on brake gets hotter than the others. They’re all about even. I have no pull, shake, or any other symptom in the wheel or pedals.

I have also wiggled all the wheels to check for wheel bearings but they have no play. I’m stumped.

Any ideas?

FF1899

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Any chance you checked your bearings for play? Also put it up in the air and spin the tire while holding the spring feeling for roughness, even without play in the bearing it could be making noise and becoming rough internally and need replacement.

OP
OP
V

Vegas988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Any chance you checked your bearings for play? Also put it up in the air and spin the tire while holding the spring feeling for roughness, even without play in the bearing it could be making noise and becoming rough internally and need replacement.

I did just that on both sides yesterday. Checked for play. Took the brakes off and checked again. No play. Also did feel the coil and no roughness. I’m starting to think it’s not wheel bearings.